Week 2 GDT - New York Jets vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Im not too worried about losing Morstert. Explosive as he is, I like our RBs to pick up the slack. I'd promote Hasty on gamedays and see if those four guys can get it done.

The thing is that Mostert is that explosive guy that is always a threat to break one, as he did today and last week. That has an impact on defenses. 

Edited by mw2noobbuster

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Im not too worried about losing Morstert. Explosive as he is, I like our RBs to pick up the slack. I'd promote Hasty on gamedays and see if those four guys can get it done.

Tevin Coleman is just not a good running back at this point. There's a huge difference there. So as long as we aren't relying mostly on him, I'm fine with it. Jet has looked good both weeks, and Wilson always seems to make plays. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Still a big drop off from Mostert to the rest of the backs. He's just different. 

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

We can probably beat the the G-Men with Mullens, though its not going to be easy. I'd be shock if we beat Philly with Mullens. Their front four can still bring it and Mullens is worst than Jimmy when he's pressured so I'm not really optimistic there. The Dolphins are sneaky. Played the Bills tough today. Again, a game Mullens can win but its far from certain. 

And even when we do get healthy, games against teams like the Saints, Hawks, Pats, and Cards were already going to be tough with us fully healthy. If we lose guys like Bosa and Thomas indefinitely, those teams become that much harder. Our font four is the heart of the defense. No Bosa, no Thomas as a rotationally 3T and Ford may or may not be healthy at this point and we're just not the same defense. Not close. 

I think you are severely overrating the Eagles. They just aren't good. I don't think it is a given we win that game, just it won't be "shocking" at all. Bosa is amazing and arguably our best player so losing him obviously is a big blow. But the defense is sound and full of talent so they aren't all of a sudden going to drop to one of the worst units in the league. Probably now borderline top 8-10 without Bosa. We will need Ford back relatively soon but Hyder is showing to be solid. Had a very good game today. 

What's going to need to happen is for the defense to start creating more turnovers. Kwon and Warner will need to start coming down with some INTs and start forcing some fumbles. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Probably now borderline top 8-10

I thought we were 5-10 heading into the season just from natural regression. Hard to keep up a top three defense year over year. So this is terrifying. We were one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year without ford at one point, so I don't even know what kind of impact this has. 

Just have to ride it out and find out

48 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

We he sure as hell didn't elicit much hope. He looked completely unprepared when he came in, even though he had all of halftime and most of the 2nd quarter to get himself together mentally. He's going to have to be immensely better next week and going forward to hold down the fort until Jimmy gets back behind center. 

He looked fine. His problem was just a lack of reps. Not like we needed him to do anything and he threw the ball pretty well after the first few plays. Not sure what you wanted from him today 

We can win some games with Nick Mullens operating the offense with Kyle getting guys open. 

Especially if aiyuk builds on the flashes he showed. Mullens is gonna get the ball in the hands of aiyuk and Jordan reed and there will be positive plays in the passing game. 

Aiyuk and deebo are going to be a fun combination. Both guys are soooo good with the ball in their hands 

McKinnon looked great and I feel fine with him and Coleman for a few weeks. Hopefully mostert is fine 

So we should still have a pretty solid offense 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I thought we were 5-10 heading into the season just from natural regression. Hard to keep up a top three defense year over year. So this is terrifying. We were one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year without ford at one point, so I don't even know what kind of impact this has. 

Just have to ride it out and find out

Maybe, but there's still a whole a lot of talent on that side of the ball. Definitely will need Ford out there soon, but when Ford was gone, so was Kwon and Tartt. Though who is to say they don't get in the next few weeks? I don't see the defense all of a sudden becoming super mediocre or anything. Still have sound secondary play with arguably the best LB core in the league. And our interior DL is still good, especially when Armstead shifts inside on nickel downs. 

Even with all the injuries, we should still be 4-1 after the Eagles game. Guys will start getting healthier for the stretch run. Losing Bosa sucks, but Armstead/Hyder/Kinlaw will just have to step up to create pressure. 

There will be a dropoff, this isn't a #1 seed caliber team anymore, but they should still be able to win 10 games and make the playoffs as a WC. 

We could legit see all 4 teams from the NFCW in the playofffs. Probably the Cowboys/Packers/Saints win their divisions. None of the other teams look too hot right about now, including the Bucs

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maybe, but there's still a whole a lot of talent on that side of the ball. Definitely will need Ford out there soon, but when Ford was gone, so was Kwon and Tartt. Though who is to say they don't get in the next few weeks? I don't see the defense all of a sudden becoming super mediocre or anything. Still have sound secondary play with arguably the best LB core in the league. And our interior DL is still good, especially when Armstead shifts inside on nickel downs. 

Its not about being mediocre. Its about stoping the really good offenses. We still have to play the Saints, Pats, Hawks(twice), GB, Lambs(twice) and Cards. Not to mention teams like the Bills wont be easy at all. And As Forge stated, we were not good last year w/o Ford and the field. And that was with a rookie DPOY, AA, and DeFo still all playing together at a elite level. 

Now you take both Bosa and DeFo out of the equation, along with a already banged up Ford and you don't expect a drop off??

I mean at this point, can we even count on Ford to stay healthy?? That's a big if right now imo....

and we're missing key depth pieces from last year like Blair, Thomas, and Taylor. 

I mean I'm usually not a doom and gloom guy but this is very disturbing for a team who's about to lose their starting QB for a minimum of 2-3 weeks at least and will need to lean on their defense to help shoulder the lost. 

I'm definitely not saying the season is over. But I'm having serious reservations about us making the playoffs right now. Now I may feel better about our chances 3-4 weeks from now. But I've never seen a team lose as much star talent and starting talent as we have in the span of two weeks. 

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Its not about being mediocre. Its about stoping the really good offenses. We still have to play the Saints, Pats, Hawks(twice), GB, Lambs(twice) and Cards. Not to mention teams like the Bills wont be easy at all. And As Forge stated, we were not good last year w/o Ford and the field. And that was with a rookie DPOY, AA, and DeFo still all playing together at a elite level. 

Now you take both Bosa and DeFo out of the equation, along with a already banged up Ford and you don't expect a drop off??

I mean at this point, can we even count on Ford to stay healthy?? That's a big if right now imo....

and we're missing key depth pieces from last year like Blair, Thomas, and Taylor. 

I mean I'm usually not a doom and gloom guy but this is very disturbing for a team who's about to lose their starting QB for a minimum of 2-3 weeks at least and will need to lean on their defense to help shoulder the lost. 

We were not good without Ford, but as stated, that was also without Tartt and Kwon. Bosa is amazing he's a huge loss no question. But what we lose defensively, we can be better offensively. The team will get Deebo and Kittle back soon and Aiyuk with more playing time will get better. The addition of Reed to this offense is huge and we finally have a legitimate RZ option. For some reason Kittle has not been able to break through in that area of the field. 

The depth of the DL as of now is shattered. Blair can't come back before week 6, but he will be a welcomed addition. The team has to make it through the next three weeks without Jimmy with three winnable games. Mullens was a bit shaky today but he's going to be fine. He will throw some INTs but will also make some big plays. Our offense shouldn't have a massive drop off or anything. Mostert being out for a few weeks does bother me because he's the lone true big play threat and can break one long every single game. 

44 minutes ago, N4L said:

So we should still have a pretty solid offense 

Against the defenses we get to play? Yes, I think it'll be okay. In the context of an entire season, compared to all the other teams in the league, I think the offense would largely cap out at average with Mullens under center. 

Which is still kind of impressive, tbh.