Tank for Trevor?

rf54

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I wasn't in the mood to care about anything you said, but I have to admit that the last part did put a smile on my face.  Thanks buddy!

Wasn't in the mood to see the Vikings rookies play well?  Last time I checked they are not a worse football team than the Jets, or the Giants or the Jaguars.  So to have the delusion that they can get the #1 overall pick is just foolish I feel.  I am realistic, and one am glad they beat the Packers and two glad the rookies showed up and had good games in their development.  Now they just have to be able to give some of Kirk's money to Dalvin because he might actually deserve it if he can stay healthy.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Wasn't in the mood to see the Vikings rookies play well?  Last time I checked they are not a worse football team than the Jets, or the Giants or the Jaguars.  So to have the delusion that they can get the #1 overall pick is just foolish I feel.  I am realistic, and one am glad they beat the Packers and two glad the rookies showed up and had good games in their development.  Now they just have to be able to give some of Kirk's money to Dalvin because he might actually deserve it if he can stay healthy.  

You're right.  It's all good.  It's nice to see the rookies play well.  It just gets pretty discouraging to cheer for this team for over 50 years and never see them win a Super Bowl.  My dad has been a fan since 1961 and it's the same thing - nothing.  He is 90 years old and I've been holding out hope that they could do it for him while he is still alive to see it.  It's not looking too hopeful.  The rookies can be great, but without a quarterback in this day and age you're pretty much like the Washington Generals playing the Harlem Globetrotters.

Well that should pretty much put a nail in the Tank for Trevor coffin.  What to root for now?  playoff run?  We could conceivably win the next 4 -5 if we play like we did today.  Need to get healthy at CB in a hurry.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You're right.  It's all good.  It's nice to see the rookies play well.  It just gets pretty discouraging to cheer for this team for over 50 years and never see them win a Super Bowl.  My dad has been a fan since 1961 and it's the same thing - nothing.  He is 90 years old and I've been holding out hope that they could do it for him while he is still alive to see it.  It's not looking too hopeful.  The rookies can be great, but without a quarterback in this day and age you're pretty much like the Washington Generals playing the Harlem Globetrotters.

The last #1 pick at QB to win a Super bowl not named Eli Manning or Peyton Manning was John Elway in 1999.  Peyton won 2 and Eli won 2 in 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2015.  

Obviously those guys were outliers in the situation.  Not all #1 picks at QB go on to lead their team to NFL glory.  Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Matthew Stafford, Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith.   Then after all of them was Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Mike Vick, Tim Couch and Peyton Manning. 

Granted Arch Manning, Cooper Manning's son and Peyton/Eli's nephew can ball so maybe with him who is a SOPH in high school currently.

7 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Currently picking 9th. I’ll update my top 10 post after the MNF game. 

I'm getting a kick out of Vikings fans on SKOR North Vent Line saying that this win puts us out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, but Fields would look good in purple.  As you said Dan, we are currently picking 9th, and 7 of the 8 teams above us probably need a quarterback as badly as we do.  While this win was enjoyable for the day, it was probably devastating to our future. 

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm getting a kick out of Vikings fans on SKOR North Vent Line saying that this win puts us out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, but Fields would look good in purple.  As you said Dan, we are currently picking 9th, and 7 of the 8 teams above us probably need a quarterback as badly as we do.  While this win was enjoyable for the day, it was probably devastating to our future. 

Draft position is far from final. We’ve got 9 games left. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That is a loser mentality if I ever heard one.  So beating a potential Super Bowl contending Packer team who is 5-1 being a Viking team at 1-5 is not awesome how?  Beating the Packers is never a bad thing in life.

The Vikings play the Lions twice, Bears twice, Jaguars, Dallas, Carolina, Tampa and the Saints.  Sure some of those are great teams some are not and to just can the season and lose out when guess what the Jets, Jaguars and Giants are far worse football teams and rosters.  Yeah that is ridiculous.  Vikings are still in the running hopefully for Trey Lance and if not him then Alex Leatherwood, Jackson Carman, Jaylen Waddle, Devonte Smith, Gregory Rousseau, Josh Myers, Wyatt Davis, Patrick Surtain Jr., Jalen Twyman or Shaun Wade etc.  

To just lose to lose, sure at first it was great to dream big dreams but hard to not be impressed with what the team has done a few times this year which shows they are obviously a lot better than that record.  They do have the best RB arguably in the NFL right now, one of the best receivers in the NFL, one of the best rookie receivers in the NFL, two of the best safeties as a duo in the NFL, one of the best ILBs in the NFL and are missing one of the best defensive ends in the NFL who cannot play and one of the better OLBs in the NFL who is injured as well.  Shows just how much parity there is in the league which is a very good thing.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Being ok with losing is far worse to the team’s future than picking later in the draft. Breeding a losing mentality is very difficult to reverse, and would take a lot more than talented QB to do it.

Edited by SemperFeist

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Being ok with losing is far worse to the team’s future than picking later in the draft. Breeding a losing mentality is very difficult to reverse, and would take a lot more than talented QB to do it.

How is fans being ok with losing at all important to the team? Or are we not talking about the fans?

In any event, no way they pick first now, imo. Which is fine with me.

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

How is fans being ok with losing at all important to the team? Or are we not talking about the fans?

In any event, no way they pick first now, imo. Which is fine with me.

It’s not about the fans. It’s about the idea that the team should have rolled over and played for draft position. 

Edited by SemperFeist