What movie are you watching?

Forge

I'm gonna watch Rampage, Skyscraper and Geostorm.  All three movies are movies I've wanted to watch, but was unwilling to pay money for since they're sure to be mindless crap that is also entertaining.  Got HBO Now to watch GoT, and all three are one there. 

I'm watching a movie called Captivity on HBO Go. First thought just a few minutes in: "what am I watching?" This movie is f'ing disgusting, and that's putting it lightly. I don't mind a little hardened violence here and there,  but this movie is gross just for the sake of it. I'm surprised HBO even wanted this on their streaming service TBH. It's too bad because Elisha Cuthbert should be able to make anything watchable by herself, yet I already feel like shutting this ish off. I know the Saw movies are disgustingly violent and gory (at least 3-onwards fit the mold), but at least it has a point to it with Jigsaw's whole appreciation of life angle. This just aims to be vomit-inducing just for the sake of being vomit-inducing.

Seriously, I may need a puke bucket after this. 

Oh, and apparently, there's an Unrated Version of this available. Oh God, I don't even want to THINK about how much worse it could be, I'm watching the standard version.

I just watched the new Zac Efron Ted Bundy movie on Netflix, it's a very mixed bag. Pacing-wise, it keeps your attention throughout and Zac Efron did a great job, but story-wise, it's a mess. It portrays him as falsely-accused all the way until the end. Hell, I didn't even know it was a Ted Bundy movie until they mentioned his name. Even the title kinda sounds like something you'd see from a Craig Moss movie, it's literally titled Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. Yes, we know he was all of these things, but no need to stretch the title.

2 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Even the title kinda sounds like something you'd see from a Craig Moss movie, it's literally titled Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. Yes, we know he was all of these things, but no need to stretch the title.

The title is the direct quote from the judge who sentenced him to death I believe. If you've ever had an interest in Ted Bundy you likely have heard or read that line somewhere. 

Upgrade (2018)

Decent sci-fi themed action film. Short, fast paced & highly rewatchable. Predicted the ending within the first ten minutes, so it's safe to say Upgrade is not exactly thought provoking. It's simply a fun action film in sci-fi dressing. (PS ~ The Nanobot attack delivered via sneeze had potential, but ended up looking ridiculous. I wish they had come up with something cleaner)  

A Raisin in the Sun (1961)

Outstanding. Human drama at its finest. Terrific cast & top-shelf performances all-round. The film is crammed with countless themes & conflicts that threaten to tear a poor multi-generational family apart. Nearly all of the drama takes place in the setting of a tiny cramped apartment. It never ceases to amaze me how films from that era do so much with so little.  

The Sea Wolf (1941)

Great film. Well acted in the old theatrical style - with Edward G. Robinson's portrayal of Wolf Larsen stealing the show. I'm definitely adding Larsen to my all-time favourite movie villains list.   

41 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

A Raisin in the Sun (1961)

Outstanding. Human drama at its finest. Terrific cast & top-shelf performances all-round. The film is crammed with countless themes & conflicts that threaten to tear a poor multi-generational family apart. Nearly all of the drama takes place in the setting of a tiny cramped apartment. It never ceases to amaze me how films from that era do so much with so little.  

Back in those days the lack of CGI and other FX forced writers and directors to actually do their jobs.

• Like 1

Saw Detective Pikachu last night. It was alright. It was a fun movie let down by a subpar screenplay. The plot was all over the place and the dialogue was weak. Pokemon fans will definitely enjoy it though and Ryan Reynolds was funny as usual.

Still going through crap movies on HBO Now just to get my money's worth out of that.  I have not gotten my money's worth yet, and I feel like HBO Now owes me money.

Skyscraper proves Dwayne Johnson does not hold a candle to the action stars he's supposed to be emulating.  That movie was what would happen if a 13-year-old who was allowed to watch a TV edit of Die Hard was asked to write a movie script. 

The First Purge was the worst major release movie I have seen in at least 4 years. 

On 5/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, Scalamania said:

The title is the direct quote from the judge who sentenced him to death I believe. If you've ever had an interest in Ted Bundy you likely have heard or read that line somewhere. 

Also the movie was based on the book written by his former lover. Which is why it comes off as him not being this serial killer because that's how she saw him.

Saw Tolkien last night. It was pretty good despite the fact that it did meet the expectations I had going into the theater. The trailers made it seem like it focused a bit more on his time during the war and would include more of those fantastical elements. Instead it was mostly focused on his childhood and time in college. Nicholas Hoult was really good in the main role. Not the most remarkable biopic but it's a pretty solid movie nonetheless.

Watched Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. It was okay and I thought Zac Efron was great as Bundy but why was this even made? The story/timeline wouldn't have made any sense had I not watched the Bundy tapes and why watch actors portraying these people when you can just watch/listen to the real thing with The Bundy Tapes.