The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

we were only a few picks away from Parsons too 😢 imagine Parsons on this defense....would have been so amazing 

We don't blitz though so he'd just be a below average cover LB and good run stopping LB on this team 😁

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We don't blitz though so he'd just be a below average cover LB and good run stopping LB on this team 😁

To be fair, I don't think Bradley is as rigid as some think he is. He plays to his players' strengths. I think we would have involved Parsons as a rusher.

But, we shouldn't lament who we weren't able to take when we have plenty to be upset about regarding who we did take.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

To be fair, I don't think Bradley is as rigid as some think he is. He plays to his players' strengths. I think we would have involved Parsons as a rusher.

But, we shouldn't lament who we weren't able to take when we have plenty to be upset about regarding who we did take.

Yep, I wasn't entirely serious it just seems a bit pointless to say 'we were only a few picks away from XYZ' we just have to make the most of the picks we do have. The Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens, Pats and so on seem to do ok with picking lower in most drafts. There are Pro Bowlers to be had at all rounds in the draft, you just gotta find em 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I wasn't entirely serious it just seems a bit pointless to say 'we were only a few picks away from XYZ' we just have to make the most of the picks we do have. The Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens, Pats and so on seem to do ok with picking lower in most drafts. There are Pro Bowlers to be had at all rounds in the draft, you just gotta find em 😀

there's some cases where a trade up would be wise. fans always try to criticize people for that trade up notion, but some years there are reasons to move up. screw value sometimes, nice to add those studs if it means giving up a 3rd rounder. 

Just now, Jraider91 said:

What relevance does that have to what I wrote? 

He said that if he played for us he'd be a run stopping LB, you replied that most of his pressures have come from pass rushing, not blitzing. He wouldn't have been in a pass rushing role with us and only moved into that role because the Cowboys were decimated with injuries.

Just now, NYRaider said:

He said that if he played for us he'd be a run stopping LB, you replied that most of his pressures have come from pass rushing, not blitzing. He wouldn't have been in a pass rushing role with us and only moved into that role because the Cowboys were decimated with injuries.

Incorrect, he specifically mentioned that we don't blitz so we wouldn't see his pass rushing skills but Dallas don't either. He does it occasionally but they bring him as a stand up edge rusher most of the time he comes for qb. 

3 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Incorrect, he specifically mentioned that we don't blitz so we wouldn't see his pass rushing skills but Dallas don't either. He does it occasionally but they bring him as a stand up edge rusher most of the time he comes for qb. 

He was playing as an off ball LB to start the year. He moved into an edge rushing role because Lawrence and Gregory were injured. Their plan wasn't to use him as an edge guy, they did it because they had no one else.

@Jraider91

After Demarcus Lawrence fractured his foot during a Week 2 practice, Parsons shifted to the edge full time for the next two games -- and excelled in the role, picking up 1.5 sacks, two tackles for loss, and five quarterback hits. 

He shifted to the edge for two more full games, when Randy Gregory joined Lawrence on the sideline.

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was playing as an off ball LB to start the year. He moved into an edge rushing role because Lawrence and Gregory were injured. Their plan wasn't to use him as an edge guy, they did it because they had no one else.

What possible relevance does that have? I am fully aware of possibly one of the most widely covered stories in the NFL. He said we wouldn't known about how good Parsons is as a pass rusher because we don't blitz, neither do Dallas particularly he is a stand up pass rusher. Genuinely no idea what you think you're adding with your input, but as others have mentioned you just seem to enjoy arguing without actually adding anything of substance 

8 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

What possible relevance does that have? I am fully aware of possibly one of the most widely covered stories in the NFL. He said we wouldn't known about how good Parsons is as a pass rusher because we don't blitz, neither do Dallas particularly he is a stand up pass rusher. Genuinely no idea what you think you're adding with your input, but as others have mentioned you just seem to enjoy arguing without actually adding anything of substance 

His argument was that we likely wouldn't have used Parsons the same way that Dallas does. Dallas didn't move him into a stand up pass rushing role until they had too because both of their starting defensive ends got injured. When this season have we used any of our LB's like they've used Parsons? Seattle used KJ Wright in a similar role last year when they had injuries at DE. So unless Crosby and/or Yannick got hurt, if we had Parsons it's unlikely that we would've used him as a stand up pass rusher. He thrived in that role when he was forced to try it out because they had no one else to rush the passer. How can you assume we would've done the same thing when we haven't used any of our LB's including KJ Wright who played in a similar role in the same defense under similar circumstances last season? 

11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

there's some cases where a trade up would be wise. fans always try to criticize people for that trade up notion, but some years there are reasons to move up. screw value sometimes, nice to add those studs if it means giving up a 3rd rounder. 

Oh, I don't disagree. Sometimes it is worth it if there is a specific guy there or an absence of options if we stand pat. A small trade down IMO is usually beneficial but that's assuming someone wants to trade up of course. 

We've been in position to draft great players without moving quite often recently. Our Me v Mayock threads show it. We just have to do better in the big ticket rounds IMO.

• Like 1