What movie are you watching?

Forge

I finally watched Glass.  Wow, it's been a while since a movie made me feel like that after watching it.  There have probably been less than 5 movies in my life where I was so effected that I sat and watched all the credits purely for a chance to digest what I had just seen, and that was one of them. 

One of the most bittersweet movies I can ever recall watching.  When considering sequels to movies that went over a decade between the original and its sequel, I think this movie is the first ever that was satisfying and on par with the original.  Unbreakable had always been a top 10 favorite movie of mine.  I still consider it to be the best superhero movie I have ever seen.  I felt like Split was entirely meh, but necessary for a true sequel to Unbreakable to take place.  The Horde was a villain that needed his own movie in order to be an adversary for David Dunn, so I forgave a lot about that movie, and I'm glad I did because it blended so perfectly with Unbreakable in Glass. 

I woke up still feeling a very strange feeling over Glass.  It is a good feeling, and it effectively makes the Unbreakable trilogy my favorite superhero trilogy ever.  I have one single complaint about the movie, but it's something that is negligible and fitting the grounded, reality-based superhero movie. 

M. Night Shyamalan still has loads of talent when he gets out of his own way and makes these deeply personal character-driven movies.  When he loves the characters and when he puts time into his characters, his movies are among the very best.  When his idea overshadows his characters, that's when he stumbles. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 12:47 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

I feel like you could pretty much make your decision on Rocketman based on whether you liked Bohemian Rhapsody.

From everything I've heard, I very much disagree. Bohemian Rhapsody was a by the numbers biopic and it was boring. By all accounts Rocketman is at least trying something a little more imaginative. It might still be just as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody but it's definitely a very different movie. I'm seeing it on Saturday so I guess time will tell.

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The two most recent ones.

And the first two that ever were released.

Don’t forget the animated movie with Chris Evans as Casey Jones and Patrick Stewart as Winters.  It’s the best of the bunch.  

43 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Don’t forget the animated movie with Chris Evans as Casey Jones and Patrick Stewart as Winters.  It’s the best of the bunch.  

Chris Evans and SMG as Casey Jones and April O'Neill.

I need to go cancel some plans this weekend.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:30 PM, rackcs said:

From everything I've heard, I very much disagree. Bohemian Rhapsody was a by the numbers biopic and it was boring. By all accounts Rocketman is at least trying something a little more imaginative. It might still be just as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody but it's definitely a very different movie. I'm seeing it on Saturday so I guess time will tell.

I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was very overrated. Rocketman, IMO, is much better. Taron Egerton does an impressive comparable job playing Elton John as Rami did Freddie. This is also a very different style of movie than Bohemian Rhapsody. This is an actual musical, but it is not for the kids. You expect some gay stuff, but Rocketman leaves a lot less to the imagination (unfortunately). I just realized this is one of the only recent biopics about a musician where the subject is still alive.

B+

Saw Godzilla and Rocketman. Obviously there are spoilers ahead.

Godzilla: This movie definitely had some pretty cool action scenes but the plot was just so bland and uninteresting. I know many people say they don't care if the movie has a good plot as long as the monster fighting is good but I feel differently. Especially because I felt like we saw too much of the monster fighting as background to the human plot. It ultimately just felt pretty forgettable to me despite some cool monster designs and fights. That all being said, I'll still be watching Godzilla vs Kong week 1. Side note: Why did they even bother hiring Sally Hawkins for this movie? What a waste, just like Bryan Cranston in the first one. If you're going to hire a good actor for a movie, why would you give them nothing significant to do and then kill them early?

Rocketman: Just a really enjoyable film. Taron Egerton killed it as Elton John and I really liked Jamie Bell in this too. I felt like it fell into a few musical artist biopic cliches but it had enough originality to be a bit more memorable than some movies. I felt that the way they used the songs for the most part was inventive and I liked the musical numbers and dream sequences and such. Ultimately I think this movie handled the troubled aspects of its subject's life much better than Bohemian Rhapsody did. I can't help but compare the two movies in my mind and it's clear that Rocketman is the better of the two. I'm also probably going to be mad when this movie inevitably wins no awards while Bohemian Rhapsody did as well as it did.

I wasn't a huge fan of Super Troopers the way a lot of people are.  Thought it was kinda funny. 

I don't know how well the second Super Troopers was received, but I thought it was terrible.  It was unwatchable.  Really, really, really bad.  How do people think that stuff is funny?