Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Notable because those pro days go through at least March (I think OSU's is schedule for 3/31), so no trade for Darnold would happen any time soon. 

They're really also simultaneously inflating his and the #2 overall pick's value by doing this. In terms of supply/demand, they're using the clock leading up to draft day to really see if teams want to play chicken with them. It's smart IMO.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

They're really also simultaneously inflating his and the #2 overall pick's value by doing this. In terms of supply/demand, they're using the clock leading up to draft day to really see if teams want to play chicken with them. It's smart IMO.

I said the same in the 9er forum. They are saying the right things so far. It's a good start for the new Jets regime. 

Just now, Forge said:

I said the same in the 9er forum.

Spider Man Reaction GIF

...as per usual :) 

Just now, Forge said:

They are saying the right things so far. It's a good start for the new Jets regime. 

Speaking as a fan of someone who had to endure DECADES of sheer ineptitude, baby steps in the right direction are a good sign eventually if they're willing to weather the storm and see it through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Notable because those pro days go through at least March (I think OSU's is schedule for 3/31), so no trade for Darnold would happen any time soon. 

I agree only reason id move him asap if someone offers something dumb like a first round pick. But I don't think Darnolds value is what people think it is. At most I bet he goes for a 3rd round pick. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

22 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I agree only reason id move him asap if someone offers something dumb like a first round pick. But I don't think Darnolds value is what people think it is. At most I bet he goes for a 3rd round pick. 

I might be crazy here, but I think Darnold could be had for what the Colts gave up for Carson Wentz - a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year that could become a 1st if certain benchmarks are hit.

Darnold isn't as accomplished as Wentz, but he's much younger, cheaper and not as injury prone (unless you consider mono as an injury). That sort of balances out.

Darnold’s market is also somewhat in limbo IMO until Watson’s situation crystallizes, or the draft nears, whichever happens first.    

A team like SF would see Watson as plan A.  Once the draft is upon teams that have the picks to get QB, then those teams will commit.   Until then, no one is going is close the door on Watson or the draft and pay the Jets’ prices on Darnold, at least until losing the other viable options become a real threat.   

If the Watson situation resolves well before the Draft, then I expect Darnold’s market gets more interest.   Until then it’s more of a domino effect.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I might be crazy here, but I think Darnold could be had for what the Colts gave up for Carson Wentz - a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year that could become a 1st if certain benchmarks are hit.

Darnold isn't as accomplished as Wentz, but he's much younger, cheaper and not as injury prone (unless you consider mono as an injury). That sort of balances out.

I agree I do not see a conditional pick in 2022 being a bad idea. 3/4th this year and a 3rd in 2022 in which can be a 2nd if he plays 75% of the snaps or a 1st if he plays at least 75% of the snaps and is re-signed. Its a win win for both teams. With a $4.75 cap hit on the new team it can allow a team to see what he can do in their system while the Jets land a better pick then what they would get if they flat out trade him today. A team like the Bears could get a battle in Foles, or a Niners get a battle with Jimmy G as they will likely miss out on the top 3 Qbs in the draft. With teams like the Jags, Jets, Falcons, Eagles, Lions, Panthers, Broncos all possibly having interest in a future QB it would cost more for a team like NIners and Bears to move up ahead of them to land a qb.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Darnold’s market is also somewhat in limbo IMO until Watson’s situation crystallizes, or the draft nears, whichever happens first.    

A team like SF would see Watson as plan A.  Once the draft is upon trans, then teams will commit.   Until then, no one is going is close the door on Watson and pay the Jets’ prices on Darnold, at least until losing other viable becomes a real threat.   

If the Watson situation resolves well before the Draft, then I expect Darnold’s market gets more interest.   Until then it’s more of a domino effect.  

I don't see us trading for Darnold. From what is being told they want a upgrade or will stick with Jimmy. Only way they trade for him is to compete for the back up job.

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't see us trading for Darnold. From what is being told they want a upgrade or will stick with Jimmy. Only way they trade for him is to compete for the back up job.

Sure - but SF is just one example.   Point being everyone sees Watson as the prize.   Or the draft class.  For some teams it could be both.  

No one is likely to pay Jets price for Darnold before those alternative situations no longer appear able to address that buyer’s goal. 

3 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

You wouldn't want to trade for him to simply compete against Jimmy G just to see what they could do in TC? What happens if Darnold goes in there beats Jimmy G out and you can cut him saving 23 mil before the season starts. At worst he is your back up if and when Jimmy G goes down again. 

There is really no upgrade available only potential opportunities. Lets just leave watson out of it for the sake of this discussion who would the Niners look at to make a change over Jimmy G? 

With Jimmy G's history your likely thinking an injury will happen, with Rosen on his 4th team in 3 years I dont necessarily see him as an upgrade over Darnold. It wouldn't be out of the realm to take a shot at him to force Jimmy to compete for the starting spot this year

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it's super surprising, but 49ers twitter going off the deep end because there's been so conspiracy theory tweets LOL. 

Teddy would be a GREAT fit in New England and the Belichick Way.  If they don't get this done, they are fools.

Probably would only take a 4th or 5th round pick too.  Get it done Beli!

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Teddy would be a GREAT fit in New England and the Belichick Way.  If they don't get this done, they are fools.

Probably would only take a 4th or 5th round pick too.  Get it done Beli!

Carolina would have to have a starter before making the move same with Niners. If either team lands a qb in the 1st rd I could see the morning of day 2 of the draft where one could be moved. I doubt they move Teddy or Jimmy G without having their future or instant starter on the roster

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

You wouldn't want to trade for him to simply compete against Jimmy G just to see what they could do in TC? What happens if Darnold goes in there beats Jimmy G out and you can cut him saving 23 mil before the season starts. At worst he is your back up if and when Jimmy G goes down again. 

There is really no upgrade available only potential opportunities. Lets just leave watson out of it for the sake of this discussion who would the Niners look at to make a change over Jimmy G? 

With Jimmy G's history your likely thinking an injury will happen, with Rosen on his 4th team in 3 years I dont necessarily see him as an upgrade over Darnold. It wouldn't be out of the realm to take a shot at him to force Jimmy to compete for the starting spot this year

That's fine but we are not getting him to replace Jimmy but compete I'm fine with. But paying high price for Sam to compete isn't worth it unless it's for a 3rd round pick.