Week 2: Washington Football Team (1-0) @ Arizona Cardinals (1-0) 4 PM on FOX

MikeT14

58 minutes ago, 4209 said:

I agree and this is how to slow down this type of Off that is to shorten the game.  The problem is the Off is its early infancy stage therefore they really are unaware of what they are capable of. We have no RG and we have a young QB. The D will have to carry this team early and often b/c it might take longer for this Off to find its rhythm. So we may have to win this way for a while. This is just the wrong time and wrong team to be playing this early in the season.  Certainly looks bad on paper. 

Until the left side of our OL steps up or is replaced by hopefully more serviceable players like Charles/Lucas and Scherweitzer at guard, it’s going to be near impossible to run the ball. Logan Thomas isn’t a good blocker - he’s Jordan Reed 2.0 - and Christian/Martin looked really awful on a handful or plays or more both at pass blocking and run blocking. Now, Martin did go against some good vet DTs (Fletcher Cox & Malik Jackson) but still their performances have to improve or we won’t run the ball effectively. Adrian Peterson wouldn’t have even garnered 50 yards w/ that blocking last week. Until that improves, we won’t see over 100 yards rushing unless it’s bc of Haskins scrambling.

In the second half we went with a more short passing game which replaced the running game - like Gruden did in 2016 & 17 - we may have to do that all year if our run blocking doesn’t improve.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4209 said:

I agree and this is how to slow down this type of Off that is to shorten the game.  The problem is the Off is its early infancy stage therefore they really are unaware of what they are capable of. We have no RG and we have a young QB. The D will have to carry this team early and often b/c it might take longer for this Off to find its rhythm. So we may have to win this way for a while. This is just the wrong time and wrong team to be playing this early in the season.  Certainly looks bad on paper. 

The D is also going to hit it's struggle.  We are changing systems on both sides of the ball.  The offensive line has their own system adjustment as well.  These things take time, and likely at least a season (maybe more) for things to shake out, as well as get the right personnel in to be the right fit.  That's a big reason why you haven't seen Scherff extended, they want to see if he can stay healthy, as well as his fit for the ZBS.  

• Like 2

I think the game will be close, it will come down to 4th quarter execution. We figured out how to stop the Phila TEs thanks to halftime adjustments, we can bracket DHop too. The Cards OL will be better than Phila’s but we should get good pressure, we just have to contain Murray.

I mean why would Haskins play that much worse than he did in the 2nd half of last week? The Cards D is good but them & the Eagles D is about equal. The first half was like a preseason game for him & our young offense last week. We probably lose 27-24 or 31-24 but there’s a chance we win.

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The D is also going to hit it's struggle.  We are changing systems on both sides of the ball.  The offensive line has their own system adjustment as well.  These things take time, and likely at least a season (maybe more) for things to shake out, as well as get the right personnel in to be the right fit.  That's a big reason why you haven't seen Scherff extended, they want to see if he can stay healthy, as well as his fit for the ZBS.  

That and Scherff has to prove he can stay healthy. If he wants to be paid like Zach Martin of the Cowboys, he has to stay healthy.

This week going to be interesting watched Hopkins highlights from week one and seemed there game plan vs cards was get ball quick,which I expect to be similar vs us,Fuller being healthy will be interesting,after watching highlight I think I'd keep Jimmy outside this week even vs D Hop as it was a lot of passes to the side line or screens both of which I feel is Jimmy's strength to play against.let Fuller play the slot vs Fitz/Catch Hopkins getting passed off inside in zone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The Cards D is good but them & the Eagles D is about equal.

The Cardinals’ defense is not good. They were 28th by points and dead last by yards on defense last season. 

They were decent against the Niners last week, and it’s entirely possible that our moribund offense will make them look good this week, but there’s not much track record there at this point to think those guys are some kind of tough test defensively. 

People are real fired up to crown the Cardinals right now, but as far as I’m concerned, until further notice, they are who we thought they were. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The Cardinals’ defense is not good. They were 28th by points and dead last by yards on defense last season. 

They were decent against the Niners last week, and it’s entirely possible that our moribund offense will make them look good this week, but there’s not much track record there at this point to think those guys are some kind of tough test defensively. 

People are real fired up to crown the Cardinals right now, but as far as I’m concerned, until further notice, they are who we thought they were. 

This is not last season. They signed Jordan Phillips to help their DL, he had 9.5 sacks for the Bills last year and they drafted Isaiah Simmons. Last year is irrelevant.

The left side of our OL is going to face Chandler Jones & Jordan Phillips they had a combined 28.5 sacks last year. Chandler Jones had a sack last week against Trent Williams, what do you think he’s going to do to Gerron Christian?

Patrick Peterson can hold Terry mostly in check by himself allowing the rest of their back 7 to focus on covering Inman, S. Sims, Logan Thomas & our RBs.

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I do think they got better in Free agency and the draft for sure on defense,but also agree they played a niners team missing top 3 wrs and top player Kittle was basically useless 2nd half after a knee sprain in 1st half,so not ready to crown their defense either.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

This is not last season. They signed Jordan Phillips to help their DL, he had 9.5 sacks for the Bills last year and they drafted Isaiah Simmons. Last year is irrelevant.

The left side of our OL is going to face Chandler Jones & Jordan Phillips they had a combined 28.5 sacks last year. Chandler Jones had a sack last week against Trent Williams, what do you think he’s going to do to Gerron Christian?

Patrick Peterson can hold Terry mostly in check by himself allowing the rest of their back 7 to focus on covering Inman, S. Sims, Logan Thomas & our RBs.

In literally three consecutive sentences, you said “this is not last season”; “look how good Jordan Phillips was last year”; and “last year is irrelevant.”

Jordan Phillips was one of the most overrated players in last year’s FA market, with the sole appeal being his 2019 sack total. He still graded out as an average or worse pass-rusher by most of the more advanced metrics — which makes sense, because he had 5.5 sacks in 60 career games before last season. And lo and behold, in week one (since last year is irrelevant), he was already reduced to splitting snaps with Zach Allen and Angelo Blackson. Both of those guys mustered a sack, by the way — Phillips didn’t enter the stat sheet in any way on his 31 snaps, not a sack or a tackle or an assist or a QB hit to be found. So let’s just say I’m not quite as concerned about him as I was about Fletcher Cox and Malik Jackson. 

Chandler Jones is awesome. But he was also awesome last year, when their defense sucked something fierce, so I don’t know that he can be a one-man band. 

Isaiah Simmons played 18 snaps last week. For reference, that’s fewer than Kamren Curl played for us. On one of those few snaps, he got absolutely roasted by Raheem Mostert for a 76 yard TD catch. I’m not living in fear of him either (not yet, at least). 

They have some other good players. Budda Baker is good. Patrick Peterson is still good, although Slay is better and McLaurin did okay against him. I’ve always liked Jordan Hicks when he could stay healthy. I’m intrigued to see how Byron Murphy holds up as a rookie.

But they were still horrible last year, even with most of those guys, and I don’t think they’ve added nearly enough to go from “worst in the league” to “good” in people’s minds. And I’m certainly not convinced by a mediocre week one outing against a Niners team with Deebo and Aiyuk out, Kittle hobbled, and Coleman limited. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

In literally three consecutive sentences, you said “this is not last season”; “look how good Jordan Phillips was last year”; and “last year is irrelevant.”

Jordan Phillips was one of the most overrated players in last year’s FA market, with the sole appeal being his 2019 sack total. He still graded out as an average or worse pass-rusher by most of the more advanced metrics — which makes sense, because he had 5.5 sacks in 60 career games before last season. And lo and behold, in week one (since last year is irrelevant), he was already reduced to splitting snaps with Zach Allen and Angelo Blackson. Both of those guys mustered a sack, by the way — Phillips didn’t enter the stat sheet in any way on his 31 snaps, not a sack or a tackle or an assist or a QB hit to be found. So let’s just say I’m not quite as concerned about him as I was about Fletcher Cox and Malik Jackson. 

Chandler Jones is awesome. But he was also awesome last year, when their defense sucked something fierce, so I don’t know that he can be a one-man band. 

Isaiah Simmons played 18 snaps last week. For reference, that’s fewer than Kamren Curl played for us. On one of those few snaps, he got absolutely roasted by Raheem Mostert for a 76 yard TD catch. I’m not living in fear of him either (not yet, at least). 

They have some other good players. Budda Baker is good. Patrick Peterson is still good, although Slay is better and McLaurin did okay against him. I’ve always liked Jordan Hicks when he could stay healthy. I’m intrigued to see how Byron Murphy holds up as a rookie.

But they were still horrible last year, even with most of those guys, and I don’t think they’ve added nearly enough to go from “worst in the league” to “good” in people’s minds. And I’m certainly not convinced by a mediocre week one outing against a Niners team with Deebo and Aiyuk out, Kittle hobbled, and Coleman limited. 

With all that about the Cards D tell me what about the Washington offense scares them? How can Washington beat their D?