QB to start your Franchise

RUGmen

On 9/15/2020 at 12:07 AM, RUGmen said:

You’re the GM of an expansion team and you get to pick any QB in NFL history to build your franchise around. Who are you choosing?

For me, it’s Peyton Manning and it’s not even close. He is one of the few QBs you can stick into any team/system and they would be successful. 2000s Browns would be a SB contender with a Prime Peyton.

You do realize Peyton played the exact same system his entire career right? 

23 hours ago, RUGmen said:

No denying the fact he’s had talented rosters but what about 2-14 year without him? Were the later 2000s team really that talented?

His team was already on the decline by 2010. His team dropped 8 games without him (compared to for example the 5 games the 08 Patriots dropped without Brady, which is the comparison everyone likes to make) 

Curtis Painter and Kerry Collins were not even serviceable back ups and were bounced from the league after that season. You didn’t go from Peyton to a mid tier level back up. You went fron Peyton to arguably the worst QB’s that were allowed in the league. Bill Belichick has cited that season as the Colts “getting caught with their pants down” and is why he takes back up QB seriously. 

Take any 10-6 team and give them Painter to start and watch what happens. Hell if you took Seattle now which should be a playoff team and flipped Wilson for 2011 Painter, they would be thinking about whether they should think about the future and draft Lawrence 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:07 AM, RUGmen said:

2000s Browns would be a SB contender with a Prime Peyton.

They almost certainly would not have been, unless we're completely changing history.  Prime Peyton wouldn't be throwing to prime Marvin and Reggie and Clark if he was in Cleveland, and he "only" made 2 Super Bowls with that group.  

I can't think of any Browns team that would have been contenders with him outside of the 2007 team, and they wouldn't have beaten the Patriots that year.  Especially playing in a division with the Steelers and Ravens, who almost always had far better rosters than the Browns.  

Edited by iknowcool

22 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

They almost certainly would not have been, unless we're completely changing history.  Prime Peyton wouldn't be throwing to prime Marvin and Reggie and Clark if he was in Cleveland, and he "only" made 2 Super Bowls with that group.  

I can't think of any Browns team that would have been contenders with him outside of the 2007 team, and they wouldn't have beaten the Patriots that year.  Especially playing in a division with the Steelers and Ravens, who almost always had far better rosters than the Browns.  

You keep citing Marvin which is obviously a HoF WR but let’s not disregard the fact that Peyton has made no names into Pro Bowlers.

How did Julius Thomas and Demariyous Thomas play after Peyton?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

What's ironic is how far down Brady would be on most lists. 

My team would be a run-based team, anyhow. I just need a game-manager at QB. 

Brady would be near the top on my list if I am given at least an average OL. I think he automatically makes a line better than it is, anyways.

8 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

You keep citing Marvin which is obviously a HoF WR but let’s not disregard the fact that Peyton has made no names into Pro Bowlers.

Demaryius Thomas was a 1000 yard receiver in 2015 when Peyton was trash and Brock took most snaps, then the next year he was a 1000 yard receiver with Simian. He was a pro bowler both years. He was just under 1000 in 2017 despite the team being godawful at QB and still led the team in receptions, yards, and TD’s. 

Then in 2018 he declined. Thomas was routinely considered a top 5 QB in the league in the 2010’s and proved he was high level even without him. 

Reggie Wayne had his second best season ever with Andrew Luck as a rookie. 

Peyton never played a year without either Harrison, Wayne, or Thomas on his roster.

In fact his Denver team was so deep that Wes Welker was a number 3 WR.

15 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Brady would be near the top on my list if I am given at least an average OL. I think he automatically makes a line better than it is, anyways.

Same here. He’s one of the few modern QB’s that legitimately has been forced to play in many different schemes and systems throughout his career and had excelled with a wide variety of receiver talent. He’s also only had one major injury in a 20 year career so you are getting a ton of play time with him. 

Edited by lancerman

26 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

Demaryius Thomas had an 1,000 yard season with Trevor Sieman the following year.  And before Peyton got that, he played as well as any WR could have with Tim Tebow, and made the huge play that won them the game over Pitt.

Let's not do the thing where we underrate every player around Peyton.  If you watched Thomas those years and think it was Peyton making him good, then I don't know what to tell you.  They were great for each other.  Manning wasn't the guy who was going to push the ball downfield with consistency anymore.  Thomas excelled taking those short/underneath passes and cashing out on them.  To this day I don't think I have ever seen a team throw more WRs screens than Denver with Peyton to Thomas.  

Who on the Browns would have even come close to being as good as Thomas?  You can maybe argue Braylon Edwards, but having Peyton wouldn't have fixed his terrible hands.  And forget about receivers.  What about the running game?  And coaches?  And defense?  Denver got throttled in the Super Bowl, and only won in 2015 because of their defense.  Again, which Browns team comes close to those Broncos or Colts teams in regard to talent?

Peyton struggled IN HIS PRIME getting out the first round/first game most years with the Colts.  Yet you're saying he would have made the Browns a Super Bowl contender.  It doesn't make any sense.  You would literally have to change the Browns roster and coaching in the 2000s for that to be true, and when you do that, it makes "Peyton would have made the 2000s Browns a contender" not an impressive thing.  

• Like 1

I'd have to go with the guy who's a proven winner with multiple super bowls and MVPs, is known for carrying an offense with often limited weapons, has had a 20 year career and on top of it all often played on a discounted contract. 

I think that any other answer than Tom Brady is wrong. Joe Montana can be his backup for guaranteed wins in the Super Bowls. 

14 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I'd go best prospect, which is Elway or Manning.

Most of the QBs listed landed in pretty good organizations and/or with good coaches. Quite possible they have nowhere near the success playing in Cleveland or in Jim Bob Cooters system.

I'm going to guess you're a Broncos fan? 

On 9/16/2020 at 11:26 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd pick between Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. They're the only QB's I've seen able to survive without being smothered in talent around them.

So we're saying Aaron Rodgers has drowned without talent around him and that it's necessary for him to succeed in the NFL? Idk that I can agree with that sentiment biased or not.