What movie are you watching?

Forge

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Where I think Inception and Interstellar excel are the way I am able to connect emotionally with the plot and the way it makes me feel watching it.  They take me on a ride.  Brilliant immersion.

Dunkirk might be the best sound edited film of the 21st century as well imo, as little as I really know about the topic to be fair.

I've always been consistent on The Dark Knight.  Love it, always have, directly after it came out I still rated Batman Begins above it, even in the heat of the moment of its release.  The only reason it's not in the top 5 because I think Nolan has just been THAT good.

11 movies in 23 years isn't that bad of a pace, i'd rather he take his time and do the right projects rather than just **** out movies to fill a list up.  There is a reason why pretty much every A list actor is lining up to work with Nolan, the number of people he got to play bit parts in Oppenheimer is nuts.

There are not many great Directors period, especially with most of the crap coming out of Hollywood.  Tarantino is right up there especially since he writes his own films but I guess Nolan is in that same boat to some degree but has less unique subject matter and plays off of something else usually.  

David Fincher has one heck of a track list, also has made way more movies which in a way is impressive and in another way not so much.  And I would say in terms of pure quality he has more quality elite level movies than Nolan does.  The top four are all rock solid and could easily add two more to in with Panic Room and Alien 3.  

Se7en
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Fight Club
The Social Network
Panic Room
Alien 3
Zodiac
Gone Girl
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Game

I would say I like Fincher's top three over any Nolan movie.  Odd thing is Fincher has not done anything of note for awhile now where Nolan has more recent films actually.  I used to really follow directors because it gave ideas for new Netflix rentals.  Now what is the point, have to subscribe to what random company made the stupid film and has a streaming service and then get a plan for a few months to watch it?  Sucks Netflix is gone...  But every company is basically just holding their own movies and only showing them on their platforms.

Peter Farrelly is way up there, all time great comedies no question

Dumb and Dumber
Kingpin
There is something about Mary
Green Book
Shallow Hal
Fever Pitch
Hall Pass
Dumber and Dumber To

Coen Brothers for sure as well...  Still again even with the Coen Brothers and Farrelly and Fincher.  all the best movies them made are better than Nolan's best in my opinion.  

No Country for Old Men
Fargo
Blood Simple
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Burn After Reading
The Big Lebowski
True Grit

• Like 2

Coen brothers for me

1. Burn After Reading

2. Fargo

3. No Country For Old Men

4. The Big Lebowski

5. Raising Arizona

6. True Grit

7. O Brother, Where Art Thou

8. Barton Fink

9. The Man Who Wasn't There

10.A Serious Man

6 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Heres my favorites

1. Memento

2. The Prestige

3. The Dark Knight

4. The Dark Knight Rises

5. Interstellar

6. Batman Begins

7. Inception

didnt see
Oppenheimer
Dunkirk
Tenet
Insomnia

the things that makes nolan great, aren't the things i really love in movies. so i'm not really the biggest nolan fan. his movies end and i'm like yeah that was great, but a lot of times nothing really grabs me and leaves me thinking about anything in particular after i finish watching 

loved; have rewatched multiple times; classics for me 
1) interstellar
2) the prestige 

liked; really appreciate it
3) inception 

kinda liked; had a good time at the theater 
4) batman begins
5) dark knight

didn't like, but pacino's great/awful performance made me have a blast
6) insomnia

whatever; didn't hate, but not my thing
7) oppenheimer 

didn't like; not my thing; probably won't ever rewatch on my own accord
8.) memento
9) dunkirk
10) following

really disliked; was bored and didn't really enjoy many aspects
11) dark knight rises 

i went to tenet in the theaters and fell asleep, not even because i was bored, i was just dead tired. still haven't watched because whenever i'm in the mood to watch it it's not on a streamer. see it's on tubi now... think i might give it watch maybe tonight 

Denis Villeneuve has been on fire his last 7 movies.

Damien Chazelle

I hate that Ryan Coogler doesn't direct more often. Same with Greta Gerwig.

