QB to start your Franchise

RUGmen

You’re the GM of an expansion team and you get to pick any QB in NFL history to build your franchise around. Who are you choosing?

For me, it’s Peyton Manning and it’s not even close. He is one of the few QBs you can stick into any team/system and they would be successful. 2000s Browns would be a SB contender with a Prime Peyton.

Edited by RUGmen
  • Like 1

Manning on an expansion team?

• In Manning's first 144 games he had a HoF WR in the huddle for 138 of them. (Harrison)
  • For 157 of his last 160 as a Colt he had Reggie Wayne.
    • For the 8 years he had both of them Marvin only missed 14 games and Wayne missed 3.
  • Edge was there from 1999 through 2005 and he only missed 16  games in 7 years.
    • In 1998 Manning got to play 16 with Marshall Faulk and 12 with Harrison.
  • When he got his coach killed in 2001 without Edge (3-7 in those 10) they kept his offense and offensive coaches for the transition to Dungy.
  • Tarik Glenn had his blindside for his first 80 games and 138 of his first 144 games.
  • Jeff Saturday took over in year 3 and anchored that line for 170 of 176 games in 11 seasons with Manning.

Bill Polian absolutely smothered that guy in talent.

What about any of this makes him some superior plug and play guy who can succeed on an expansion team? 🤣

Is it because he took over a Broncos team that Tebow went 7-4 with and won a playoff game?

Edited by SkippyX

12 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Manning on an expansion team?

• In Manning's first 144 games he had a HoF WR in the huddle for 138 of them. (Harrison)
  • For 157 of his last 160 as a Colt he had Reggie Wayne.
    • For the 8 years he had both of them Marvin only missed 14 games and Wayne missed 3.
  • Edge was there from 1999 through 2005 and he only missed 16  games in 7 years.
    • In 1998 Manning got to play 16 with Marshall Faulk and 12 with Harrison.
  • When he got his coach killed in 2001 without Edge (3-7 in those 10) they kept his offense and offensive coaches for the transition to Dungy.
  • Tarik Glenn had his blindside for his first 80 games and 138 of his first 144 games.
  • Jeff Saturday took over in year 3 and anchored that line for 170 of 176 games in 11 seasons with Manning.

Bill Polian absolutely smothered that guy in talent.

What about any of this makes him some superior plug and play guy who can succeed on an expansion team? 🤣

Is it because he took over a Broncos team that Tebow went 7-4 with and won a playoff game?

No denying the fact he’s had talented rosters but what about 2-14 year without him? Were the later 2000s team really that talented?

Is this a QB in his prime or is he drafted to said franchise?

I’ll go in a different direction. Call it a homer pick, but Lamar Jackson.

Expansion roster likely means a busted OL, Lamar is an instant run game. Turning the 31st best rushing team through 9 games prior to his first start into one of the most prolific rushing attack units in NFL history.

The Ravens have an All Pro level TE in Mark Andrews and pro bowl caliber talent in Hollywood Brown, but even last season with a gimpy Brown that wasn’t on this same level... Lamar had one of the best QB seasons of all time.

Expansion roster? Being able to get an instant run game and be efficient in the passing attack is likely my best bet at fielding a competitive football team quickly. I also have to think about who would be most exciting to bring fans into the seats and really get my franchise rolling. Lamar is one of the most exciting offensive players to ever play the game in only his first couple seasons playing.

If not Lamar than I’m probably going with either Russell Wilson or Peyton Manning. Wilson because his mobility and passing skillset would lend itself well behind a potentially turd level OL.

Manning because he’s IMO the best QB of all time, I’ll concede Brady as the greatest (when considering the accolades and all), but when I’m simply looking at best... it’s probably Peyton Manning or Steve Young. Manning would give me a longer prime and in this scenario I think he’d hold up better behind what’s likely a suspect OL. What’s more, speaking of excitement, Manning was probably the most exciting pocket passing QB of all time. The way he commanded the offense was box office. As a young franchise in need of building a large following, I’m going to have better luck with Manning growing my market. He could make any small market team into a seemingly bigger market. He’s also got great marketability off of the football field. Those Baker Mayfield progressive commercials are pretty funny with Mayfield, even funnier would be Manning.

So yeah my top 3 would be Lamar, Manning, Wilson.

Edited by diamondbull424