What movie are you watching?

Forge

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:48 AM, Outpost31 said:

I also watched Blockers based on somebody here saying it was the funniest comedy they've seen in years.  It's further proof that comedy is dead in Hollywood.  I don't think there has ever been a decade with worse comedies throughout film history. 

Comedies literally rely on absurd vulgarities and showing butts and penises and putting things into butts and jokes about homophobia. 

I think the last legitimately funny comedy was The Hangover, and that was ruined by three repetitive sequels and it doesn't hold up nearly as well on second or third viewings.  The last comedy classic I think (and I hope I'm wrong) has been Hot Fuzz. 

What We Do in the Shadows was hilarious, but I've only seen it once.  Hopefully that holds up.  It also wasn't a major release. 
This Is The End was pretty damn funny, but it completely falls apart in the final act and it's not as funny on second view. 
Tucker and Dale vs Evil probably shouldn't count since it wasn't a major release. 

Compare that to comedies of the 90's.

Dumb and Dumber, The Big Lebowski, There's Something About Mary, Office Space, Ace Ventura, Tommy Boy, Happy Gilmore, Kingpin, The Full Monty, Galaxy Quest... Those are just the ones off the top of my head.  Go back to the 80's and the 70's and they're even more classic. 

Comedy is dead.  Blockers was a terrible movie not even worth watching for free. 

I love Walk Hard. That was the last good comedy I saw.

Anybody who says Tombstone isn't the best Western ever is wrong. 

There has never been a more quotable Western than Tombstone, and there are few movies of any genre with better dialogue. 

"Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I turn your head into a canoe.  You understand me?"

(Probably seeing double line) "Well I've got two guns, one for each of you."

"I'm your huckleberry."

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?"

Wyatt Earp: All right, Clanton... you called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that?

[pulls open his coat, revealing a badge]

Wyatt Earp: It says United States Marshal!

Ike Clanton: [terrified, pleading] Wyatt, please, I...

Wyatt Earp: [referring to Stilwell, laying dead] Take a good look at him, Ike... 'cause that's how you're gonna end up!

[shoves Ike down roughly with his boot]

Wyatt Earp: The Cowboys are finished, you understand? I see a red sash, I kill the man wearin' it!

[lets Ike up to run for his life]

Wyatt Earp: So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's comin'!

[shouts]

Wyatt Earp: You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?...

[louder]

Wyatt Earp: Hell's coming with me!

Ike Clanton: What is that now? Twelve hands in a row? Holliday, son of a *****, nobody's that lucky.

Doc Holliday: Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Doc Holliday: Oh. Johnny, I apologize; I forgot you were there. You may go now.

Doc Holliday: [taunting a card player who believes Holliday is cheating him] Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Wyatt Earp: How are you?

Doc Holliday: I'm dying, how are you?

• Like 2

Saw Rocketman - very good, would recommend. Tarot Egerton is an amazing singer and actor, there are several moments in which he absolutely captures the essence of Elton John while putting his own unique spin on the music that made it his...

...this all being said, I liked Rami Malek and Bohemian Rhapsody better. And it's not like I'm some huge Queen fan over Elton John, I'm kind of benign on both.

So I'm watching the Scream quadrilogy again, and just as before, I am amazed that there are people out there too stupid to realize these movies are satire and actually consider them to be horror/scary movies.  It really makes me angry.  What's even worse is that an entire movie franchise was spawned off the idea of spoofing a spoof. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So I'm watching the Scream quadrilogy again, and just as before, I am amazed that there are people out there too stupid to realize these movies are satire and actually consider them to be horror/scary movies.  It really makes me angry.  What's even worse is that an entire movie franchise was spawned off the idea of spoofing a spoof. 

It's a slasher series.  Not scary, but they aren't spoof movies like Scary Movie (if that's what you're referring to).

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

It's a slasher series.  Not scary, but they aren't spoof movies like Scary Movie (if that's what you're referring to).

Lol, OMG, yes they are.  They are literally satires.  They're not as blatant about it as Scary Movie, but they are literally satires, so that depends on your definition of spoof.  If you only consider spoofs to be of the slapstick variety, then no, it's not a spoof, but if you call a spoof a type of satire, then yes, Scream is a dark spoof.  They are literally dark satires.  It is NOT a slasher series, it is literally a satire of slasher movies.  Did you miss literally every single scene with Jamie Kennedy and every single scene where they literally turn meta satire and reference the fact that they are in a movie in every single one of the movies? 

"This is a movie..."
Every single Jamie Kennedy scene.
"What do you know about trilogies?" 

Did you miss the satire in every one of them where they literally say the killer always comes back for one more scare right before the killer literally comes back for one more comical scare? 

If you honestly think Scream is a slasher film and not a dark parody of slasher films, you need to maybe watch them again. 

If you think Scream is a slasher movie, you probably think Fargo is a true crime story and you probably think Last Action Hero is an action movie.  On the surface, Scream is a slasher movie, but it is equally a satire of what it is trying to be.  Just like Last Action Hero was an action movie calling attention to itself as an action movie and clearly calling attention to and having fun with in a fourth wall style, self-aware love letter/homage to all the tropes, cliches and expectations of the very genre it's associated with. 

Scream was never meant to be a scary movie for intelligent audiences.  Sure, it's probably scary for a teenage girl, but if you can seriously watch Scream and not see the blatant humor within, intentional humor targeted towards fans of the slasher genre, it might be your first scary movie. 

• Like 2

50/50

I didnt realize this was on Netflix. Its such a good movie. The way Jonathan Levine blends the humor with such a serious subject is just brilliant. Even Seth Rogan stays in his lane during it all. Definitely one of the best of the decade.

• Like 2