Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

I'm wary about this list/no trade clause. I know Deshaun has leverage here, in that he gets to approve or reject any potential trades that Houston may actually accept if they feel the value is fair, but surely if Deshaun Watson is that unhappy being in Houston, and is that desperate to get away, then he'll be happy to go to any team that actually manages to build enough of a package to get Houston to say yes. 

For example the Jets and Dolphins may not be on his "list", but in reality they're the teams in the best position to create a value offer for the Texans, and if they did so, would he just turn around and say no simply because he can?

Can't imagine he'd rather sit out the season being fined than actually play football for another NFL team.

I don't think Watson would go through all the trouble of leaving a team he doesn't want to play for, to go to another team he doesn't want to play for. 

Who knows how it'll end up. But from Fowler's report, it seems like DEN & SF are at the top of his list. MIA was included at the end of his statement, but it seemed like more of an "eh, i guess" kind of thing. 

CAR would be intriguing though. If its actually 3 1st's & McCaffrey, thats an easy yes for them. If its 3 1st's + Short or Burns, it becomes a bit tougher, but i still think a yes on their part.

13 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Can't imagine he'd rather sit out the season being fined than actually play football for another NFL team.

I don't think he'd sit the ENTIRE season - he'd have to play 10 games I think to get the year credited to his contract - so he'd show up around week six, maybe fake and injury and dare the Texans to IR him.

It's out of character for such a competetor, but nobody really blames him...

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/16/tennessee-titans-jon-robinson-j-j-watt-nfl-free-agency/

There seems to be legs on this. Vrabel and Watt had a good relationship with Vrabel, and the connection did work out with Jadevion Clowney...

While it is possible, wouldn't Watt be respectful to not go to a team Houston is in the division. Clowney and him are two different people and Clowney/Houston organization ended on a sour note. Do you think Watt would be willing to go to Tenn having to face his old team twice a year or does that not matter?

I just think some players would respect that and not go to a division rival but maybe I am wrong in that sense. Looking at players like Larry Fitzgerald dressing up in a Niners/Rams/Seahawks jersey seems unnatural or a Aj Green on Pitt/Ravens/Browns jersey. This includes Watt in AFC South uni's 

9 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't think Watson would go through all the trouble of leaving a team he doesn't want to play for, to go to another team he doesn't want to play for. 

Who knows how it'll end up. But from Fowler's report, it seems like DEN & SF are at the top of his list. MIA was included at the end of his statement, but it seemed like more of an "eh, i guess" kind of thing. 

CAR would be intriguing though. If its actually 3 1st's & McCaffrey, thats an easy yes for them. If its 3 1st's + Short or Burns, it becomes a bit tougher, but i still think a yes on their part.

Fair but he's assuming one of the teams he does want to play for will come in with an offer. 

Sure if you're the Broncos or 49ers right now, you might be sat there thinking "Great. Deshaun Watson wants to come here" and busily trying to create a value trade to get him but it's going to take a lot and not every team will be able to and be willing to put it together to Houston's satisfaction.

So in a scenario where say the Jets were the only team able to match Houston's value, I can't imagine him saying no as that would be his only way out of a situation he has said he wants no part of anymore. 

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't think he'd sit the ENTIRE season - he'd have to play 10 games I think to get the year credited to his contract - so he'd show up around week six, maybe fake and injury and dare the Texans to IR him.

I don't think anyone would blame him for doing that if ended up staying in Houston, but I imagine if he had to choose between doing that or actually playing for a team that may not have been top of his destination list, it would be the latter. 

7 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

While it is possible, wouldn't Watt be respectful to not go to a team Houston is in the division.

I think respect is out the window - Watt isn't going to actively look at an AFCS team, but he's going to the best situation and best deal. If it's Tennessee or Indianapolis, then so be it.

Had this been before Jack Easterby... then yeah, sure. But that toothpaste is out of the tube now, a lot of guys aren't buying in on this version of loyal. Fans of the team see this as well and we're supporting these guys wherever they end up.

On the record, I'm getting a Watt shirt-zee - even if it's a Titans or Colts one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

I don't think anyone would blame him for doing that if ended up staying in Houston, but I imagine if he had to choose between doing that or actually playing for a team that may not have been top of his destination list, it would be the latter. 

I don't know if I believe that - he wants out, sure. But why would Watson jump into a spot that might be similar (or possibly even worse) situation?

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't know if I believe that - he wants out, sure. But why would Watson jump into a spot that might be similar (or possibly even worse) situation?

The main reason (or the reason the media is projecting) that seems to have forced Watson's hand is his relationship with the FO, mainly McNair and Easterby and the situation with Caserio's hiring that Watson was promised he would be involved with but ultimately wasn't. Trading away D Hop of course made him unhappy but it seems the GM business was the one that tipped it over the edge.

So what Watson is saying is he wants out as he can't trust the FO anymore. So if a team, let's say the Jets as they don't seem to be on Deshaun's preferred list so to speak, come to the Texans and offer their 2 1st's this year, their 1st next year and Sam Darnold, Houston says "great, works for us. Over to you Deshaun". Deshaun now has the opportunity to walk away from McNair, Easterby and all those problems he has and start new. 

Yes the Jets had the 2nd worst record in the league last year, and their ownership situation isn't considered great either, but you ultimately have the chance to get away from the people you can't trust and resume your NFL career.

