What movie are you watching?

Forge

16 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

um.. that's part of his change..he was an *******

I get that, but they didn't ask him questions. They were just greeting him. It makes him more unlikable for no reason. His change is realizing he's a bad father. Making him a bad father and an unnecessary ******* is too much.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I get that, but they didn't ask him questions. They were just greeting him. It makes him more unlikable for no reason. His change is realizing he's a bad father. Making him a bad father and an unnecessary ******* is too much.

*******s don't need to be asked questions.. I am sure you know many of them.. I do

On 11/18/2022 at 7:02 PM, seminoles1 said:

I get that Jim Carrey can't lie in Liar Liar, but why does he have to be an ******* when people aren't even asking him questions?

I randomly sought out Liar Liar and watched it Friday too lol. He was a cutthroat egotistical lawyer willing to do whatever to win and throw others under the bus to get ahead. He was a narcissist that found it easier to lie about everything than face his truths. Him being an ahole throughout with enough sprinkled in to make you assume there was good in him (like his baby mama wanting him to figure it out while stringing Cary elwes along) made his empathetic redemption land harder 

24 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I randomly sought out Liar Liar and watched it Friday too lol. He was a cutthroat egotistical lawyer willing to do whatever to win and throw others under the bus to get ahead. He was a narcissist that found it easier to lie about everything than face his truths. Him being an ahole throughout with enough sprinkled in to make you assume there was good in him (like his baby mama wanting him to figure it out while stringing Cary elwes along) made his empathetic redemption land harder 

I just didn't get that from the film. We already knew he was cutthroat and that he was holding back opinions about his co-workers/people in his building based on earlier scenes. The fact that he's holding those opinions back and not directly treating people like dirt doesn't lay the ground an ******* redemption arc. We all have bad opinions we hold in, so he's no different than anyone in this regard. The fact that he keeps those opinions to himself means he actually cares about not hurting them.

I'm exclusively talking about the scene after his first court appearance when he can't lie. He's walking through the building trying to get to his office and just laying into random people even though they aren't putting him in positions to lie. He's just straight mean. It was over the top and made it harder to root for him to me. It didn't improve his redemption because none of that was shown or even hinted at after the 24 hours is up, only improving himself as a father.

I just thought it was too much. Make him a bad father, or make him a cutthroat ******* who doesn't consider other people's feelings. Doing both without giving the second one closure is over the top and made him a completely unlikable protagonist. That scene was written to give us some cheap laughs, but it went too far.

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's walking through the building trying to get to his office and just laying into random people even though they aren't putting him in positions to lie

Its because he tried to say something fake and nice and it came out being his unfiltered mean thoughts.

You know, because he cant lie

• Like 2

If you watch Nope at face value and ignore all the pretentious drivel, it’s not a bad movie. Of all of his films, this one is probably my favorite. He could be so good if he just tried to make something entertaining and scary without trying to inject pretentious symbolism and deeper meaning.

Probably one of the more talented and original/unique horror creators out there now, but still… Make a movie, not a pretentious film student essay on how the blue drapes represent depression.

I just really badly want to love this movie. Michael Wincott is a top ten underrated character actor ever, great pacing, great characters, great dialogue, extremely original plot, but Peele just tries too hard to make it more than what it had to be.

7/10. I’ll watch it a third time at some point. I will say it definitely appreciated in value. Significantly.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:10 AM, Malfatron said:

Yeah he directed it, and its really well done.

They definitely hit what they were going for

His first solo movie, and I was surprised to learn that he directed it, but im looking forward to more

I watched it over the weekend and liked it. What an insane amount of misdirection. 

• Like 1