Wes Anderson, though he is kind of one note. Same with Edgar Wright.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I like Fincher, but the only movie of his that cracks Nolan's top 7 for me is Social Network.

That's wild. I'd almost argue the opposite.

10 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

the things that makes nolan great, aren't the things i really love in movies. so i'm not really the biggest nolan fan. his movies end and i'm like yeah that was great, but a lot of times nothing really grabs me and leaves me thinking about anything in particular after i finish watching 

loved; have rewatched multiple times; classics for me 
1) interstellar
2) the prestige 

liked; really appreciate it
3) inception 

kinda liked; had a good time at the theater 
4) batman begins
5) dark knight

didn't like, but pacino's great/awful performance made me have a blast
6) insomnia

whatever; didn't hate, but not my thing
7) oppenheimer 

didn't like; not my thing; probably won't ever rewatch on my own accord
8.) memento
9) dunkirk
10) following

really disliked; was bored and didn't really enjoy many aspects
11) dark knight rises 

i went to tenet in the theaters and fell asleep, not even because i was bored, i was just dead tired. still haven't watched because whenever i'm in the mood to watch it it's not on a streamer. see it's on tubi now... think i might give it watch maybe tonight 

Yeah im not the biggest nolan fan either really.

I only really liked batman dark knight rises bc of bane, and anything below on my list i really didnt like

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Coen brothers for me

1. Burn After Reading

2. Fargo

3. No Country For Old Men

4. The Big Lebowski

5. Raising Arizona

6. True Grit

7. O Brother, Where Art Thou

8. Barton Fink

9. The Man Who Wasn't There

10.A Serious Man

really really rough rankings for me because i haven't seen a lot of these in like 10-15 years and barely remember some of them... was planning a complete coen brother rewatch soon actually 

1) inside llewyn davis (love it; have seen like 7-9 times since it came out)
2) burn after reading (pound for pound funniest coen for me)
3) big lebowski (favorite movie when i was like 16. some bits i don't love like i used to. still love the feeling) 
4) a serious man (hated when i was a kid. saw like a year ago and thought it was tremendous once it finished, but didn't really love the watch. loved it thinking about it after. wanna watch again)
5) true grit (only saw it once like 2 years ago, but remember really liking it. was surprised how funny/touching/fun it was) 
6) fargo (haven't seen in forever. remember thinking it was really solid. never loved it.)
7) raising arizona (saw in high school and absolutely loved it. never seen live action looney tunes type ****, so i was really into it. have seen it like 3-4 times now, still really like it, but not as into it)
8.) o brother where art thou (haven't seen this since i was in like 3rd grade. liked it a lot then. i dunno, feel like i would still love it. maybe even have way higher. this is more of a guess from the very little remember. 
9) no country for old men (great tense moments. great character work. never really hooked me for whatever reason. only saw once like 5 years ago. rewatch might help a lot)
10) ballad of buster scruggs (certain parts loved. certain parts whatever. certain parts a slog) 
11) man who wasn't there (saw this once like 8 years ago and wasn't in the mood. feel like a rewatch i would like more now)
12) hudsucker proxy (saw a long time ago. i remember visually the beginning was insane and i loved it and then i remember getting kinda bored)
13) intolerable cruelty (saw like 3 years ago and thought it was pretty funny)
14) drive away dolls (saw in theaters and did not like) 
15) blood simple (not my thing at all)
16) ladykillers (tom hanks was interesting, kinda funny, slog through a lot of it)
17) tragedy of macbeth (not my thing at all, found really annoying) 

haven't seen millers crossing, barton fink (which i know i'm gonna love), hail ceasar (i saw like 30 minutes and wasn't in the mood so i turned it off) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

burn after reading (pound for pound funniest coen for me)

Definitely. Its in my top ten funniest movies all time for me. Its totally the humor i love from start to finish. I rewatched 10+ times

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Definitely. Its in my top ten funniest movies all time for me. Its totally the humor i love from start to finish. I rewatched 10+ times

so many parts i absolutely love lol. think about this little sequence all the time for some reason lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

David Fincher has one heck of a track list, also has made way more movies which in a way is impressive and in another way not so much.  And I would say in terms of pure quality he has more quality elite level movies than Nolan does.  The top four are all rock solid and could easily add two more to in with Panic Room and Alien 3.  

