What movie are you watching?

Forge

10 hours ago, TVScout said:

Never seen it so I can't recommend either way:

I bought it a long time ago because the thought of Harry Potter as a white supremacist is hysterical and probably a natural trajectory but still haven’t watched. Not terribly interested in these kinds of movies. Took me an absolute eternity to watch American history x 

I finally watched Captain Marvel.  It was indeed, a Marvel action movie.  Can confirm.  Had lots of action and fancy special effects and fight scenes and funny one liners and quips.  Plus a pretty fun soundtrack that dragged out some nostalgia.  It was, exactly as expected.

Like a Turducken of a movie.  A Sitcom stuffed within an Action Movie stuffed inside the shell of a SciFi/Fantasy film.  Which is fine.  Enjoyable enough.  Super formulaic way to to spend 120 minutes or whatever.

Really didn't get what all the criticism of the "feminist" element was about.  Seemed like it caught so much flak for either being "too obnoxiously feminist" or "not feminist enough, or not feminist in the right way".  That was all i remember hearing about when it first came out.  But it just kinda felt like an extremely normal movie to me.  So that was weird.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I finally watched Captain Marvel.  It was indeed, a Marvel action movie.  Can confirm.  Had lots of action and fancy special effects and fight scenes and funny one liners and quips.  Plus a pretty fun soundtrack that dragged out some nostalgia.  It was, exactly as expected.

Like a Turducken of a movie.  A Sitcom stuffed within an Action Movie stuffed inside the shell of a SciFi/Fantasy film.  Which is fine.  Enjoyable enough.  Super formulaic way to to spend 120 minutes or whatever.

Really didn't get what all the criticism of the "feminist" element was about.  Seemed like it caught so much flak for either being "too obnoxiously feminist" or "not feminist enough, or not feminist in the right way".  That was all i remember hearing about when it first came out.  But it just kinda felt like an extremely normal movie to me.  So that was weird.

My biggest complaint is that there is no real character development. It's about a badass who forgot the previous version of badass she was before remembering she's an even bigger badass than she thought. There's no real growth or development, just "oh yeah, I can wreck all these fools......the end".

14 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

My biggest complaint is that there is no real character development. It's about a badass who forgot the previous version of badass she was before remembering she's an even bigger badass than she thought. There's no real growth or development, just "oh yeah, I can wreck all these fools......the end".

Isn't that like...most Marvel movies though?  Story arc takes a backseat to...omg look a them special effects and the focal character is is hot.

Character growth an development is not a thing that seems to happen in the Marvel Movie Universe.  If it happens, it takes less that 2 minutes of screen time and everyone just understands they are what they are.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Isn't that like...most Marvel movies though?  Story arc takes a backseat to...omg look a them special effects and the focal character is is hot.

Character growth an development is not a thing that seems to happen in the Marvel Movie Universe.  If it happens, it takes less that 2 minutes of screen time and everyone just understands they are what they are.

I'd say absolutely not. Most of the marvel movies involve significant character development.  I'd concede that development is a bit formulaic at times, but it's usually there.  When it is there significantly, it's usually Marvel's best movies outside of the Avengers movies which are usually more about culmination moreso than development. 

mank_firstlook_01.jpg

You do not want to try watching Mank without paying full attention.  I admire the story that Fincher crafted around this and it took me a good 45 minutes into the movie before I was really drawn in, but in the end it's a damn good narrative with exceptional acting and set design.  Not really a movie to love though, and with as technically sound as this movie was, I don't really feel any higher praise than, "pretty good".

B

On 12/7/2020 at 2:10 AM, Tugboat said:

On 12/7/2020 at 7:02 AM, THE DUKE said:

I'd say absolutely not. Most of the marvel movies involve significant character development.  I'd concede that development is a bit formulaic at times, but it's usually there.  When it is there significantly, it's usually Marvel's best movies outside of the Avengers movies which are usually more about culmination moreso than development. 

Yeah, same.  Marvel movies aren't Citizen Kane or anything, but almost all of them are extremely tight and well done as far as story structure and arcs are concerned.

Thor: Ragnarok spends like 50% of the screen time on character development with Thor.

201027-one-time-use-v-for-vendetta-ew-65

It's been quite a while since I've watch V for Vendetta, and honestly, it was a lot better than I remembered at the time.  Perhaps the knock you over the head messaging resonates a little better with me now that i'm a little older (probably been over a decade since I've seen it), but all in all it's a pretty damn good movie.  Great use of music, Hugo Weaving's voice work is just top notch, good direction and action.

A-

• Like 3

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

201027-one-time-use-v-for-vendetta-ew-65

It's been quite a while since I've watch V for Vendetta, and honestly, it was a lot better than I remembered at the time.  Perhaps the knock you over the head messaging resonates a little better with me now that i'm a little older (probably been over a decade since I've seen it), but all in all it's a pretty damn good movie.  Great use of music, Hugo Weaving's voice work is just top notch, good direction and action.

A-

Love this movie.