The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This. Arnett is an outside corner. I don't see him being successful in the slot.

I have read a few articles that project Arnette from the slot to even playing some safety.  He can play on the outside but he played in the slot at Ohio also.  I know we like to play people out of position but at least Arnette has experience in the slot.

59 minutes ago, Totty said:

I believe it's all scheme.  

Agreed. I think it's all scheme also. No reason for players to keep coming here not getting put in positions to succeed and than keep blaming the players. We been rotating players in and out for 3/4 years now, with no real results of improvement. Bring in some real talent on the defensive staff, not some old dudes you was buddies with 10 15 years ago. We brought in one young up and coming coach and Buckner and saw some improvement. Than moved on from him and watch the unit get worse. 

16 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gruden is smart, he has to know the defense is a joke. It’s holding him back from going back to greatness. He has to realize this at the end of the season. 

I’d like to think you’re right. He knew it last year as well though and still did nothing about it.

The only time this defense started showing improvement was under Pagano and Gruden wanted nothing to do with him.  Gruden knows the defense sucks but once again his ego will not allow it to improve that much.  He does not want to win with defense.  It has to be his offense.  He wants the defense to be good enough to not lose games but not able to win games.  That is why Mack and Pagano are gone.  Anything else does not make sense because even the majority of posters on this board can see that Guenther is a problem but protected by Gruden.

15 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Agreed. I think it's all scheme also. No reason for players to keep coming here not getting put in positions to succeed and than keep blaming the players. We been rotating players in and out for 3/4 years now, with no real results of improvement. Bring in some real talent on the defensive staff, not some old dudes you was buddies with 10 15 years ago. We brought in one young up and coming coach and Buckner and saw some improvement. Than moved on from him and watch the unit get worse. 

I don't think scheme is that important to an LB who's 1 on 1 with a TE or all those missed tackles.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don't think scheme is that important to an LB who's 1 on 1 with a TE or all those missed tackles.

He has missed more tackles now than he has almost his whole career. He clearly isnt comfortable in his role and its affecting all parts of his game. I want to see him with another coach. Look at nick. We all agree he been pretty good. But he sacks and tackle for losses are still down. We have our guys playing on their heels instead of attacking downfield. Look at  the defense, 7 or 8 starters are above the league avg for miss tackles. That's crazy. So only 3 people on our defense know how to tackle effectively. No way that ain't got something to do with scheme and coaching. 

On 11/13/2020 at 2:49 PM, dante9876 said:

Yeah. 

If we were breaking bank on top-tier FA's, I would say it could be the "been paid" effect. 

But for the most part, we've targeted tier 2 and 3 pieces who have shown potential, only to see them absolutely suck in silver and black. 

Has to be scheme. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Jacobs may be my fav Raider but sometimes he bugs me. Like today he makes a joke on his IG about not playing to "troll" fantasy owners, ok funny man. But now he screenshot a convo with a Raider fan and is offering people to come fight him. Like grow up dude.

Players are fed up with some "fans". I don't blame them. This social media BS is getting worse by the day.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Gruden is smart, he has to know the defense is a joke. It’s holding him back from going back to greatness. He has to realize this at the end of the season. 

Spent 10 years in the booth, came back and hand picked Guenther.... then traded the only talent he had on that side of the ball. Not what I would call "smart' personally.

Nor was holding onto Guenther well past his expiration date. And we won't even start in on the wasted draft picks in trade and poor talent evaluation. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2020 at 6:04 PM, drfrey13 said:

The only time this defense started showing improvement was under Pagano and Gruden wanted nothing to do with him.  Gruden knows the defense sucks but once again his ego will not allow it to improve that much.  He does not want to win with defense.  It has to be his offense.  He wants the defense to be good enough to not lose games but not able to win games.  That is why Mack and Pagano are gone.  Anything else does not make sense because even the majority of posters on this board can see that Guenther is a problem but protected by Gruden.

Is the bar so low with Raider fans, a slight uptick in performance under Pagano was noteworthy? Keeping in mind the bigger the bigger sin was trading Mack.