What movie are you watching?

Forge

Gary Oldman kinda ripped into fans who didn't like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  He said it's not a movie for this generation.  You can't watch it with your phone out, you can't talk, you just have to really dive in and give it your full attention. 

As the biggest Gary Oldman fan possibly ever, I can safely say he's full of it.  I didn't touch my phone once and I was bored and confused throughout that entire movie.  Gary was amazing in it (as he is in every movie he actually tries), but the movie was boring as **** and not very easy to follow, either. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Gary Oldman kinda ripped into fans who didn't like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  He said it's not a movie for this generation.  You can't watch it with your phone out, you can't talk, you just have to really dive in and give it your full attention. 

As the biggest Gary Oldman fan possibly ever, I can safely say he's full of it.  I didn't touch my phone once and I was bored and confused throughout that entire movie.  Gary was amazing in it (as he is in every movie he actually tries), but the movie was boring as **** and not very easy to follow, either. 

Yea, if the movie is boring enough that you're urged to pull your phone out while watching, that is a problem with the movie.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:56 AM, Malfatron said:

come in cold. dont read outposts post

i watched it. the last 1/3 was pretty sensational like 10/10 type ****. honestly was a little slow from like  ~ minute 5 to minute 70 imo (slow like all these other westerns that got really good reviews), but the last third really made it a movie i won't ever forget. might be one of my favorite ~40 minute stretches to close the movie that i've seen this year tho. 

@Outpost31 the part you're referring to was indeed more extreme than i was expecting after reading your "warning" lmao 

edit: but i do get that that pacing was necessary to make the ending really hit like that 

Edited by FinneasGage

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, Outpost31 said:

Liked it the first time I watched it on a loud plane with crappy headphones.

Loved it the second time when I had access to subtitles. 

Near perfect cloak and dagger bread crumb spy thriller. Your opinion is doo-doo.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 2

Just now, animaltested said:

Liked it the first time I watched it on a loud plane with crappy headphones.

Loved it the second time when I had access to subtitles. 

Near perfect cloak and dagger bread crumb spy thriller. Your opinion is doo-doo.

I'm sure you're right.  It really is a movie that deserves a second viewing at least, if only for Gary's performance.  I'll get around to it eventually, but the first time I was like...

I watched Bone Tomahawk two nights ago.

Loved it.

The last 30 or so minutes of that movie with stick with ya for a while.

I don't even think its the scene that everyone talks about that stuck with me the most..it was something after that. 

Richard Jenkins (Chicory) was so great, kinda stole the movie for me.

Kurt Russell needs to only do western type movies for now on. He fits that so well.

The whole cast was really good.

Great movie!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I watched Bone Tomahawk two nights ago.

Loved it.

The last 30 or so minutes of that movie with stick with ya for a while.

I don't even think its the scene that everyone talks about that stuck with me the most..it was something after that. 

Richard Jenkins (Chicory) was so great, kinda stole the movie for me.

Kurt Russell needs to only do western type movies for now on. He fits that so well.

The whole cast was really good.

Great movie!! 

totally agree.

i also found Matthew Fox stellar. Much better than his Lost role.

Lili Simmons was topnotch too.

but yeah, Richard Jenkins is a master.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

totally agree.

i also found Matthew Fox stellar. Much better than his Lost role.

Lili Simmons was topnotch too.

but yeah, Richard Jenkins is a master.

Agreed.. I think Fox was also outstanding (didn't see lost).. I loved how he let everyone know how smart he was and chit..just great

I seriously have nothing bad to say about this movie.. everyone was great

Jenkins was great throughout the movie.. but the scene talking about the flea circus was awesome.

When Mrs. O'Dwyer says that circus uses real fleas and he says thanks for confirming that...just freaking great

Watched a few movies this week.  Was also occupied while watching so I went with some favorites.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - This just might be the perfect movie.  It's right up there with Gladiator as competing to be my all time favorite.  The action, humor, suspense, and story all intertwining with John William's legendary score and some of Spielberg's best direction.  Harrison Ford and Sean Connery just work magnificently playing against each other and the supporting cast is just superb.

Pulp Fiction - I watched Inglourious Basterds last week and it's a fairly stark contrast to how much more reserved/focused QT's directorial style was back when he was just getting going.  Both ways have their merits, but I prefer the earlier QT style of his first couple movies.  Everything Kill Bill and after has been much more stylized, which i'm sure is preferable to some, but I prefer the younger QT.  I think this remains my favorite of his.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - While it definitely gets points for being the original, after watching the two in close proximity, Last Crusade is definitely my favorite Indiana Jones movie.  Leans a bit heavy on the homages to the old action serials in this one whereas Last Crusade is happy to be it's own beast.  Still in my top 10-15 all time favorite movies though.

Gangs of New York - I kind of forgot about how much I think this movie really falls off in the third act.  Up through the point where Amsterdam is betrayed it's well on it's way to being a masterpiece.  The third act almost feels like they were going to go 1 of 2 different directions and ended up putting in what Scorcese liked from both options and the narrative just doesn't fit.  DDL is incredible in the movie though, despite the logical flaws in the 3rd act.

Avengers: Endgame - This was only my second full viewing and it held up just as good if not better as a movie on the second viewing.  Was interesting seeing it just as a movie this time and not as the event the opening weekend was, but the Russo's really did nail this.  A few logical fallacies, even within the suspension of disbelief, but all in all not much more you can ask from a culmination of movies like the MCU gave us.

Edited by THE DUKE

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Pulp Fiction - I watched Inglourious Basterds last week and it's a fairly stark contrast to how much more reserved/focused QT's directorial style was back when he was just getting going.  Both ways have their merits, but I prefer the earlier QT style of his first couple movies.  Everything Kill Bill and after has been much more stylized, which i'm sure is preferable to some, but I prefer the younger QT.  I think this remains my favorite of his.

I watched this for the first time yesterday.  So basically it's Seinfeld meets The Departed?

I liked it, I just didn't understand the point.