Tank for Trevor?

rf54

10 hours ago, RpMc said:

Trading a second round pick for Yannick Ngakoue doesn't fit, signing Michael Pierce doesn't fit

There is not a single player in the league that would be okay playing for a team if they came in day one and the coaches/executives/owners said, "we are tanking the season."

It's such a horrible take.

i don't even know why it's being discussed.

It comes up whenever there are perceived top end QB's as the Vikings have never really been able to draft one,.  The problem is, it's still a crap shoot.  Teddy blew out a knee, Andrew Luck had concussion and neck issues, Ryan Leaf had off the field trouble, and JaMarcus Russell was JaMarcus Russell.  Even if people are calling a specific prospect a generational talent, it's still a crap shoot.

You're guaranteed 16 games in an NFL season, there's no guarantee of even the best of prospects turning out to be franchise definers.  Tanking does one thing, and one thing only - it tanks the culture of your team.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

It comes up whenever there are perceived top end QB's as the Vikings have never really been able to draft one,.  The problem is, it's still a crap shoot.  Teddy blew out a knee, Andrew Luck had concussion and neck issues, Ryan Leaf had off the field trouble, and JaMarcus Russell was JaMarcus Russell.  Even if people are calling a specific prospect a generational talent, it's still a crap shoot.

You're guaranteed 16 games in an NFL season, there's no guarantee of even the best of prospects turning out to be franchise definers.  Tanking does one thing, and one thing only - it tanks the culture of your team.

That doesn’t even include the chance, even if it’s small, that a prospect stays in school. 

Imagine if your team decided that the plan was to “tank for Trevor”, and he decided to stay at Clemson for another year?

• Like 2

As much as I hate to say it I expected the Vikings to be ok this season I know we need get our corners experience and playing time. Game will slow down for them next year. I was completely wrong in complimenting Elflein. He had one good series and sucked badly in pass protection. I'll keep my mouth shut on him. Hopefully Bradbury has improved like our online coach says so we have at least 2 good linemen. 

We'll never be bad enough to be able to tank as long as Kirk and Dalvin are healthy. We draft well and have too much talent for that. 

I think the serious notion of tanking by a team is unprofessional.  Losing on purpose to gain a better draft position is also not very smart.  As others have pointed out in this thread, there's no such thing as a slam dunk prospect coming out of college.  Trevor Lawrence may turn out to be Andrew Luck, or he may turn out to be David Carr.  Counting on him being Andrew Luck is really dumb in my opinion.

The day the Minnesota Vikings try to win a higher draft choice by losing, is when I stop being a fan.  I don't like losing, but losing on purpose seems unethical and unprofessional to me.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And, at the end of the day, what did Andrew Luck accomplish? Did he ultimately live up to the hype that he came into the league with?

That is a big, fat No.  He was very good, but never ultimately accomplished anything, as he made the AFCC in his 4th season, but then got injured a year later, and never fully recovered, retiring 3 years later. 

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

That is a big, fat No.  He was very good, but never ultimately accomplished anything, as he made the AFCC in his 4th season, but then got injured a year later, and never fully recovered, retiring 3 years later. 

I think if he never gets hurt (or at least not as serious), we're talking about him in the same vein as Mahomes, Jackson, Peterman, Wilson, and the league's elite. Easily top-5. When playing 16, he was a lock for 4,300/30+.

Especially behind that offensive line and now with a running back like Taylor? He'd be a monster.

But.....injuries. It's a shame because Indy built that o-line especially for him since not many QB's can survive getting sacked 41 times a year

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

Tanking is done all the time in the NBA, and more so in  NHL.  It has also been suggested many times in the NFL.  As far as bringing this up because we lost 1 game, I actually have been thinking about this since Feb / March but only posted it here this week.  I did post suggest this on another board back in March.  I just started coming to this board more lately.

Tanking is not calling terrible plays, or telling your players to not do their best.  Teams , GM and HC need to have an understanding of where your team is and at some point in the season you realize your not where you need to be so play the rookies, get rid of the dead weight, get younger players more playing time as that will speed up their NFL training.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rf54 said:

Teams , GM and HC need to have an understanding of where your team is and at some point in the season you realize your not where you need to be so play the rookies, get rid of the dead weight, get younger players more playing time as that will speed up their NFL training.

And this happens all the time... when teams hit the midway point 0-8 or 1-7, are out of the playoff hunt, and on teams where their head coach is fired part way through the season.  That's not tanking.  That's admitting the season is already lost, and turning an eye to next year.

It happens more in the NBA and the NHL because of the draft lottery system.  You don't need to be the worst team in the league to get the top pick; hell, there was a possibility of a team in the NHL making the playoffs via the play in round, AND getting the number one pick this year.

Edited by RpMc

10 hours ago, rf54 said:

Tanking is done all the time in the NBA, and more so in  NHL.  It has also been suggested many times in the NFL.  As far as bringing this up because we lost 1 game, I actually have been thinking about this since Feb / March but only posted it here this week.  I did post suggest this on another board back in March.  I just started coming to this board more lately.

Tanking is not calling terrible plays, or telling your players to not do their best.  Teams , GM and HC need to have an understanding of where your team is and at some point in the season you realize your not where you need to be so play the rookies, get rid of the dead weight, get younger players more playing time as that will speed up their NFL training.

What are the main differences between the NBA/NHL and the NFL?  The number of players involved, the lottery and guaranteed salaries.  You can't convince 53 players on a roster to tank.  It's a lot easier to coordinate the "tanking" of NBA/NHL teams due to the far less number of players.  And the NBA and NHL both have guaranteed salaries, the NFL does not.  NFL players have to fight to have a job the next season, so they aren't quitting. 

If you are going to tank, the players DON'T KNOW.  Only three people need to know, the Head coach, the GM, and the owners.  Yes the owners need to have approval or the coach and GM are at very high risk of losing their jobs.  The players have too much to play for, but the coach and the GM can make subtle changes and bada bing bada boom, you are sitting at 2-14.  Changes like rookies getting lots of playing time, not addressing glaring needs in the offseason, control of the gameplan, control over what is emphasized in film, etc.