What movie are you watching?

Forge

Death Note

Ive never watched the series, so I had no expectations. It was descent enough with a interesting concept, but there was just so much that they assumed the watcher knew, and didnt do a good job expounding on anything. It needed to be more than a hour and a half. I would watch a sequel.

14 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Death Note

Ive never watched the series, so I had no expectations. It was descent enough with a interesting concept, but there was just so much that they assumed the watcher knew, and didnt do a good job expounding on anything. It needed to be more than a hour and a half. I would watch a sequel.

I agree with this assessment entirely.  I feel like the movie went WAY too quickly over the beginning and middle of the Kira thing.  I have to imagine that was a major part of the anime, and I think this movie certainly should have been at least 2 hours.  It clocked in at an hour and 40 minutes I think.  If you're going to montage such an important part, at least make the montage longer.  Cops trying to find a possible way it happened, the hype and attention growing...

The one problem I had with the movie they really had to do anyway, especially in a movie under 2 hours.  This is the type of TV show I would absolutely love to watch if there were more intelligent characters like L and less stupid characters like Light and his girlfriend.  If HBO had taken up the rights to this and turned it into a series and had the first person with the book not be a stupid teen in high school with a crush on a Kristen Stewart type, I would probably lose my S about it the same way I did for the first 4 seasons of GoT, for Preacher and for Stranger Things.

The concept is just such a great concept with such a great protagonist.  I can't say I liked the design of Ryuk, but I understand they had to make it like the anime somehow.  I loved Willem Dafoe, and I loved the concept of the protagonist.  A sort of conniving, mischievous, untrustworthy trickster type secretly plotting, close but shaky relationship with the protagonist...

Yep, I absolutely loved the concept and antagonist of Death Note, but the movie was only worth a watch. 

38 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I agree with this assessment entirely.  I feel like the movie went WAY too quickly over the beginning and middle of the Kira thing.  I have to imagine that was a major part of the anime, and I think this movie certainly should have been at least 2 hours.  It clocked in at an hour and 40 minutes I think.  If you're going to montage such an important part, at least make the montage longer.  Cops trying to find a possible way it happened, the hype and attention growing...

The one problem I had with the movie they really had to do anyway, especially in a movie under 2 hours.  This is the type of TV show I would absolutely love to watch if there were more intelligent characters like L and less stupid characters like Light and his girlfriend.  If HBO had taken up the rights to this and turned it into a series and had the first person with the book not be a stupid teen in high school with a crush on a Kristen Stewart type, I would probably lose my S about it the same way I did for the first 4 seasons of GoT, for Preacher and for Stranger Things.

The concept is just such a great concept with such a great protagonist.  I can't say I liked the design of Ryuk, but I understand they had to make it like the anime somehow.  I loved Willem Dafoe, and I loved the concept of the protagonist.  A sort of conniving, mischievous, untrustworthy trickster type secretly plotting, close but shaky relationship with the protagonist...

Yep, I absolutely loved the concept and antagonist of Death Note, but the movie was only worth a watch. 

I wanted more Ryuk as well. I want more of his relationship with the book and with Light. He was basically an afterthought in the movie. 

Yeah, the movie was 1:40, but that was including credits. I think it ended right around 1:30. 

Edited by devils1854

Watched a move called "About Alex". Basically it's an ode to the Big Chill, but not nearly as effective. The cast is pretty solid, and I was into it for a while, but about 70% of the way into it, they lost me. I felt that they missed out on a large chance to broach some topics and conversations that the Big Chill couldn't because in this version the suicide attempt fails. But they never really crossed that bridge, and with what they did talk about, the reasoning and everything was wholly unsatisfying. The characters themselves aren't nearly as effective because they aren't as old and jaded and regretful as the original cast. It lacks that power behind the characters at this point in their lives. 

Currently watching I Am Sam. Such a sad movie in every facet, but it makes it that much more powerful and endearing. It sounds like the ideal film for me because I'm a real sucker for emotional films and I know of very few that take on subject matter as sensitive as this. I'm already "deeply invested" if you know what I mean and I haven't even gotten to the "good" part yet.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think everybody remembers their first time crying their eyes out watching that movie. 

I didn't. I remember watching Schindler's List earlier and I cried during that movie. But not Dead Poet's Society.

Also, just watched Kingsman. This was the first time in a very long time that I was utterly shocked by a movie. I knew nothing about it. Never wanted to watch it because I figured it was just another Hunger Games, Divergent, etc and so forth. But OMG how wrong I was. I liked the movie, it was unique, good actors, good chemistry, story was more original then I expected for a spy flick. But the cursing, gore, etc I was not expecting. Im actually looking foward to the 2nd one.

• Like 1

Watched the Hitman's bodyguard...I enjoyed it. Samuel L Jackson and Ryan Reynolds are very entertaining, if not always laugh out loud funny. The movie can be completely over the top, but if actually kept the mindless action sequences somewhat amusing. 

Rough Night. This was just a bad movie. No getting around that.