Hypothetical: Would you trade a first round pick for OBJ?

DoleINGout

Would you trade at least a first round pick for OBJ?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade at least a first round pick for OBJ?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/16/2020 at 09:26 PM

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Cam had the most rushing attempts in this game since a game in 2014! 

@Deadpulse You said the offense is more suited to Cam than it was TB12 last season. I said 'quite possibly'. I now change that to definitely!

I've rewatched, WRs still didn't get open. When a WR caught the ball, he was either covered anyway (Edelman), or schemed open through running sweep motions before snap (Harry). None of them actually got open beyond 10yards all day.

The OL was so good punching holes in the middle, Thuney and Mason bullied their opposites. Bullied them. The runnings backs contributed well, reflected in 6! Players getting more than 20 yards on the ground (as you've put above). 

A Tom Brady offense should be on time, and get open receivers between zones. A Cam offense should bully people on the ground, and prioritize RPO/running plays first.

This is a Cam offense. 

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

This is Cams offense however we all heard the announcers during the game saying they better find a way to beat 8 man fronts going forward.  The Pats WR group is so bad that they will see man coverage for the rest of the year.

Thoughts?

There is no one on the roster that will make defenses respect the long ball. This team will live and die if the Oline  is opening holes for Cam and RBs and I don't feel this is a recipe for success. How long can Cam take a weekly pounding to keep the ball moving? I am not sure if OBJ is the answer, do Browns want to trade him because he is being a bum? Do they want to keep him until they think the playoffs are just not in reach anymore? is a 1st round pick worth it? Honestly I don't think so but at the same time I am fully aware OBJ will probably be better then any WR bill picks with that first rounder.

Edited by The Third Rider

4 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

There is no one on the roster that will make defenses respect the long ball. This team will live and die if the Oline  is opening holes for Cam and RBs and I don't feel this is a recipe for success. How long can Cam take a weekly pounding to keep the ball moving? I am not sure if OBJ is the answer, do Browns want to trade him because he is being a bum? Do they want to keep him until they think the playoffs are just not in reach anymore? is a 1st round pick worth it? Honestly I don't think so but at the same time I am fully aware OBJ will probably be better then any WR bill picks with that first rounder.

8-8 is modest and the realistic worst I see. 10-6 is reasonable to me with the schedule. That's aside from the point I want to make though which is counter to your whole argument about running the football starting with Cam. First off- Yes, that is the identity of this offense now, it is true. However, Cam is underrated throwing the ball and that is where I see the value in adding just one receiver like Allen Robinson III or OBJ.

11 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not comparing the players, I am comparing the potential success of the deal being fruitful for the Patriots. 

Still poor take, as trading a first or -- as you put it, a "2nd and 5th" -- would be roughly the same as what they gave up for Sanu less than a year ago. Younger, BETTER - (ya'know, like actually a #1 guy as opposed to a #5 or 4.5), and under contract when the Pats can afford it that is actually below market value versus absurdly above it like Sanu, and... well... just this season alone with ARob would make it a much better "potential success" than what the Sanu deal was.

It cannot be stated enough how bad of a disaster that Sanu trade was. Awful, just absolutely A W F U L.

It is your opinion @Deadpulse which is fine, I respect that. I don't see how Allen Robinson - for close to the same compensation that Sanu drew - is the same level of potential success given the absurd gulf in talent between the two men. Factoring in age, contract value/length, and opportunity/Super Bowl window with Cam Newton for 1-7 million this season, it is not even a discussion that warrants much of an opinion I feel when comparing the two deals.