Se7en
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Fight Club
The Social Network
Panic Room
Alien 3
Zodiac
Gone Girl
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Game

also not a huge fincher guy personally. i'm a big movie rewatcher and i think all i've ever rewatched was fight club. rough rankings....

1) fight club (still love it every time, think so many repeated viewings and the fact it's so quoted and everywhere over the years has made it feel a little corny, but i still love it) 
2) gone girl (only saw this once back when it came out, but remember it being great. have been wanting to rewatch.) 
3) social network (great/solid movie. also wanna rewatch.) 
4) curious case of benjamin button (i know a lotta people say this movie sucks and i kinda agree, but i had a good time watching this one lol. honestly it's the one i'm most interested in rewatching) 
5) se7en (maybe just because it got spoiled to death for me by the time i got around to watching it, so it lost some of it's impact... but it was great. detective **** is never really my thing, but loved the atmosphere)
6) the game (this was fun. thought it was gonna get even crazier than it did, but had fun) 
7) panic room (i thought this was pretty fun for what it was) 
8.) alien 3 (i had a decent time. ballsy movie by fincher) 
9) mank (kinda liked it. would not wanna rewatch) 
10) the killer (kinda liked it. it ended and it's just kinda like "ok") 
11) zodiac (not my thing)
12) girl with the dragon tattoo (100% not my thing. hate to do that when it's your avi lol. i recognize it's probably great, just didn't connect with me, not really what gets me excited in movies) 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Peter Farrelly is way up there, all time great comedies no question

Dumb and Dumber
Kingpin
There is something about Mary
Green Book
Shallow Hal
Fever Pitch
Hall Pass
Dumber and Dumber To

farrelly brother rankings for me

1. fever pitch (i love the vibe of this rom-com. comfort watch for me. love drew barrymore in these kinds of movies. love the way sports fandom is represented and how they captured the feeling/warmth of sports fandom... one of my favorite rom coms ever tbh) 
2. stuck on you (this movie is underrated imo. another feel-good one for me)
3. there's something about mary (this was one of my family's staples so i've seen it so many ******* times, but it's great) 
4. dumb and dumber (classic bits, still makes me laugh) 
5. greatest beer run ever (i actually really loved the vibe in this one. funny and kinda compelling. thought it was underrated) 
6. champions (the first half of this actually made me laugh a lot. like maybe more than any farrelly brother movie. i was cracking up in the theater. second half i didn't love as much, but still was a solid movie) 
7. me myself and irene (loved this in high school. rewatched a couple years and still liked it, just not like i used to) 
8. kingpin (it was alright; know it's a classic for a lot. think i laughed once or twice)
9. shallow hal (i dunno there was some kinda funny parts i guess) 
10. ricky stanicky (had some funny parts. it was fine, wasn't bored) 
11. the heartbreak kid (have seen this a few times actually. most recent watch i was surprised how annoying i found it) 
12. hall pass (this was boring and unfunny for me) 
13. dumb and dumber to (i remember maybe 3 minutes of this movie. i remember thinking it was awful) 
14. osmosis jones (liked when i was a kid i remember. watched this as an adult and it was rough) 
15. three stooges (i love will sasso as a person, but this was hard to get thru) 

only one i haven't seen is their academy award winner green book lol. been wanting to peep it, it's just never on any of the streamers. 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There are not many great Directors period, especially with most of the crap coming out of Hollywood.

i don't think we're in the quality movie draught like many talk about. think the general public is just less interested in the medium than ever before and don't really seek out or have interest in interesting/less conventional movies. at least from what i've gathered from people i talk to. it's like people complain about reboots/remakes, etc. and then i'll mention an interesting movie that's in the theater or playing over at the arthouse theater and they kinda scoff like "i've never even heard of that" and then just kinda move on... it's like that's on you pal lol.