Trade Rumors and Discussion

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Releasing Jackson (which is understandable in a vacuum given his play decline), trading Brown and relying on Incognito to stay healthy at 38 is a really bold gamble by Gruden / Mayock.    I get there may be a bigger endgame here (accumulating picks to go for Wilson next year?), but man, that strategy could get ugly in a hurry.  

The draft class is unusually deep (not just 4 great talents at the top, like 2020's Rd1 class had) - wonder what Brown's value will be.   A year ago, a 1st was an easy ask.   This year's T class and the success of the 2020 draft class, well, it makes it a more interesting prop (and if the return isn't high enough, I get LV would just keep him - they're not forced to do it, probably seeing what's out there price-wise).

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Releasing Jackson (which is understandable in a vacuum given his play decline), trading Brown and relying on Incognito to stay healthy at 38 is a really bold gamble by Gruden / Mayock.    I get there may be a bigger endgame here (accumulating picks to go for Wilson next year?), but man, that strategy could get ugly in a hurry.  

The draft class is unusually deep (not just 4 great talents at the top, like 2020's Rd1 class had) - wonder what Brown's value will be.   A year ago, a 1st was an easy ask.   This year's T class and the success of the 2020 draft class, well, it makes it a more interesting prop (and if the return isn't high enough, I get LV would just keep him - they're not forced to do it, probably seeing what's out there price-wise).

We've always had one of the most expensive OL's and quite frankly everyone has been overpaid except for Hudson. Jackson struggles staying healthy and shouldn't be close to a $10M G. Trent Brown is just the definition of a fat, lazy pos. We'd save another $14 M with little to none dead money if we move on from 77, which I hope we do. Denzelle Good filled in decently at RT for Brown, but when Richie got hurt we had to move him back to G.

In general I am okay with moving on from expensive declining vets on the OL. It hurts the talent for sure but that's a lot of money freed up for replacements + D help.

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

How is it risky? Brown is not going to play more than 10 games. He has no passion for this sport and only attempts to play al 16 during a contract year, and any Niner and Raider fan will tell you that. He has to go.

Just now, BayRaider said:

How is it risky? Brown is not going to play more than 10 games. He has no passion for this sport and only attempts to play al 16 during a contract year, and any Niner and Raider fan will tell you that. He has to go.

Yup dudes lazy and always hurt. I wouldn't trade for him.

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think that is the reason why Patriots were quick to let him walk and collect the compensatory pick without giving him such a big deal after coming off a solid year for them. At this point you push to make a trade and if you dont get any compensation you flat out cut him take the 14 mil and put it to better use. Whoever does trade for him I assume he will have to restructure the remaining deal and he has to agree upon it before the trade can be finalized. Just cant buy in to the fact someone will pay that price tag of 2 years 29 mil. as well as give up a draft pick.

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It's not risky if it was Brown alone - I was referring to replacing 3 spots in 1 year is a dicey prop, if the goal is to contend that year.   I get Incognito is coming back, but at age 38, he's showing the effects - that injury last year (first ankle, then foot), is a classic sign of cascade effect.

Long-term, it's absolutely the right move if the guys aren't worth it.  It's just replacing 1-2 spots is very do-able.   If Incognito isn't able to return to his prior form, though, 3 gets hard.  That's all I'm saying.   Given where LV is at with the need to rebuild the D, I get why Gruden/Mayock would make the gamble.  They've got enough equity to take the 2021 risk of a new unit not gelling, if they get right fiscally, and they invest for the long-term.   

It doesn't sound like Brown's return is going to be that high, though.  So it's more about addition by subtraction, which I also get applies here.   Again, if it was just 1-2 spots, sure.  Just that Incognito is far from a given that he's going to return to prior form for 2021, that's all.

Edited by Broncofan

Teams would not be making the calls/offers on Wilson if they didn’t believe there was an actual chance for a trade. There’s a reason why we have yet to hear reports about GM’s calling Up the chiefs like “so what would you trade Mahomes for?”

7 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Teams would not be making the calls/offers on Wilson if they didn’t believe there was an actual chance for a trade. There’s a reason why we have yet to hear reports about GM’s calling Up the chiefs like “so what would you trade Mahomes for?”

In 2018, there were discussions of trading Wilson to Cleveland for the #1 pick. So this may have been brewing for a whle.

I think its a matter of when, not if, Wilson is traded. I was guessing next year, but if the Seahawks are making calls..

Pretty crazy we could see two top 5 QB's moved (Wilson & Watson) in the same offseason. Unheard of

Edited by 49ersfan

19 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The action words doing all the work in that statement you made though aren't the ones you think are, though.  The words doing all the work are "we don't hear reports."  The reason we don't hear them isn't because they don't happen, it's because 99% of the time that they do happen, they're non-stories.  If a beat reporter on radio show or even local sports segment teases a lead of "____ talked to the Chiefs about the possibility of acquiring Patrick Mahomes," and then they come back from the break to show that the meat of the story is, "Yeah, they called.  And the bigger story was that Andy Reid laughed so hard that mere idea that he damn near swallowed the drumstick bone from his 10-piece bucket of KFC and choked to death," that reporter loses credibility with the audience.

I've had it from multiple reputable reporters that the Rams receive 4-5 calls asking on the availability of Aaron Donald every offseason; there's a reason those don't get talked about - The chances of them materializing into anything are astronomically low, even given Les Snead's penchant for wheeling and dealing.

Honestly, I suspect that the uncertainty around the cap-ceiling (coupled with legitimate suspicion it isn't going to be as high as hoped) is severely starving the media of any threads to run with - much less leads - on big free agent moves, so they're having to spin the fantastical to try and draw clicks from an audience they know are captive moreso than normal, because a lot of people are still stuck home - even if it is working from home.