QB to start your Franchise

RUGmen

6 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Are you disputing Elway as one of the best QB prospects ever?

I'm stating that if I have my pick of the litter between every QB in the NFL that has stepped on the field to start my franchise with, Elway wouldn't be at the top. 

This thread reminds me of an old forum that I used to use. We would do a GM signup for all 32 teams with a randomized draft order to which teams would build their greatest of all time rosters, including a coaching staff and defensive scheme - At the end of it, teams would face off versus one another in the general chat with wins being done by poll votes for which team would beat the other. It was a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

Maybe off topic, but in the past I've tried to think of players drafted or traded for that, while not singlehandedly, played a huge role in turning around their franchise.  Barry Sanders and Lawrence Taylor pop into my head for non QB's, for QB's I think it can be a bit trickier because they're often accompanied by a new coach.  Brady and Belichick both got to New England in 2000, Joe Montana and Bill Walsh both to SF in 1979.  Peyton arrived in Indy with Jim Mora, but had success with three coaches.  I always thought Peyton was the better QB up until he got hurt.  Brady wasn't even considered an elite QB until after he won three super bowls.  If you don't believe me look through the old FF site (if it's possible) and find posters top ten QB's around 2003-2006.  I think I'd probably give Peyton the nod, then maybe Brady.  Russell Wilson may be another one.

3 hours ago, AntonChigurh said:

Kyler Murray

Combines the talent of Patrick Mahomes/Lamar Jackson into one human being 

Yet he's not as good as either of them. I know you like him a lot but there's sooooo many better QBs (at the moment - maybe he'll end up in the GOAT conversation you never know) to start a franchise with. 
Brady 
Montana
Manning
Mahomes
Marino
just to name a few

Edited by MagicMT
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:38 AM, RUGmen said:

No denying the fact he’s had talented rosters but what about 2-14 year without him?

Feel like this gets brought up a lot with players - performance when they’re not around - but context is oft forgotten. 

The Pats’ record sans Brady gets brought up a lot, but not many people mention that those absences were fielded with two QBs that would make the playoffs with other teams and a third that is a solid backup in this league, at least. They also QB’d a roster that either just went 18-1 (07) or would win the SB (16). Meanwhile, the Colts fielded Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky, and the skeleton of Kerry Collins. Consider the talent of the teams + who stepped in, you get those type of results. If NE trotted out Curtis Painter or Dan Orlovsky on the 2010 team, things look quite different. 

Not intending to make this a Brady/Manning thing, just mentioning that context matters. Peyton was undoubtedly elevating the 2010 roster (that did have a first round exit FWIW) but if you put legitimate roster garbage on the field at QB, you’re not going to win games. Especially with an average coach.

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

Yet he's not as good as either of them. I know you like him a lot but there's sooooo many better QBs (at the moment - maybe he'll end up in the GOAT conversation you never know) to start a franchise with. 
Brady 
Montana
Manning
Mahomes
Marino
just to name a few

Kyler is on Lamar's talent level as a runner

And he is similar level to Mahomes throwing wise. 

Its not inconceivable to have him in this conversation. 

Ill hang my hat on that

From reading this thread it's Manning, Russ and Elway. Each have their own reasons which are all fantastic.

Manning because of his system, brains to get anyone in the right position to succeed on offense. Russ because in the past 15 years idk if any QB has done more with less. Elway because his all around tools and early in his career he showed the ability to carry horrible teams to multiple super bowl appearances.

Having the football IQ is great and having a superb arm and touch is lovely but IMO on an expansion team likely to go 2-14 or something I'm looking for a leader of men, a teak tough SoB who will create belief in others and not take a backward step......... I'm taking Brett Favre and I'll put up with his 30 interception rookie year as I know he'll drag the team kicking and screaming into contention 😀😁