Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Well,,,

At CMC's contract tolling at just under 11M per year, that's probably not enough - RB is that disposable (no matter how great a guy is, and CMC obviously is).   The Panthers will need to include players like Brian Burns or Derrick Brown, or both, to move the needle.     

And of course, the big issue is if Watson will put Carolina on his go-to list.   Early reports said yes, but the most recent say SF/DEN are the only ones so far, and NYJ not on the list.  One would think MIA should be on the list, but who knows.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Brandin Cooks, Christian McCaffrey and Trey Lance at 8 isn't a terrible way to turn around a franchise long term.

I'd have zero faith in Houston to be able to figure it out given their hiring pattern.

They'd also probably have to move up to make sure they get Lance.   It's far from a given he'll be there.   Plus, I have no idea on the faith / prayer index score Lance brings with him (dead serious, given what VP Easterby has done so far hiring-wise).

The biggest roadblock still remains if Watson will approve a trade there.   It sure seems that the first list of 4 teams (NYJ, MIA, CAR & DEN) were put forth by HOU, not Watson's camp - since we've already heard NYJ isn't in the mix from Watson's side.  We'll see I guess.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I'd have zero faith in Houston to be able to figure it out given their hiring pattern.

They'd also probably have to move up to make sure they get Lance.   It's far from a given he'll be there.   Plus, I have no idea on the faith / prayer index score Lance brings with him (dead serious, given what VP Easterby has done so far hiring-wise).

I get the HOU piece of this. So I won't argue that. But Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields will go before Lance so I think there's a good chance he gets to 8. 

I'm just saying there's worse ways to rebuild a franchise then with the best RB in the NFL, a stop gap QB in Bridgewater, Brandin Cooks, and a QB to sit for a year to groom. 

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

From purely a football perspective, this makes more sense than him going to a team like the Steelers.

But still less so than going to the Packers.

Has Mary Kay Cabot ever been right on anything? She seems like somebody who'd throw anything against the wall.

I wouldn't mind if Watt to Cleveland happened, mind you - I just don't know how accurate she is on these things.

@candyman93? @MWil23?

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Plus, I have no idea on the faith / prayer index score Lance brings with him (dead serious, given what VP Easterby has done so far hiring-wise).

One thing to consider - Trey Lance shares a QB coach with Deshaun Watson (Quincy Avery) so don't expect Lance to be very thrilled at the idea. 

Take me at face value on this - Mac Jones is the QB the Texans are eyeing. I don't know if that's via trade down or actually drafting Mac friggin Jones at 8, but that's the QBOTF for the Texans.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

At CMC's contract tolling at just under 11M per year, that's probably not enough - RB is that disposable (no matter how great a guy is, and CMC obviously is).   The Panthers will need to include players like Brian Burns or Derrick Brown, or both, to move the needle.     

And of course, the big issue is if Watson will put Carolina on his go-to list.   Early reports said yes, but the most recent say SF/DEN are the only ones so far, and NYJ not on the list.  One would think MIA should be on the list, but who knows.

I'm wary about this list/no trade clause. I know Deshaun has leverage here, in that he gets to approve or reject any potential trades that Houston may actually accept if they feel the value is fair, but surely if Deshaun Watson is that unhappy being in Houston, and is that desperate to get away, then he'll be happy to go to any team that actually manages to build enough of a package to get Houston to say yes. 

For example the Jets and Dolphins may not be on his "list", but in reality they're the teams in the best position to create a value offer for the Texans, and if they did so, would he just turn around and say no simply because he can?

Can't imagine he'd rather sit out the season being fined than actually play football for another NFL team.

Edited by PFM18
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Has Mary Kay Cabot ever been right on anything? She seems like somebody who'd throw anything against the wall.

I wouldn't mind if Watt to Cleveland happened, mind you - I just don't know how accurate she is on these things.

@candyman93? @MWil23?

She’s usually a total hack journalist who manufactures rumors. 

• Like 1