I just think if Deshaun is actually faced with that chance, he'll find it harder to say no than he seems to be doing to some teams at the moment. 

(P.S. I don't know if Houston would actually accept the above trade in reality. That's probably more your knowledge @ET80)

Edited by PFM18

11 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Yes the Jets had the 2nd worst record in the league last year, and their ownership situation isn't considered great either, but you ultimately have the chance to get away from the people you can't trust and resume your NFL career.

This is the crux of my discussion here - why jump out of a frying pan if you're only getting yourself into a burning fire? 

For a bad as the Texans ownership is - they were a perennial playoff team, Watson only missed one playoff season in which he was healthy (last seasons 4-12 season). 

The Jets have been a perennial disaster in that same timeframe - I mean, when was the last time the Jets were in the playoff discussion (not even the playoff hunt)? During the Rex Ryan era? From there, you have ownership bringing in guys like Mangini, Gase and Bowles - and in the case of Bowles, we found out recently that he might not have been the problem. Right now, the Jets are 100% based on the promise of a 1st time HC and a "respected" GM (not necessarily a good GM...)

Really, it's the devil you know vs the devil you don't know when it's McNair v Johnson. There's nothing in the last 10 years that tells me that NYJ would be any better a situation...

...and that's not even going into a roster that might have an issue beating Alabama

50 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why wait until week 6? He can just do this week 1 and get paid the full salary

Worked for Jalen. 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Why wait until week 6? He can just do this week 1 and get paid the full salary

Worked for Jalen. 

It would be contingent on the Texans IRing him - which I'm certain they wouldn't do. 

They're going to get into a staring contest, and I don't see the Texans blinking. They'll go WFT/Trent Williams over Jax/Jalen Ramsey...

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is the crux of my discussion here - why jump out of a frying pan if you're only getting yourself into a burning fire? 

For a bad as the Texans ownership is - they were a perennial playoff team, Watson only missed one playoff season in which he was healthy (last seasons 4-12 season). 

The Jets have been a perennial disaster in that same timeframe - I mean, when was the last time the Jets were in the playoff discussion (not even the playoff hunt)? During the Rex Ryan era? From there, you have ownership bringing in guys like Mangini, Gase and Bowles - and in the case of Bowles, we found out recently that he might not have been the problem. Right now, the Jets are 100% based on the promise of a 1st time HC and a "respected" GM (not necessarily a good GM...)

Really, it's the devil you know vs the devil you don't know when it's McNair v Johnson. There's nothing in the last 10 years that tells me that NYJ would be any better a situation...

...and that's not even going into a roster that might have an issue beating Alabama

I don't disagree. I suppose the real question is how hot the frying pan is in Deshaun's mind that any chance he gets to leap out of it, he takes.

I'm just going off what Deshaun/the media are putting out there, that he's lost complete trust in the Texans organisation, has no intent to play for them ever again and is willing to sit out to force a trade.

I agree that the Jets are in a bad situation at the moment. It's not the team to go to right now if you're thinking of winning and championships, but its also a team that doesn't have your current untrustworthy front office that you don't talk to anymore. 

I also agree that the Johnsons have a history of bad ownership, but at this moment they also haven't wronged Deshaun and so I don't imagine he would go into that situation and not give them a fair chance to show they could work with him and appreciate him. 

In reality we may not find out if Deshaun would have to make that choice. Maybe SF or Denver (🙂) would stump up an offer that would satisfy Houston and Watson would be happy to go. I would find it interesting though if it got to draft day and the Jets made that offer with no others on the table. 

I sense many twists along the way, along with a lot of who will blink first coming up.

Edited by PFM18

25 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

I don't disagree. I suppose the real question is how hot the frying pan is in Deshaun's mind that any chance he gets to leap out of it, he takes.

Yeah, that has a lot to do with it - but I also think he's aware of who is where and what sort of situation he's walking into. I mean, it hasn't even been a calendar year since Jamal Adams forced his way off the team - sure, it's quick to say that's all Adam Gase, but is it? People going into it knew Gase was on a hot seat, so for Adams to work his way off in the fashion he did - that speaks volumes to that entire FO (of which, the GM is still there).

Watson is not operating in a vacuum - in fact I'd argue he knows more than we do that deep into the discussion.

As others have said, I find it very odd that the two destinations are the teams owning pick 2 and pick 3, own multiple picks in the first round and have a former top 5 pick at QB on a rookie deal. I'm of the belief that the list of teams initially mentioned was leaked by the Texans in an effort to start bidding between those two teams. It doesn't echo what Watson wants, IMO... Whereas the names now (Carolina, Denver, SF - and Miami, actually) have resources/coaching in place to sustain success, ownership that is moderate to good, and a roster that goes from "good" to "SB Contender" with a guy like Watson in the fold.

It's like that song - One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

• Like 1

thinking about the watson CAR offer news more:

When compensation gets released like this, its generally the team who owns the asset trying to drive the price up, or its fake

If this is real, it means that HOU knows they arent taking carolinas offer

So if all of the above is true, then Carolina isnt on Watson's list

36 minutes ago, N4L said:

thinking about the watson CAR offer news more

I think @Forge identified this as a "bold moves" type offer, one that was imaginary speculation by a Panthers beat writer - nothing of substance, just a "if I was in charge, I'd do this..." sort of response.

• Like 1