Atlanta Falcons vs. Dallas Cowboys game week thread

scar988

The 0-1 Atlanta Falcons take on the 0-1 Dallas Cowboys. Atlanta is going to be trying for their first win of the season against a talented Cowboys squad in Dallas. 

Key Injuries on both sides:

Atlanta

Starting DE Dante Fowler - Ankle Injury - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Full Participation/Thursday: Full Participation/Friday: Full Participation

Starting RG Chris Lindstrom - Thumb Injury - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on report/Thursday: Full Participation/Friday: Full Participation

Starting WR Julio Jones - Hamstring Injury - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Limited Participation/Thursday: Limited Participation/Friday: Limited Participation

Starting LT Jake Matthews - Knee Injury - Projection: Questionable, Will Play

Wednesday: Did Not Practice/Thursday: Limited Participation/Friday: Limited Participation

Rotational DT Marlon Davidson - Knee Injury - Projection: Doubtful, will likely not play

Wednesday: Limited Participation/Thursday: Limited Participation/Friday: Limited Participation

Rotational DT Deadrin Senat - Ankle Injury - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on report/Thursday: Limited Participation/Friday: Limited Participation

Starting CB Kendall Sheffield - Foot Injury - Projection: OUT

Wednesday: Did Not Practice/Thursday: Did Not Practice/Friday: Did Not Practice

Starting C Alex Mack - Old Man - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on report/Thursday: Did Not Practice as his weekly "Old Man Day"/Friday: Not on report

Rotational DE Charles Harris - Ankle Injury - Projection: OUT

Wednesday: Did Not Practice/Thursday: Did Not Practice/Friday: Did Not Practice

Starting LG James Carpenter - Old Man - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on report/Thursday: Not on report/Friday: Did Not Practice as his weekly "Old Man Day"

Starting RB Todd Gurley - Old Man - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on report/Thursday: Not on report/Friday: Did Not Practice as his weekly "Old Man Day"

Atlanta has no one currently on injured reserve

Dallas

Starting CB Jourdan Lewis- Ankle Injury - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Full Participation/Thursday: Full Participation/Friday: Full Participation

Starting WR Amari Cooper - Ankle Injury - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on Report/Thursday: Limited Participation/Friday: Full Participation

Rotational DE Aldon Smith - Tooth - Projection: Will Play

Wednesday: Not on Report/Thursday: Did Not Practice/Friday: Did Not Practice

Starting LT Tyron Smith - Neck Injury - Projection: Questionable, Will not Play

Wednesday: Not on Report/Thursday: Did Not Practice/Friday: Did Not Practice

Injured reserve players for Dallas:

Starting RT La'El Collins

Starting TE Blake Jarwin

Starting WLB Leighton Vander Esch

Starting SLB Sean Lee

Reserve WR Ventell Bryant

Reserve OL Cameron Erving

Reserve OL Mitch Hyatt

Reserve LB Azur Kamara

Refs for this week: Brad Rogers

Network: Fox single game coverage. Atlanta and Dallas markets guaranteed to get it. The rest of the map shown here.

zHlCRXo.jpg

Announcers for the game: Kevin Burkhardt and Darryl Johnston

AMA about the Falcons, Cowboys fans. I'm here to help. Also @GSUeagles14, @FalconFan13, @swoosh, let's get some discussion back in here.

Edited by scar988

I tend to be an optimist to a fault, but I thought week one was encouraging. Run game, offensive line, and pass rush all looked improved. Seattle is tough team and Atlanta would've been in it til the end if it wasn't for a few key plays (i.e. PI on 3rd and forever against Ricardo Allen, fourth and five to DK, and the fumble on the fake punt to name a few). Ryan and company had no issues driving on Seattle, but finishing was an issue. Not much new there, I suppose. Adams was all over the field. 

Unfortunately for us, it doesn't get much easier with Dallas. Another playoff team. Need to find a way to win the turnover battle and do a better job of finishing drives. Good news is we're fully healthy - Gurley too. Rams had success running the football against Dallas. Run early, get out to a lead or keep it close, and continue to run the ball in the second half. Can't fall behind again and abandon the run. Ryan is so much better when pass rushers aren't pinning their ears back. 

Edited by swoosh

42 minutes ago, swoosh said:

I tend to be an optimist to a fault, but I thought week one was encouraging. Run game, offensive line, and pass rush all looked improved. Seattle is tough team and Atlanta would've been in it til the end if it wasn't for a few key plays (i.e. PI on 3rd and forever against Ricardo Allen, fourth and five to DK, and the fumble on the fake punt to name a few). Ryan and company had no issues driving on Seattle, but finishing was an issue. Not much new there, I suppose. Adams was all over the field. 

Unfortunately for us, it doesn't get much easier with Dallas. Another playoff team. Need to find a way to win the turnover battle and do a better job of finishing drives. Good news is we're fully healthy - Gurley too. Rams had success running the football against Dallas. Run early, get out to a lead or keep it close, and continue to run the ball in the second half. Can't fall behind again and abandon the run. Ryan is so much better when pass rushers aren't pinning their ears back. 

The good news is, they don't have anyone like Jamal Adams on that roster. Dude changed the game. Also, I think Quinn will be smarter with his 4th and goes. If he kicks 2 FGs instead of goes for it twice in the red zone, it's a 1 score game near the end. Small changes could have made a big difference.

20 hours ago, swoosh said:

We meet again..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scar988 said:

The good news is, they don't have anyone like Jamal Adams on that roster. Dude changed the game. Also, I think Quinn will be smarter with his 4th and goes. If he kicks 2 FGs instead of goes for it twice in the red zone, it's a 1 score game near the end. Small changes could have made a big difference.

Dallas' D should be pretty bad, although i still worry about their pass rush. seattle got decent pressure and they dont really have any great pass rushers.

Julio and ridley should have big games agaon, and likely one of hurst or gage.

37 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Dallas' D should be pretty bad, although i still worry about their pass rush. seattle got decent pressure and they dont really have any great pass rushers.

Julio and ridley should have big games agaon, and likely one of hurst or gage.

True. I'm more worried about the Falcons defense. This is going to be a rough one for them unless they can start communicating better on the back end. Rico should be starting at FS and Neal should play more of a WLB role than his current role.

15 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Good game guys. Beside us just kind of lingering and hanging around we had no business winning that game.Not sure Quinn should get scorched this. At some point the players need to play the game themselves.

And at some point, the coach needs to learn how to run down the clock and have his team force the opponent waste more time on offense than he did. Almsot every scoring drive y'all had was under 3 minutes. That's unacceptable for an NFL team to continually get walked down that quickly.