theJ

MY BAD - CARP WEEK

They obviously missed Geno and Daniels.  The rush D was brutal.

Joe is good. 

The offensive line is not.

You can have all the WR's and RB's you want, but the offensive line is killing this team.  Again.  How many years do we need to say this before they realize Bobby Hart is actually not good at football?  Incredible.

Side note: I really like what i'm seeing from Drew Sample.  They're utilizing a lot of 2 TE sets, but if they didn't have Uzomah he probably would have had a 10 catch game.  I think it was first catch that really caught me eye.  Burrow threw a lazer slightly behind him and he just snagged it in stride and kept going.  I like it.

• Like 3

The other thing: they need to hit some big plays.  Probably impossible with this line, but trying to smash out 14 play drives when your opponent runs the ball 4 times and gets the same yardage you just got...it's just not a winning recipe.

Ok, that was the negativity.  Here's the positive thing:

This team did not quit.  It would have been really easy to just fold when they went down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter.  But they kept fighting.  And they got some scores even with all the offensive problems they have.

Man, if the line could block...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

This team did not quit.  It would have been really easy to just fold when they went down 2 scores in the 3rd quarter.  But they kept fighting.  And they got some scores even with all the offensive problems they have.

If we had a competent offensive line I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think we could be 2-0, even with the defensive deficiencies. 

I was starting to think after week 1 maybe this defense won’t be a bottom 5 unit, but alas (same thing happened last year @  Seattle). Hopefully Geno and Daniels provide something when they return.

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

3 Biggest Initial Takeaways:

1. Joe Burrow is legit. I’ve seen enough. He’s of that Deshaun Watson caliber. We’re set for the next 10+ years with premier QB play. 

2. Father time has either caught up with AJ Green, the injuries have hampered his game, or he’s not in game shape after being out for so long and missing pretty much all of TC. Whatever it is, he’s not looking like the AJ Green of old. He appears a step slower and just isn’t making the plays we are used to seeing him make.

3. Bobby Hart and Fred Johnson should be walking home tonight. Absolutely horrendous, indefensible play as per usual from Hart. He is going to get Burrow injured eventually. The contract Mixon got should have been handed to a right tackle/guard this upcoming free agency. 

Just to add onto this:

4. John Ross is not good at football. I’m no longer pretending like there is potential there. I can’t really remember watching a more unnatural receiver from memory. He’s constantly either fighting the football, oblivious to the throw, or makes a mental error leading to a lost down. Every ball his way seems to fall incomplete. Unless Burrow/Dalton hits him in the chest, chances are it’s a lost cause. I get he’s our only speed receiver and provides at least the theoretical threat of going deep, but there’s no way he’s the third best receiving option on the team. Higgins looked to have overtaken him in the 2nd half last night. I look forward to watching him develop because he looked much better. 

5. Lou Anarumo needs to be on a short leash. I understand that Geno, Daniels, and Waynes are sidelined, but he appeared to get flat out out-coached last night. The defense looks unprepared. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

. Lou Anarumo needs to be on a short leash. I understand that Geno, Daniels, and Waynes are sidelined, but he appeared to get flat out out-coached last night. The defense looks unprepared. 

Our defense is missing that dominant edge rusher it seems almost every team in the NFL has one but us 

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Our defense is missing that dominant edge rusher it seems almost every team in the NFL has one but us 

Yeah maybe they don't have a dominate one, but they have three really good ones.  Problem is that they can't rush because they're always chasing a RB.  It's really difficult to rush the passer when the opposing RB is always averaging 8.0 YPC.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

4. John Ross is not good at football. I’m no longer pretending like there is potential there. I can’t really remember watching a more unnatural receiver from memory. He’s constantly either fighting the football, oblivious to the throw, or makes a mental error leading to a lost down. Every ball his way seems to fall incomplete. Unless Burrow/Dalton hits him in the chest, chances are it’s a lost cause. I get he’s our only speed receiver and provides at least the theoretical threat of going deep, but there’s no way he’s the third best receiving option on the team. Higgins looked to have overtaken him in the 2nd half last night. I look forward to watching him develop because he looked much better. 

He needs a change of scenery.  He's going to stick around in the NFL for a while bc of his speed, but i think if i were Zach, he'd be inactive next week and Tate would be up.  For the reasons you listed above, and also because this team has taken almost no deep shots anyway the first two weeks bc they can't get them off.  

Maybe as well activate Tate and throw some jump balls/back shoulders his way on the perimeter.

Bengals problems are top down. I won't even pick on Mike Brown here but Duke Tobin hasn't done a good job lately. If Bobby Hart has to start at RT because we don't have anyone better, that's on him. Giving Hart an extension was idiocy. Missing on 2 OTs in 2015 draft plus Billy Price has crippled the team. I won't even mention passing on Mahomes and Watson to take John Ross. Hell if we'd just picked Marshon Lattimore, we'd be better off. We don't need all our first round picks to be stars but we should be getting above average NFL players in the first round if the talent evaluators are at least average. 

Then there is Taylor. He hasn't shown any ability to outcoach his opponents. Both the offense and defense were pretty predictable last night. Ignoring obvious weaknesses won't make them go away. Taylor is responsible for Turner and Anarumo having jobs and being in a position to generally suck and get outcoached.

Bengals were thoroughly dominated at the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. Bill Callahan got winning performances from guys like Chris Hubbard, whom the Browns have been trying to replace. If only Callahan worked for us...

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I said it during the game, that if Dalton was the QB that this is a 14+ point loss...

• Like 1

Apparently Auden Tate isn’t happy with being a healthy scratch last night. His agent as expressed his displeasure with the team. Honestly though, Tate showed well last year and fits Burrow perfectly. There were a number of incomplete back shoulder throws thrown last night that Tate has routinely hauled in.

Sit Ross. Start Tate. Especially in the redzone (where we continue to struggle under ZT).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Apparently Auden Tate isn’t happy with being a healthy scratch last night. His agent as expressed his displeasure with the team. Honestly though, Tate showed well last year and fits Burrow perfectly. There were a number of incomplete back shoulder throws thrown last night that Tate has routinely hauled in.

Sit Ross. Start Tate. Especially in the redzone (where we continue to struggle under ZT).

Yep the answer is right in front of them. You have all these huge redzone targets and don’t use them 

42 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Amen.  Ross is doing nothing for them out there.  Tate needs to be on the field.

Love Joe, but the Bengals can’t allow plays like these to be a constant thing:

Even this one could have been ugly.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Love Joe, but the Bengals can’t allow plays like these to be a constant thing:

Even this one could have been ugly.

We know. We know

• Like 1