What movie are you watching?

Forge

maxresdefault.jpg

Finally got around to watching Joker.  Joaquin Phoenix earned every bit of that oscar, he had a brilliant performance.  Kudo's to Todd Phillips too for making the story work and keeping the viewer off balance throughout.  I had my doubts, but that really was a great movie. I hope they let it go though and don't try to capitalize on it.  Anything that follows this will cheapen the whole, this movie was made to stand alone.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

It’s getting a lot of hate and I don’t get why. It’s like people can’t enjoy a mindless action movie anymore. 

I had higher hopes for it but still found it entertaining enough. I wouldn't have been happy to have spent money at the theaters for it though.

I'd give it a 6/10. Decent enough to watch once but I doubt I ever take the time to re-watch it.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I had higher hopes for it but still found it entertaining enough. I wouldn't have been happy to have spent money at the theaters for it though.

I'd give it a 6/10. Decent enough to watch once but I doubt I ever take the time to re-watch it.

I thought it was solid. Cool concept. I don’t really get the hate for it. 

On 7/2/2021 at 7:02 PM, beekay414 said:

The Tomorrow War was pretty cookie cutter but entertaining enough.

4 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

It’s getting a lot of hate and I don’t get why. It’s like people can’t enjoy a mindless action movie anymore. 

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just finished it myself. It was okay. 5 or 6 is about right. I will say, it's way too fat. 130+ minutes or whatever, that movie needed to be about 105. I think you can probably throw out the entire final act for sure. 

It was pretty predictable, and some of the scenes were just dumb as hell (the final scenes in the future seriously just had me loling), but there were some solid moments (the initial mission I enjoyed)  and it got me to chuckle a few times in there. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Just finished it myself. It was okay. 5 or 6 is about right. I will say, it's way too fat. 130+ minutes or whatever, that movie needed to be about 105. I think you can probably throw out the entire final act for sure. 

It was pretty predictable, and some of the scenes were just dumb as hell (the final scenes in the future seriously just had me loling), but there were some solid moments (the initial mission I enjoyed)  and it got me to chuckle a few times in there. 

Thinking back on it, I think it could have been better as a 6-10 episode mini-series.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:27 AM, thrILL! said:

the-tomorrow-war-2.jpg

“We have traveled from 30 years into the future to warn you that The Tomorrow War desperately needs multiple rewrites!”

Watching it now, I had a hearty laugh when it became evident it's a movie about global warming 🤣

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, MookieMonstah said:

I think because it tries to be a big-budget film while pretending to have a small-budget cast. Or, actually, this is the Fast and Furious symptom. People who are trying to do things that are out of their elements, comes off as corny.

What I mean is that, something like World War Z, for all it's faults, had primarily Brad Pitt as the protagonist, and the people surrounding him are who they are at their respective field, be it science or military. Here, we have a collection of Charlie and a couple of other nerds, who, upon returning from the last tour before contact is lost, somehow decide to step up when the US government (who cares about the rest of the world at the moment, let's focus a bit) apparently doesn't feel it's important enough to follow up on a toxin that one of the soldiers brings back.

And then that cowboy brings in his rag-tag group of deep-sea miners college professors and tour survivors to somehow fly across international airspace, land in russia, travel to the arctic, roll around until they stumbled upon aliens?

And, granted, I've got about 20 minutes to go, but I love the fact that none of them considered the possibility of them GOING IN being the 'trigger' point to launch that invasion a couple of decades in the future.

Just... a lot of poor plotholes and recycling cast members to give it a cheezy vibe. But, hey, at least a couple of the CGI shots were set up and filmed amazingly, like the Constantine-like dive.

13 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I think because it tries to be a big-budget film while pretending to have a small-budget cast. Or, actually, this is the Fast and Furious symptom. People who are trying to do things that are out of their elements, comes off as corny.

What I mean is that, something like World War Z, for all it's faults, had primarily Brad Pitt as the protagonist, and the people surrounding him are who they are at their respective field, be it science or military. Here, we have a collection of Charlie and a couple of other nerds, who, upon returning from the last tour before contact is lost, somehow decide to step up when the US government (who cares about the rest of the world at the moment, let's focus a bit) apparently doesn't feel it's important enough to follow up on a toxin that one of the soldiers brings back.

And then that cowboy brings in his rag-tag group of deep-sea miners college professors and tour survivors to somehow fly across international airspace, land in russia, travel to the arctic, roll around until they stumbled upon aliens?

And, granted, I've got about 20 minutes to go, but I love the fact that none of them considered the possibility of them GOING IN being the 'trigger' point to launch that invasion a couple of decades in the future.

Just... a lot of poor plotholes and recycling cast members to give it a cheezy vibe. But, hey, at least a couple of the CGI shots were set up and filmed amazingly, like the Constantine-like dive.

Like I said… people can’t enjoy mindless action films anymore 😂

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Like I said… people can’t enjoy mindless action films anymore 😂

There's mindless, then there's being treated like you are stupid and need it drawn out in crayons.

A good mindless action film has fun rewatchability. This feels more under "seen it once and forget" vibes. 

• Like 1