What movie are you watching?

Forge

Decided to give Creed II a go today, and all in all I would say........it was ok.  The second half seemed a lot better paced than the first half, after the first half was a slog.  This one borrowed liberally from the Rocky movies, and I thought MBJ's performance was a lot better in the first one.  It at least had a good conclusion, although I wish they would have done a little more interaction between Drago and his son and then paid it off at the end a little more as well.

I almost fell asleep in this movie. Its about as predictable as a film could be. 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

warrior-span-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75

Now Warrior, that is a ******* fight movie.  Great story and direction from Gavin O'Connor, great acting from the leads Edgerton and Hardy, great supporting roles from Nick Nolte and Frank Grillo, love the score and hype it builds for it's biggest moments, and everything just comes together so well to suck you into the movie completely.  I haven't seen this in years, so it was great to come back to it and love it just as much if not more than I did before.

Would've liked it more if the fight scenes were depicted accurately. There's NO way a licensed ref would've let Brendan take the beatings he did. Took a lot of the story away for me.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Would've liked it more if the fight scenes were depicted accurately. There's NO way a licensed ref would've let Brendan take the beatings he did. Took a lot of the story away for me.

I'm pretty sure part of that was metaphorical as well.  Seems like a rather pedantic knit to pick.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm pretty sure part of that was metaphorical as well.  Seems like a rather pedantic knit to pick.

The movie was about mixed martial arts. If you want to tell a fantasy story, maybe stick to something more realistic? Not sure how critiquing the sport the story revolves around would lead to me being a pedant. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The movie was about mixed martial arts. If you want to tell a fantasy story, maybe stick to something more realistic? Not sure how critiquing the sport the story revolves around would lead to me being a pedant. 

The movie is about the brothers and how their life led them to that point.  MMA was merely the setting.

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Then pick a more realistic setting.

The setting is fine, it's not a documentary.  Going by realism of the fighting then every Rocky movie is utter garbage.  Especially Rocky's strategy in the first two movies of blocking all of Apollo's punches with his face.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

The setting is fine, it's not a documentary.  Going by realism of the fighting then every Rocky movie is utter garbage.  Especially Rocky's strategy in the first two movies of blocking all of Apollo's punches with his face.

And there's a reason why I think the Rocky movies suck lol. I think 95% of sports movies are terrible because they don't depict sports in a realistic setting. If you're going to use it, don't take extreme liberties. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

And there's a reason why I think the Rocky movies suck lol. I think 95% of sports movies are terrible because they don't depict sports in a realistic setting. If you're going to use it, don't take extreme liberties. 

Kinda like when Coach Boone calls for backside George reverse when they need 70 yards on the final play lol. Love remember the titans but that last play call was hilarious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Kinda like when Coach Boone calls for backside George reverse when they need 70 yards on the final play lol. Love remember the titans but that last play call was hilarious.

Or the hook and ladder to friggin Billy Bob in Varsity Blues where Tweeder just stands there forever wide open and Lance's play call for the damn thing was him literally signaling hook and ladder lol. Sports movies suck far more often than not. 

• Like 1

1917.jpg

1917 was pretty good all in all.  Visually stunning in it's cinematography, the score was tremendous, the acting was great, and it did a good job capturing the horrors on the Great War.  It's a simple story, but I still think it's a bit of a clunky tale and you have to suspend disbelief quite a bit as to how he survived, and it relies of getting the message to save Lt McGuffin, I mean Lt Blake and his comrades from walking into a trap.  While all of the short cameo performances are done very well (Firth, Strong, Cumberbatch, Madden) using that much star power was distracting more than anything.  If the viewer didn't know who they were, they would have thought each of them did a fine job (especially Madden), but it kind of took me out of things a bit.  My favorite part of the movie was when he wakes up at night and the combination of Deakins visuals along with Newman's score swelling higher and higher.  That and the end are both very memorable scenes from the movie.  In the end, it's a good movie, a deserving winner of all the awards it did win, but a little less than the sum of it's parts.

B+

• Like 2

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

1917.jpg

1917 was pretty good all in all.  Visually stunning in it's cinematography, the score was tremendous, the acting was great, and it did a good job capturing the horrors on the Great War.  It's a simple story, but I still think it's a bit of a clunky tale and you have to suspend disbelief quite a bit as to how he survived, and it relies of getting the message to save Lt McGuffin, I mean Lt Blake and his comrades from walking into a trap.  While all of the short cameo performances are done very well (Firth, Strong, Cumberbatch, Madden) using that much star power was distracting more than anything.  If the viewer didn't know who they were, they would have thought each of them did a fine job (especially Madden), but it kind of took me out of things a bit.  My favorite part of the movie was when he wakes up at night and the combination of Deakins visuals along with Newman's score swelling higher and higher.  That and the end are both very memorable scenes from the movie.  In the end, it's a good movie, a deserving winner of all the awards it did win, but a little less than the sum of it's parts.

B+

That movie was too loud for me. The "music" never stopped. 

Showing right now on TCM, Dr. Stangelove, on election day.  What a perfect movie for potentially a really ****ed up day.  

source.gif

Oh and two candidates who are both older right now than the past Presidents who served from 1993-2001 and 2001-2009.

• Like 2