Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Name a few. The number of QBs who get to hire their OC is zero. The number of QBs who get to make free agent signings is one, and he’s the greatest QB of all time by a large margin, who takes less money on the cap specifically to bring in guys who know how to win rings. There’s not much other recent precedent for QBs asserting themselves into front office and management decisions that I can think of, other than Watson who’s also burning the thing to the ground.. What makes Wilson so special that he should set the “new norm” of players hiring their own coaches and building the roster? 

Wilson is the “bad guy” here IMO.

1. Russell Wilson's QB accomplishments despite his surroundings are pretty much bar-none compared to anyone else.
  2. Russell Wilson has never asked for anything until now.
  3. Tom Brady can specifically take less cap hits because he's in a pretty unique situation as a player/person, but let's not forget he never gave NE home town discounts until he was in his 40's, IIRC.
  4. Russell Wilson doesn't have batted ball issues due to his height
  5. Drew Brees has played a long career being a pocket passer short of 6' tall because he's had elite OG's in front of him
  6. "What makes Russell Wilson so special?" aside from being one of the most consistently great QB's ever while playing consistently behind garbage OL's his entire career and putting up consistently great stats? Yeah, nothing I guess.
  7. Just because something historically hasn't been done doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. If you want the best for your team, why would you not consult your franchise QB?

That should suffice for now.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This is 100% accurate. He absolutely shares some of the blame with regards to sacks / hits. 

Yup. My uncle in the Seattle area is a life long Seahawks fan who started out feeling that way. It's a bit weird because he now loves Wilson and has zero criticisms of his play (I guess some winning does cure most all things?). But early on, Wilson would run around forever and wind up with 10+ yd sacks and it would drive my uncle nuts. 

Yeah, he doesn't have a fantastic O-line, but his style of play doesn't exactly help. He practically needs the 03-05 Broncos O-line to run around that much. 

He definitely gets sacked a lot, and he definitely gets hit a lot. But he should shoulder some blame and stop acting like a diva. It feels like he's been slowly eroding his overall goodwill for a couple of years now. 

8 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What a weird list. I guess there's a bit of a big market bias/Ciara effect going on here but then how does neither NYC team make the list? Maybe you could chalk that up to concerns about team success/FO but it's not like the Cowboys, Bears, or Raiders have sterling records on that front. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

2 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

What a weird list. I guess there's a bit of a big market bias/Ciara effect going on here but then how does neither NYC team make the list? I guess you could chalk that up to concerns about team success/FO but it's not like the Cowboys, Bears, or Raiders have sterling records on that front. 

Yea Vegas specifically being on it is weird. We aren't close to winning the Super Bowl. Our O line is pretty great and we have weapons, but our D isn't going to do this team any favors for a number of years still.

Maybe he likes Gruden? No state tax? Weird still.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

What a weird list. I guess there's a bit of a big market bias/Ciara effect going on here but then how does neither NYC team make the list? Maybe you could chalk that up to concerns about team success/FO but it's not like the Cowboys, Bears, or Raiders have sterling records on that front. 

My guess(es)

Dallas: Brand/Income Tax with a plethora or weapons at his disposal.

Vegas: Location and lifestyle...I'd bet hard on his wife on that one

New Orleans: Loaded roster

Chicago: Big city, great defense, would be an instant contender with him

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:
  1. Russell Wilson's QB accomplishments despite his surroundings are pretty much bar-none compared to anyone else.
  2. Russell Wilson has never asked for anything until now.
  3. Tom Brady can specifically take less cap hits because he's in a pretty unique situation as a player/person, but let's not forget he never gave NE home town discounts until he was in his 40's, IIRC.
  4. Russell Wilson doesn't have batted ball issues due to his height
  5. Drew Brees has played a long career being a pocket passer short of 6' tall because he's had elite OG's in front of him
  6. "What makes Russell Wilson so special?" aside from being one of the most consistently great QB's ever while playing consistently behind garbage OL's his entire career and putting up consistently great stats? Yeah, nothing I guess.
  7. Just because something historically hasn't been done doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. If you want the best for your team, why would you not consult your franchise QB?

That should suffice for now.

I’ll address a few of these, if I don’t directly talk about it let’s just call it a point I can grant/ don’t care enough to get into 

1: Russell Wilson’s accomplishments despite his surroundings? Winning a super bowl with a hall of of fame defence is something lots of guys have done. Let’s not act like Seattle is some barren wasteland. He has a top 8 coach, always has workhorse running backs, and two number 1 receivers at the moment in Lockett and Metcalf. Russel Wilson has more help around him than the average QB.

3 It’s not the Seahawks fault that Tom Brady has a rich wife and if that’s the point that is presented for why Russell should allotted the same leeway as Brady without adjusting his own personal cap hit, i don’t see that as a valid point. Just because Brady can take less doesn’t mean other multimillionaires are suddenly impoverished and oppressed by the notion taking a lower cap hit. Brady lowers his cap specifically to bring in other guys, his private budget in his married life is irrelevant to cap space discussions of another team and it’s crazy to me this keeps being brought up as some legitimate argument. You want to bring in toys like Brady? Give them your money, like Brady.

5. Brees plays in a scheme that utilizes short crossers and spreading out the field to adjust for his height. He also knows how to play around his physical limitations (which is how he managed to stay productive with no arm strength the last 3 years). The situation isn’t a 1:1 comparison.

7. I don’t think a failure to consult your franchise QB is what is happening. Wilson is saying “my OC and offensive line suck and I don’t like the new guy you brought in and didn’t get complete authority, trade me” that’s Terrell Owens level bad. They consulted him on his OC candidates and he said he didn’t like any of them and demanded a trade. Surface level that’s pretty childish, it’s not like there are that many great OCs out there.

Wilson is being a major diva here, I didn’t realize that was controversial 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think you are underestimating what a top 5 qb and mvp candidate can do for any team. 

We gotta stop calling Russ an MVP candidate. He’s never even received an MVP vote. He’s as much of an MVP candidate as I was for the last presidential election. 

Russ isn’t some victim in my eyes, I’m befuddled at some of these takes. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy