rf54

Tank for Trevor?

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Before the season started I was predicting a 6 win season.  Going into Week 1, I tried to buy the hype and convince myself we could win as many as 8 games.  Based on how they have looked, however, I'm actually starting to think we are probably looking at a maximum of 4 wins, and could actually see a 1 or 2 win season a possibility based on the way we looked in Week 2 (I didn't watch Week 1.  Only listened on the radio).

Week 1:  Green Bay Packers  -  Lost
Week 2:  Indianapolis Colts  -  Lost

Week 3:  Tennessee Titans
Week 4:  @ Houston Texans
Week 5:  @ Seattle Seahawks   (Sunday Night)
Week 6:  Atlanta Falcons
Week 7:  Bye
Week 8:  @ Green Bay Packers
Week 9:  Detroit Lions
Week 10:  @ Chicago Bears
Week 11:  Dallas Cowboys
Week 12:  Carolina Panthers
Week 13:  Jacksonville Jaguars
Week 14:  @ Tampa Bay Bucaneers
Week 15:  Chicago Bears
Week 16:  @ New Orleans Saints
Week 17:  @ Detroit Lions

Looking at this schedule, the only games I see where we have a decent shot at winning would be Carolina, Jacksonville, or either of the Detroit match-ups.  There could also be that strange situation where we pull out a win against a good team that nobody sees coming.  Other than that, we may actually be in the running for the #1 pick.   

Keep your chin up, Buck...I still don't see a maximum of 4...I still believe they can turn it around...it just has to happen fast.  

Just now, swede700 said:

Keep your chin up, Buck...I still don't see a maximum of 4...I still believe they can turn it around...it just has to happen fast.  

No worries.  BOTH of my chins are up!  :D 

• Like 2

This Covid year is weird.

You want to win?  Have a veteran QB with vet talent on offense.  For the Vikes?  That's two check marks for "yes".  You have that.  At least you have enough of that.

Every defense is going to struggle when facing a vet qb with vet guys around him.  No noise is to the QB's advantage.  You want to "win" on defense?  Better have great corners and a pass rush.  Vikes have no such corners (yet) and the best pass rushers are either injured or getting into shape and up to speed on the defense.  So of the 4 things you need to win, you have two right now, and will likely have 3 at some time this season.

You are going to struggle early, and then be tough towards the mid to end of the year.  Corners need reps, rushers need to be healthy.  And it helps if you can face QB's who aren't legends like Rivers and Rodgers.  Though Rivers is old and not mobile, he's gonna read every defense out there and put himself into good plays against any defense right now.  Same goes for Rodgers, though his skills are much better than Rivers at this point.

This week?  Tannehill and the Titans.  While he's gotten better, Tannehill isn't going to pick you apart with schemes and plays like Rodgers or Rivers did.  

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This week?  Tannehill and the Titans.  While he's gotten better, Tannehill isn't going to pick you apart with schemes and plays like Rodgers or Rivers did.  

I tend to agree.  While Tannehill is certainly a better QB at this point than he ever was in Miami, I wouldn't put him in the same class as those 2. He's good for what the Titans ask him to do,  but they don't ask him to do a whole lot.   But, as was the case for these last 2 games (even more especially yesterday), it's not about what the opposing QB is doing, but what the Vikings are not doing. If they do the same things that they have been, they will get the same results.

I think the thing that surprised me most about the game against Indy, was not the play of Cousins (as a card carrying member of the Cousins Pessimist Club, I kind of expect his to perform at that level every week.  I'm still surprised when he plays well).  No, the thing that surprised me the most was that there was really no improvement in the play of the secondary after week one.  Now, most of their stinkiness is tied directly to the lack of pressure on the opposing quarterback from the defense.  I didn't really see anything scheme wise to bring more pressure to help the secondary.  It seemed to me that the defense was designed to stop the run...which, or course, they really couldn't do.

