What movie are you watching?

Forge

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Love and monsters really is just a highly entertaining movie

Honestly I liked that. It feels like that theme and genre is largely dead now but it was done well and refreshing. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 5:52 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Just finished 2 and holy hell what was that lol. The style, music and pretty much every thing else didn’t fit. I can appreciate MI3 more for setting the franchise back on track to what it’s become. 

I didn't hate it, but it really hasnt aged well.   I mean, even then the movie was just decent at best, but now its just funny to watch how corny it is.

I made the mistake of watching the Michael Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, which I promised Id never do, and it was every bit as awful as I expected.

Megan Fox as April was always laughably bad casting....but holy hell is she just a terrible actress on every imaginable level.   

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I made the mistake of watching the Michael Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, which I promised Id never do, and it was every bit as awful as I expected.

Megan Fox as April was always laughably bad casting....but holy hell is she just a terrible actress on every imaginable level.   

I actually don’t think they’re that bad. Agreed Fox was a bad casting, but I can turn my brain off with these movies and enjoy for what it is. At first I didn’t like what they did with the turtles, but they have grown on me.

Also decided to rewatch all the MI movies and after the first 4 my ranking is.

MI3, MI4, MI, MI2…If you can get past JJs light flares, and quick cut scenes MI3 has the best villain and story IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

I actually don’t think they’re that bad. Agreed Fox was a bad casting, but I can turn my brain off with these movies and enjoy for what it is. At first I didn’t like what they did with the turtles, but they have grown on me.

MI3, MI4, MI, MI2…If you can get past JJs light flares, and quick cut scenes MI3 has the best villain and story IMO.

There were a few aspects of the Turtle movies I thought were pretty cool, but I couldnt get past how bad the Turtles looked, the horrible setup for Shredder (which would have been even worse if they had went with their original plans), the weak script in general and acting, particularly from Megan Fox.    Oh, and at parts the CG was laughably bad.   

I agree about MI3.  That kept the franchise going IMO.   If 3 had been on par with 2, I dont think the MI franchise would still be going as strong as it is.   Although Tom Cruise is a huge draw regardless, so who knows.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:50 AM, Fresh Prince said:

MI3 is just ruined by JJ’s horrible directing. The shaky cam being the other problem. I wish Brad Bird had directed that movie instead. Here was a good breakdown of his issue when the first new Star Wars came out.

Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino’s best.

You really can’t top it. You can have a different favorite Tarantino movie and I won’t fault you, but if you call any of his other films better than Basterds, you’re flat wrong.

There is one single scene in the history of film that was as good as the bar scene in Basterds, and only one other that came close to being as good.

It drips with tension, but it also delivered the release better than any other similar scene.

A lot of directors can deliver suspense, but not a lot can deliver suspense and also deliver the payoff. This one scene did.

Plus, Fassenbender’s character got introduced 5 minutes before the start of the scene and you still felt the weight of his character’s death.

Tarantino created a likable character, then took him away in devastating fashion like 7 minutes later.

And that’s just one of about 7 highly memorable scenes.

The ****ing Hurt Locker won best picture that year. Lol.

The Hurt Locker won’t be remembered in 10 years while Basterds will be in 100.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 2:11 AM, 43M said:

My kids are back into TMNT again and we watched both. The turtles themselves are great but everything else is such a mess.

The 2nd one is way worse but I entertained myself pretending that Laura Linney was reprising her role as Wendy Byrde for it.  Wendy had taken a deal with the FBI to avoid prosecution and went to work for them. This was her first big assignment and it happened to be Shredder and the turtles lol. 

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Inglourious Basterds is Tarantino’s best.

You really can’t top it. You can have a different favorite Tarantino movie and I won’t fault you, but if you call any of his other films better than Basterds, you’re flat wrong.

There is one single scene in the history of film that was as good as the bar scene in Basterds, and only one other that came close to being as good.

It drips with tension, but it also delivered the release better than any other similar scene.

A lot of directors can deliver suspense, but not a lot can deliver suspense and also deliver the payoff. This one scene did.

Plus, Fassenbender’s character got introduced 5 minutes before the start of the scene and you still felt the weight of his character’s death.

Tarantino created a likable character, then took him away in devastating fashion like 7 minutes later.

And that’s just one of about 7 highly memorable scenes.

The ****ing Hurt Locker won best picture that year. Lol.

The Hurt Locker won’t be remembered in 10 years while Basterds will be in 100.

No arguments on that bar scene, it's a masterful scene.  Basterds will never be one of my favorite Tarantino movies though because I think it sort of falls apart in the last 30 minutes.  Still a great movie, but it's below Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs for me.  In terms of likability, it's probably also below Kill Bill, although i'd call Basterd's a better made movie than Kill Bill.

• Like 2