Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Its not really a pay cut though, a mere extension to clear the cap is what is going to happen. If he is cut today they still have 21 mil in dead cap. If they extend him by adding on phantom years they are just kicking that dead cap down the road. He will take that 4 mil base salary and they will turn the 15 mil roster bonus in to a signing bonus in which will impact other years. We all know this would be his last year so an extension in which the dead cap is spread out in 2022 and possibly 2023 is what fans should be looking at.

Honestly I do not get the appeal for Steelers to retain him at this point. You are losing a couple pieces on defense, your entire left o-line, one of your top wr, and your rb. Even with clearing the projected 19 mil max for Ben you are still in a spot where cap is an issue but now when you got to pay guys like Fitzpatrick and Watt next year you will have less room to do it. Is Pittsburg really in a position to make a run at the superbowl in the state they are in with Ben on the team and how quickly he regressed? To me it just seems shortsighted and are grasping at a long shot idea he has 1 more run in him. As soon as Bud Dupree went down they only won 1 game. I know its probably not appealing but I would try to maintain the defense as much as possible counting on them like they did in 2019 season after ben went down, as they did fairly well. Then draft a qb like Mac or Trask and bring in a vet on the cheap like Ryan Fitzpatrick to bridge the year. While fixing the oline and the other holes that need to be fixed. With Browns and Ravens having young qbs and room to grow I could see this steelers team ending up in 3rd place in the division. Lets not forget this team will also be playing against the AFC West and NFC North, its a bit different then the AFC South and NFC North. As their schedule was fairly easy in 2020, as they played 8 games against the top 11 draft picks (bengals twice). 2021 they play the bengals twice, Lions, and Broncos. While also facing 7 playoff teams from 2020 season.

His guaranteed money would still be there, but he could lower his base salary substantially.   So it would still be a pay cut if he played in 2022.

And for the record, I am in favor of letting Ben go.   I just doubt it happens this year.

I think the Colts love T.Y. but its best to let him test the market.

If a few teams with bad situations want to overpay him a bit then maybe going back to Indy is best for him.

If no one wants to overpay then he would be welcomed back to Indy.

The Texans might just try to sign him so he can't kill them twice a year anymore.

In 18 games he has 97 catches 1718 yards and 11 TDs vs Houston. That's 17.7 per catch.

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Texans should sign him. He averages what... 200 yards/game in NRG? That's 1,600 yards in half a season.

Cal math good, Cal do smart football.

He definitely loves playing in NRG. I remember hating when the Colts played certain players like Sproles or MJD. They would go off against them.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

He definitely loves playing in NRG. I remember hating when the Colts played certain players like Sproles or MJD. They would go off against them.

Hilton and Dwight Freeney were Texans killers. Freeney absolutely devastated Duane Brown, Brown had no answer to Freeney's spin move...

Granted, everyone on the Colts has killed the Texans at some point. Heck, even Andre Johnson killed the Texans as a Colt.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hilton and Dwight Freeney were Texans killers. Freeney absolutely devastated Duane Brown, Brown had no answer to Freeney's spin move...

Granted, everyone on the Colts has killed the Texans at some point. Heck, even Andre Johnson killed the Texans as a Colt.

I completely forgot that Andre wasn’t a Texans lifer. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It was a forgettable tour with the Colts - he left for a chance at the SB, only to see a Brock Osweiler-led Texans team win the division.

Yep, I remember now. He signed with them the same year as Frank Gore did if memory serves.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yep, I remember now. He signed with them the same year as Frank Gore did if memory serves.  

Yes, forgot Gore was there too - interesting that this conversation is between GW21 and ET80. You'd think if anyone knew, it would be us two. 😅

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Curtis Samuel will be a Jaguar according to my sources.

Is Lavishka Shenault not the WR/RB WR2 type already? Or does the offense have enough to feature two of those types plus Chark as a primary option? Or is Shenault not living up to expectations?

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Is Lavishka Shenault not the WR/RB WR2 type already? Or does the offense have enough to feature two of those types plus Chark as a primary option? Or is Shenault not living up to expectations?

You need more than two WRs...

Shenault is a physical specimen. We still need that small speedster that can take it to the house at any given time.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

You need more than two WRs...

Shenault is a physical specimen. We still need that small speedster that can take it to the house at any given time.

So you guys are done with Keelan Cole, Dede Westbrook and Chris Conley? There was another rookie after Lavishka I thought too, and I would assume Lawrence gets drafted alongside a pick to develop with. I guess it makes sense with the coach connection, just I wouldn't have pegged Curtis Samuel as a high priority Jaguars signing. Defense (DB especially), OL depth (and/or retaining the Alabama tackle) and tight end I thought were the main concerns.

Edited by Trojan

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

So you guys are done with Keelan Cole, Dede Westbrook and Chris Conley? There was another rookie after Lavishka I thought too, and I would assume Lawrence gets drafted alongside a pick to develop with. I guess it makes sense with the coach connection, just I wouldn't have pegged Curtis Samuel as a high priority Jaguars signing. Defense (DB especially), OL depth (and/or retaining the Alabama tackle) and tight end I thought were the main concerns.

Keelans is an FA and may leave, Dede and Conley are definitely gone, and although Colin Johnson flashed it's not like you run with that set of receivers (even if we kept everyone you mentioned) and call it good enough.

Plenty of resources to spread it around while also grabbing a legit WR to add to the nucleus.