The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

*Enter the Raiders vs world/refs/Goodell/etc conspiracy theorists* 

Whilst I don't think there's any type of conspiracy going on I DO think the referees have a preconceived notion going into the games that we are an undisciplined team and a team that has a reputation so they are probably scrutinising us closer than the other team. The Cowboys have a similar issue too I believe hence the Cowboys v Raiders game was a penalty fest. Not because the teams are that much more undisciplined but simply that the refs are looking for penalties and any 50-50s are called rather than let go.

I've experience this myself in sports going from a winning, high level team to a lower level team that's been struggling and you get called for all manner of things the top team gets away with. Exactly the same things get reffed a slightly different way. It happens in all sports to a degree because it's human nature.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Rich made the most sense because he was just going to give Gus total control of the defense and Olson total control of the offense while serving as a macro manager. Rod was 10-38 as a head coach, Gus was 14-48 as a head coach, and Tom Cable was 17-27 as a head coach. There's a reason none of those guys stuck around for very long as head coaches or were ever given a chance to be a head coach again following their failures. If there was one unit on our team that has been consistent the past few years it has been our special teams. 

Rich has been an assistant head coach/special teams coach for multiple NFL teams and high level college programs throughout his career. If you promote Bradley to interim head coach it takes him away from being able to focus solely on the defense. 

Don’t get me wrong. I know why they picked them I’m just responding to someone else’s sentiment that we had multiple former head coaches and they were still a void in leadership

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst I don't think there's any type of conspiracy going on I DO think the referees have a preconceived notion going into the games that we are an undisciplined team and a team that has a reputation so they are probably scrutinising us closer than the other team. The Cowboys have a similar issue too I believe hence the Cowboys v Raiders game was a penalty fest. Not because the teams are that much more undisciplined but simply that the refs are looking for penalties and any 50-50s are called rather than let go.

I've experience this myself in sports going from a winning, high level team to a lower level team that's been struggling and you get called for all manner of things the top team gets away with. Exactly the same things get reffed a slightly different way. It happens in all sports to a degree because it's human nature.

Coaches need to bring in NFL refs, if allowed, during training camp and call the penalties they call during the season. If a player gets called for a penalty, fine the crap out of them, again, if allowed. Repurcussions would most likely work. If the players want to be treated like men and not kids, then they need to pull their head out of their ***** and stop committing stupid penalties or lose what's probably is the most important thing to them, money.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Coaches need to bring in NFL refs, if allowed, during training camp and call the penalties they call during the season. If a player gets called for a penalty, fine the crap out of them, again, if allowed. Repurcussions would most likely work. If the players want to be treated like men and not kids, then they need to pull their head out of their ***** and stop committing stupid penalties or lose what's probably is the most important thing to them, money.

I don't think they're allowed to have that much interaction with referee crews. 

That said, I'm all for either changing that or finding some non-NFL refs to come in. The latter wouldn't be perfect, but it's better than nothing and this is an excellent idea.

15 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I thought they do have a referee or former referee present at camp for guidance, may be wrong though. I also think that most penalties are pretty subjective and part of the game but it's the pre snap and post play penalties that are the ones to come down heavy on. Things like lining up in the neutral zone and taunting, these are so easily avoidable. Be interested to see where we rank on those specifically. That to me would be a sign of ill discipline.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Just checked right now: we have seven games where we scored less than 20 points and five of those games we scored less than 15

Gutting the offensive line to "improve the defense" was such a dumb move. What high priced defensive free agents did we even sign who are making a huge impact outside of Yannick? Hayward got $2.5M, Perryman got $3M, Solly/Jefferson got $3M each.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Gutting the offensive line to "improve the defense" was such a dumb move. What high priced defensive free agents did we even sign who are making a huge impact outside of Yannick? Hayward got $2.5M, Perryman got $3M, Solly/Jefferson got $3M each.

We signed none.  Our top 3 paid defensive players are Cle, Littleton, and Ngakoue.  Combined there are making under $20 million this year.  We have $19 million in injured reserve money and over $33 million in dead cap.  Our active contracts are just over $133 million.  Injuries suck and we have been screwed with players actions and wants.  We already have $15 million of dead cap in 2023 because of restructures.  Management of the cap has been horrible.

• Like 1