Right now, the defensive secondary stinks the most...but it really should be a much more pervasive stink on all the defensive players and coaches (with the exception of Kendricks).  I would like to think that things defensively will improve this week.  However, the Titans might have the 2nd best OL after Indy, THE best running back currently playing, and a quarterback who seems to improve with every game he plays in the Titan offense.  As I look at the schedule, I'm not sure I see a game where the defense is given the chance to right the ship.

This leaves the offense needing to carry the team.  Teams are going to score against our defense...if we win a game it will be in a close offensive shoot out.  But, there has to be a massive amount of improvement in the play of the quarterback, and the play calling.  I do think that Cousins can play better than he's shown the last two weeks, but, he needs a lot of help from the offensive line (which, ironically, in the first two games is the strongest part of the offense!!!) and the receiver corps.  The team will need to get Jefferson on the field more, and give him opportunities.  Even if it means taking Theilen out of the slot and moving him to an exterior receiving position.  Kirk needs to learn that he can throw the ball in the middle of the field.  He has to get Rudolph and Smith more involved.  Finally, Kubiak has to put some new wrinkles into this offense.  His play calling has been conservative and predictable.  Running the Shanahan system requires first rate talent that the Vikings just don't have at the moment.

I don't want to believe that the season is going to be so bad that the Vikings will earn a top 5 pick in the draft.  Like @swede700 said, if the team is to turn things around, it has to be now!  It's not out of the realm of possibilities...yet the possibility seems more and more distant just two weeks into the season.

• Like 1

One of the consequences of a disintegrating season is that the 2nd round pick we just traded away for Ngakoue might end up being a top 45 pick.  Also, we obviously can't use that pick to trade up in the draft.  How difficult would it be to move up without that second round pick, unless we throw in picks from the 2022 draft?

Edited by perrynoid
spelling

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

One of the consequences of a disintegrating season is that the 2nd round pick we just traded away for Ngakoue might end up being a top 45 pick.  Also, we obviously can't use that pick to trade up in the draft.  How difficult would it be to move up without that second round pick, unless we throw in picks from the 2022 draft?

If the team finds a way to sign Ngakoue, the trade is still worth it. Regardless where they end up picking. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the team finds a way to sign Ngakoue, the trade is still worth it. Regardless where they end up picking. 

Yep.  He should be worth even a high second round pick, and we needed a pass rusher anyway.  We got a good one.  We just need to make sure we can re-sign him or it was a big waste.

Edited by Uncle Buck

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yep.  He should be worth even a high second round pick, and we needed a pass rusher anyway.  We got a good one.  We just need to make sure we can re-sign him or it was a big waste.

I have no issues with the long term implications of the trade as long as he gets a long term deal. Hes a young player and could form a fantastic pass rush duo with Hunter for many years. That’s easily worth a second and if the defense needs to be retooled as it does, having two young premier edge rushers is a great start. Obviously the interior line is the biggest problem at the moment and the CBs need more experience to figure it out.

• Like 1

If we get a top 5 pick, I'll be hoping for a QB selection, but I think the management is too proud to select QB that high. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If we get a top 5 pick, I'll be hoping for a QB selection, but I think the management is too proud to select QB that high. 

If we get a Top 5 pick id be surprised if the management is still here

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

If we get a Top 5 pick id be surprised if the management is still here

We have them brand new extensions a couple months ago that might not have even kicked in yet. They'll be here

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

We have them brand new extensions a couple months ago that might not have even kicked in yet. They'll be here

Childress signed an extension not long before getting fired

Obviously the wilfs don't plan on firing them now but I think they would if things get bad enough

Maybe they'll be able to convince the wilfs that it was a rebuilding year in a messed up year and they'll get some more time

27 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Teams, including the Vikings, have shown time and time again that contracts for coaches and front office personnel don’t matter. 

Zimmer and Spielman were reportedly on the hot seat before the Saints playoff game. A complete collapse of a season when they were expected to be a playoff team is going to get Zimmer and Spielman fired.