What movie are you watching?

Forge

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkO54xBDRJt9YYXgJslyV

Goblet of Fire really should have been two movies.  So so so much world building material that was left out, and even pertinent plot points.  The second half isn't too bad, but there is so much missing from the first half that pays off so well in the books and it makes the narrative of the movie a bit of a muddled mess.  They also made the twist so painfully obvious in the movie, so that when it comes, it is literally zero surprise.  Big step down in direction going from Cuaron to Newell, and big step down in score going from John Williams to Patrick Doyle (I actually like Doyle in general, but he misses the mark here).  All that said, it's still an enjoyable movie with a few stand out moments, but I can't help but think of the missed opportunities when I watch this.

Watched the first Scream again on the new Scream Collection Blu-Ray and I'm once again reminded of the genius behind Wes Craven's filmmaking. It has the perfect blend of campiness and good old fashioned slasher movie grit. I loved the humor and it avoiding the typical horror movie cliches and David Arquette's character and Gale Weathers steal the show. Wes Craven (God rest his soul) once again made his mark in the horror genre with this movie and franchise, making the quintessential campy slasher that others like I Know What You Did Last Summer would try and fail to replicate in the 90's after making the quintessential dark/horror slasher with Nightmare on Elm Street. Even the sequels are guilty pleasures.

Edited by KManX89

8 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Just watched Horns. It was close, but in the end just didn't work for us. Needed more humor, and less darkness at the end for sure. Didn't need a happy ending, just not some of what happened

I read another book by the same author of Horns - Heart Shaped Box. I wish they would adapt that. 

Harrypotter5-roomofrequirement.jpg

Order of the Phoenix is probably my second favorite movie of the entire series.  It has just as much if not more left out of it than Goblet of Fire, yet the narrative feels so much more complete in how it was told.  Yates does a very nice job directing, although he is no Cuaron.  I wish this one would have got a full John Williams score, but he was out after Prisoner of Azkaban.  My favorite bits are all centered around Dumbledore's army, although I do wish they would have expanded the scene where Hermione and Ron convince Harry to do it.  I think it would have made a great scene and they could have easily afforded another 2 minutes.  I think this the second shortest of the Potter movies right behind Azkaban.  This one had another serious step up in the kids acting, and might be the best of the series in that department, but I still have the last 3 movies to go, so we'll see.  Gary Oldman, Michael Gambon, and Ralph Fiennes are all great in this one as well, and Imelda Stauton did a terrific job making you hate her.

Edited by THE DUKE

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Harrypotter5-roomofrequirement.jpg

Order of the Phoenix is probably my second favorite movie of the entire series.  It has just as much if not more left out of it than Goblet of Fire, yet the narrative feels so much more complete in how it was told.  Yates does a very nice job directing, although he is no Cuaron.  I wish this one would have got a full John Williams score, but he was out after Prisoner of Azkaban.  My favorite bits are all centered around Dumbledore's army, although I do wish they would have expanded the scene where Hermione and Ron convince Harry to do it.  I think it would have made a great scene and they could have easily afforded another 2 minutes.  I think this the second shortest of the Potter movies right behind Azkaban.  This one had another serious step up in the kids acting, and might be the best of the series in that department, but I still have the last 3 movies to go, so we'll see.  Gary Oldman, Michael Gambon, and Ralph Fiennes are all great in this one as well, and Imelda Stauton did a terrific job making you hate her.

OFTP and HBP are my least favorite movies next  to DH1. Don’t enjoy those movies at all 

8 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

OFTP and HBP are my least favorite movies next  to DH1. Don’t enjoy those movies at all 

I recall not digging the last 3 as much, but it's a while since I've seen them.  I've always been high on OotP though.  5/8 of my way through the rewatch so far and I think i'd rank them:

Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Sorcerers Stone
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I recall not digging the last 3 as much, but it's a while since I've seen them.  I've always been high on OotP though.  5/8 of my way through the rewatch so far and I think i'd rank them:

Prisoner of Azkaban
Order of the Phoenix
Sorcerers Stone
Goblet of Fire
Chamber of Secrets

PoA and CoS are the top two movies. and SS is clearly the #3. Those movies are just so much better narratively than the later movies. 

Chamber of Secrets is just awesome. Ron Weasley in CoS is the sort of Ride Or Die friend that we should all aspire to be. 

On 10/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, MikeT14 said:

I read another book by the same author of Horns - Heart Shaped Box. I wish they would adapt that. 

Ooh, Heart Shaped Box was the first novel I ever bought for myself. Still love it. 

I just watched Horns on Netflix. Every time I see it, I dislike it less. This time I borderline liked it but the end is a mess, which is par for the course for Stephen king and fam 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I am watching Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

I have never seen it before.  

I kinda liked it.

however, Its definitely got that "trying to be funny" vibe to it, instead of trying to play it straight like Troll 2 (sans popcorn scene).

But...its worth watching imo.

when i was a kid, this movie really freaked me out though

half-blood-4.jpg

Half Blood Prince is better than I remembered, but still up and down.  I think it's moreso following Rowling's narrative here and some inconsistencies it has that hurt it more than anything, but the third act is a bit lacking.  It did some things very well though.  Easily Felton's best performance as Draco Malfoy, and Alan Rickman adds lots of nuance to a tricky character that really pays off in the last two films.  The Felix Felicis scene was almost pitch perfect, although I wish they would have pushed Harry's confidence during this moreso than him being awkward for a cheap joke.  Especially when the humor early on in this might be some of the best in the series.  Several call backs to previous films gags, my favorite of which being Ron pointing out Hermione has something on her face.  Yates does a passable job making the teenage love drama stuff work, but it's still a weak point.  I wish this Quidditch match would have been a little longer as it finally resembles an actual sport the best of all the series scenes.  It's straight up cartoony in 1, 3 does a good job but takes away too much speed, we don't really see anything in 4 of the World Cup.  All in all I think it's a middle of the pack Potter film, but better than I remembered.  Two more to go.