The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

On 11/9/2022 at 3:55 AM, NYRaider said:

If they won't trust their jobs to Carr why would they risk them to start Stidham? 

I believe it is doing their jobs evaluating Stidham and the offense. Carr proven to be just a mid mediocre QB. Whether they need to see if Stidham can be a #2 , bridge QB or potential starter, only will know once he gets real reps. Plus it tests the offense as well. It helps with the evaluation of what we need to do next season

On 11/10/2022 at 5:01 AM, bucksavage1 said:

I believe it is doing their jobs evaluating Stidham and the offense. Carr proven to be just a mid mediocre QB. Whether they need to see if Stidham can be a #2 , bridge QB or potential starter, only will know once he gets real reps. Plus it tests the offense as well. It helps with the evaluation of what we need to do next season

Your post was referring to Stidham as the starter going into next season. Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler have been with him for four seasons, I'm sure they know what kind of player he is at this point. Committing to him as your starter next year would be a disaster for JMD. 

How does starting Stidham show what we need to do going into next season, test the offense, or give us some great evaluation about what we need to do this offseason? We need to get Carr more reps in the offense to see what we're going to do with him, Stidham is a dime in a dozen backup QB. 

We already know where the weak points of this team are: zero pass rush outside of Maxx, terrible defensive backs, and a terrible offensive line. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Your post was referring to Stidham as the starter going into next season. Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler have been with him for four seasons, I'm sure they know what kind of player he is at this point. Committing to him as your starter next year would be a disaster for JMD. 

How does starting Stidham show what we need to do going into next season, test the offense, or give us some great evaluation about what we need to do this offseason? We need to get Carr more reps in the offense to see what we're going to do with him, Stidham is a dime in a dozen backup QB. 

We already know where the weak points of this team are: zero pass rush outside of Maxx, terrible defensive backs, and a terrible offensive line. 

Presumably Stidham was brought in because he knows McD offense. If McD believes Carr is not picking it up, one way to get wins would be to bench him. 

But ultimately, I agree with you that I don't think they bench Carr. They know who Stidham is and he has no value beyond clipboard holding. There's probably little to no gain from playing him. And it tells the team we are packing it in for the year if they bench Carr now.

Regardless if we take a QB in the 1st next year, having someone that has potential to step in is a must. Something to start preparing for QB post-Carr the following year.

4 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Presumably Stidham was brought in because he knows McD offense. If McD believes Carr is not picking it up, one way to get wins would be to bench him. 

But ultimately, I agree with you that I don't think they bench Carr. They know who Stidham is and he has no value beyond clipboard holding. There's probably little to no gain from playing him. And it tells the team we are packing it in for the year if they bench Carr now.

Regardless if we take a QB in the 1st next year, having someone that has potential to step in is a must. Something to start preparing for QB post-Carr the following year.

The only reason that Stidham was brought in was he knows the system. But even in New England where he "knew the system" he wasn't able to beat out Cam Newton or Brian Hoyer for playing time. And they ultimately drafted Mac Jones while he was still on the roster. Do you really think that JMD believes that Stidham gives the team a better chance to win games right now?

Benching Carr would be a disaster at this point because you'd piss off one of the only two top tier guys that we have in Adams, would likely divide the locker room even more, and it also probably puts you in a position where you have to move on from him this offseason. I don't see how evaluating a career backup in Stidham is worth dealing with all of that personally. 

The Patriots regularly took swings on QB's in the middle rounds and I'm assuming we'll do the same this offseason. We probably would've drafted one last year but we had limited draft capital due to the Adams trade. 

I think the emphasis for the rest of the season should be to keep the starters out there as much as possible. Hard to a master a system from the bench or to evaluate guys with limited film. And I think that 9 more games of film of Carr in the offense will be more valuable to the team and it's long term decision making process then getting some film on Stidham, lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The only reason that Stidham was brought in was he knows the system. But even in New England where he "knew the system" he wasn't able to beat out Cam Newton or Brian Hoyer for playing time. And they ultimately drafted Mac Jones while he was still on the roster. Do you really think that JMD believes that Stidham gives the team a better chance to win games right now?

Benching Carr would be a disaster at this point because you'd piss off one of the only two top tier guys that we have in Adams, would likely divide the locker room even more, and it also probably puts you in a position where you have to move on from him this offseason. I don't see how evaluating a career backup in Stidham is worth dealing with all of that personally. 

The Patriots regularly took swings on QB's in the middle rounds and I'm assuming we'll do the same this offseason. We probably would've drafted one last year but we had limited draft capital due to the Adams trade. 

I think the emphasis for the rest of the season should be to keep the starters out there as much as possible. Hard to a master a system from the bench or to evaluate guys with limited film. And I think that 9 more games of film of Carr in the offense will be more valuable to the team and it's long term decision making process then getting some film on Stidham, lol.

Not sure if it came across, but I am agreeing with you. But if there were a better backup, or someone with potential, I wouldn't be opposed to Carr "going on IR". Stidham just isn't it. And the whole Adams situation complicates it more. For example, if we hadn't traded for Adams and instead grabbed a QB in the 2nd/3rd rounds perhaps at some point worth giving them a look. But we didn't, so we are with Carr for the year.

Just now, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Not sure if it came across, but I am agreeing with you. But if there were a better backup, or someone with potential, I wouldn't be opposed to Carr "going on IR". Stidham just isn't it. And the whole Adams situation complicates it more. For example, if we hadn't traded for Adams and instead grabbed a QB in the 2nd/3rd rounds perhaps at some point worth giving them a look. But we didn't, so we are with Carr for the year.

If there was a backup QB with the potential to be the starter long term it would definitely be in the range of possibilities for sure. 

At this point though I think it’s more important to see if Carr can improve within the system over the second half of the season.

• Like 1