Tank for Trevor?

rf54

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The problem with the idea of having Cousins play for another year while rookie sits and learns is the inherent self-destruction of Cousins, and the natural temperament of the Minnesota fan base. It would only take one not perfect performance from Cousins and the fans would be booing and calling for the rookie to start. Which is just going to create pressure from upstairs to play the rookie, and create a lot of tension in the locker room. 

We’re seeing more and more rookie QBs coming into the league and playing well/making an impact. Like I’ve said, rip the bandaid off, and ride or die with the young guy. 

While I think the fans are a small part of the decision equation, more importantly, is what is the locker room atmosphere with a highly drafted rookie QB, while Cousins is declared a dead man walking?  I think the better thing to do would be to dump Cousins...even though it's costly, bring in a relatively cheap vet starter (Case Keenum, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor) to start for a year while the rookie waits and learns.  No mystery or tension in the locker room.

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

While I think the fans are a small part of the decision equation, more importantly, is what is the locker room atmosphere with a highly drafted rookie QB, while Cousins is declared a dead man walking?  I think the better thing to do would be to dump Cousins...even though it's costly, bring in a relatively cheap vet starter (Case Keenum, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor) to start for a year while the rookie waits and learns.  No mystery or tension in the locker room.

No matter who they have as a veteran starter next year,  it'll be hard to have them start more than a few games if we have a highly touted rookie on the bench

53 minutes ago, Hagar said:

What would happen if Lawrence is drafted by the Jets, or any team, and doesn't sign a contract because he doesn't want to play there? Has that ever happened?

This is something that Bo knows.

It happened with the Bucs drafting Bo Jackson first overall. When a drafted player doesn't sign a contract he is eligible to enter the next draft. Bo did just that and was drafted by the Raiders in the 7th round the year after the Bucs made him the first overall pick.

Bo was a heck of an athlete. A heck of a football player and a nice baseball player. It's a shame his career was cut short by that hip injury.

Edited by Cearbhall
Embed the YouTube clip for those that weren't around for Bo

13 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

It would be the luck of the Vikings to possess the number one pick in the draft and Lawrence decides not to come out!!

I would bet that if we had the #1 pick, he would probably come out.  My guess is that any apprehension he has right now is the prospect of having to play for the Jets.  There are probably a few other teams would be OK playing.  I would think he'd love to play in Atlanta, and he would be a great player to be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.  The Vikings, too, are usually at least good, they have a great stadium, a decent amount of talent on offense as of now.  I sure don't know what Trevor Lawrence is thinking, but the above would be my thoughts anyway.