The Raider Depreciation Thread 📉

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah 2 impact guys on the DL is plenty. Getting pressure with 4 will even make a shaky scheme look good.

I'm greedy I want two impact DL this offseason. Payne in free agency and then either Carter or Anderson. 

Something like Payne/Tomlinson in free agency and then drafting Anderson would be amazing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm greedy I want two impact DL this offseason. Payne in free agency and then either Carter or Anderson. 

Something like Payne/Tomlinson in free agency and then drafting Anderson would be amazing.

I'd be ok with this. my only problem is if we're drafting high enough to get Anderson, we're drafting high enough to get our next QBOTF. We may not get that opportunity again. Getting an elite pass rusher is doable though. At least, more doable than getting the best QB prospect in the draft. 

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

I'd be ok with this. my only problem is if we're drafting high enough to get Anderson, we're drafting high enough to get our next QBOTF. We may not get that opportunity again. Getting an elite pass rusher is doable though. At least, more doable than getting the best QB prospect in the draft. 

But it's also pretty rare that the first QB off the board ends up being the best QB from a class. Most of the time guys that are selected later in the first wind up being better because they're typically going into a better situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Also fair, but unless they are sold that the guy is truly QBOTF you might as well get an elite defensive prospect.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also fair, but unless they are sold that the guy is truly QBOTF you might as well get an elite defensive prospect.

Going back to 2015 the QB's selected in the top 3...

2015: Winston, Mariota

2016: Goff, Wentz

2017: Trubisky 

2018: Mayfield, Darnold

2019: Kyler

2020: Burrow

2021: Lawrence, Wilson 

Outside of Burrow I'd say that almost all of those picks look like meh investments outside of Kyler and potentially Lawrence/Wilson but neither guy has really shown a ton to inspire confidence. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NickButera said:

This is where I'm at. If you have a shot at a top tier QB you have to take it. Those opportunities are rare. 

"We knew once we hit him a few times, he really gets shook," Bosa said. "And you saw on [Christian Covington's] sack, he was pretty much curling into a ball before we even got back there. Great dude, great player ... but we know once you get pressure on him, he kind of shuts down."

Reminds me of this quote from last season.... you see it all the time with him.

Edited by big_palooka

52 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tough to judge without seeing the All-22 view but there appeared to be a sizable lane for him to escape to his right and he instead closed his eyes and braced for the inevitable sack.

Mystifying that he does this 90% of the time but then flashes the ability to escape and/or create off script the other 10% of the time. 

Either way, I’ve seen enough after 9 seasons to know that he’s not going to magically develop pocket presence in year 10. He is what he is…..

On 11/15/2022 at 7:11 AM, true2form said:

If we played the Chiefs every week, I'd be ok with most of the stats and the argument that the defense was keeping the team in most games. 

Goal to go 100%, yikes.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

You only need one criteria to show the defense is keeping the team in the game.  With the exception of 1 loss the  offense has had the ball with a chance to win.

Week 1 - 24-19 with 3:30 left @ LV 21

Week 2 - 23 -23 with 5:30 left in OT @ LV 37

Week 3 - 24 - 10 at half.  Titans held to zero point and 2 TOs in 2nd half.  Titans had the ball for 12 min.

Week 5 - 30 - 29 with 2:29 left @ LV 7

Week 8 - 24 - 20 with 9:56 left.  Jags held to a punt, missed FG, and a made FG after offensive TO in which the D gave up 9 yards before the FG.  Jags average TOP on 3 drives was 2:22 and less than 30 yards.

Week 9 - This one is a little different because they gave up a score late to lose the lead but once again the offense was in a position to still win the game.  25-20 with 5:07 left @ LV 25.

Not saying the defense has played well but they have done enough to give the offense the opportunity to win the game.  At the beginning of the year if I would have told you the offense would have these opportunities and 2 of the other 3 games were wins what would you have said our record would or should be and what would your opinion of the defense be?  

18 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

You only need one criteria to show the defense is keeping the team in the game.  With the exception of 1 loss the  offense has had the ball with a chance to win.

Week 1 - 24-19 with 3:30 left @ LV 21

Week 2 - 23 -23 with 5:30 left in OT @ LV 37

Week 3 - 24 - 10 at half.  Titans held to zero point and 2 TOs in 2nd half.  Titans had the ball for 12 min.

Week 5 - 30 - 29 with 2:29 left @ LV 7

Week 8 - 24 - 20 with 9:56 left.  Jags held to a punt, missed FG, and a made FG after offensive TO in which the D gave up 9 yards before the FG.  Jags average TOP on 3 drives was 2:22 and less than 30 yards.

Week 9 - This one is a little different because they gave up a score late to lose the lead but once again the offense was in a position to still win the game.  25-20 with 5:07 left @ LV 25.

Not saying the defense has played well but they have done enough to give the offense the opportunity to win the game.  At the beginning of the year if I would have told you the offense would have these opportunities and 2 of the other 3 games were wins what would you have said our record would or should be and what would your opinion of the defense be?  

They have kept the score close surprisingly, I can't explain or argue with that. However, I have no faith in them that if the offense had scored after any of those stops, the other team wouldn't have just marched down and won the game. Most of these are straight up blown leads that then we all go, offense please bail us out again!

Week 1 blame goes to Carr. 

Week 2 the defense is completely to blame. You can say the offense slowed down all you want, but the defense doesn't have to give up points just because the offense didn't score.  Ask the Broncos. Blown lead. 20-0

Week 3 Defense spotted them 24 points.  Glad the defense showed up in the 2nd half, but I'm guessing that's more to do with the Titans running out the clock and taking their foot off the gas.

Week 5 Don't know how you can say anything bad about the offense in a game they scored 29 points. Another blown lead. 17-0

Week 8 All that's great 17-0 blown lead

Week 9 Blown lead