What are the Chiefs getting for Alex Smith?

Forge

So I thought that it would be interesting to put this out there. I know that Chiefs fans had a discussion on their forum about it, but given that he's playing pretty well so far this season, there may be a level of interest for him that surprises some people. 

So Schefty has already come out and said that the Chiefs are expected to shop him around after the season is over, and Smith has said that he suspects this to be his  last season in KC. They have major cap issues next season, and obviously they gave up quite a bit to move up and draft Mahomes.

While he's not an "elite" quarterback, and he's not going to be your quarterback of the future at this point (I think he'll be 34 next season), he can probably hang around for at least 2-3 more years at a similar level to what he has been in the past. He won't wow you, but he's largely a "professional" quarterback and said to be a great locker room guy. He's led his team to the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 years (and in fairness to him, it should be 5 of the last 6 - the 49ers were going to the playoffs with him just as they did with Kaep after he got hurt), and he's actually played fairly well in the playoffs - 12/2 td to int, no metrics significantly below his norms. 

There figure to be some suitors this year after the season is done. There could be a few teams moving off their quarterbacks, and a few other teams who's quarterbacks are free agents. At first, I didnt' think that there would be a whole ton of interest in him after the season is over, but I could have honestly said that in 2012 as well and the 49ers still managed two seconds for him. 

Currently, his contract runs only through next year at a 17 million dollar cap hit for whoever trades for him, which isn't bad at all to be quite honest. Is it possible that KC can get a comparable deal for what they gave up to get him and nab 2 second round picks? Any chance that they could get a first rounder, perhaps if they included another piece? I know that people tend to undervalue the amount that teams will give up for a quarterback in a trade (I expect the future "Chiefs trade Alex Smith" thread to be filled with a lot of "massive overpay" comments, similar to what a lot of people prognosticated about last year's free agency period), but I am curious to see what the people at large feel is going to be the return on Smith when he's likely traded this off season. 

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

Jags pls

team immediately becomes a serious contender for the division imo 

They are the most natural fit to me. I mentioned it during the GDT thread that I felt that you see a legit turnaround similar to the one the Chiefs had when they acquired Smith. I'm just curious as to what they would give up. I really think that the Chiefs are going to get at least what they gave up for him after the 2012 season (2 seconds), which is say something given that he makes a lot more, is several years older, etc. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

They are the most natural fit to me. I mentioned it during the GDT thread that I felt that you see a legit turnaround similar to the one the Chiefs had when they acquired Smith. I'm just curious as to what they would give up. I really think that the Chiefs are going to get at least what they gave up for him after the 2012 season (2 seconds), which is say something given that he makes a lot more, is several years older, etc. 

Smith for Bortles straight up iyam

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Could be a good fit in San Fran. 

I think that they get Cousins, or they get someone like Rosen, and then they already have Hoyer as the back up mentor, so I don't think that will happen. 

The league knows what Alex Smith is, the chiefs will be lucky to get more than a 3rd for him. There are stupid teams out there so they could get a first and change.

But there really isn't a team that won't be in a position to draft their QBOTF aside from maybe the Jets but they're not trading for a 34 year old QB so I think his market won't develop and they'll just end up cutting him.

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

The league knows what Alex Smith is, the chiefs will be lucky to get more than a 3rd for him. There are stupid teams out there so they could get a first and change.

But there really isn't a team that won't be in a position to draft their QBOTF aside from maybe the Jets but they're not trading for a 34 year old QB so I think his market won't develop and they'll just end up cutting him.

He's on pace for a pretty damn good year....he'll have value 

I think he's definitely worth a 2nd round pick.  Hard to see a team giving up a 1st for him given his age and the fact that he didn't even go for a 1st earlier in his career, but he's a solid stop gap qb that wins games and can obviously still start for a good number of teams

5 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Interesting. Most 49er fans thought the same in 2012, and I had the same thought as you when I first thought about this. Like, where's the market? But he's playing good football right now, and I Think teams will give value to that.  I don't know that every team that flops will have the chance to get their franchise guy (I mean, how many of those guys are legitimately out there even in this upcoming draft) but trying to figure out the market could certainly be difficult. If you're Arians, and Palmer retires, what do you do? You're likely headed out the door soon, and no other quarterbacks out there would really be an ideal match for you outside of Brees, but you can't bank on a rookie if you're wanting to save your job...would the Cardinals be in that market? What about Washington if Cousins bolts? Jags could immediately upgrade themselves with Smith. So I think that there may be some decent interest, but I'm not sure how much. 

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

He's on pace for a pretty damn good year....he'll have value 

Here's the thing about value, it's all perception. No one in the AFC really needs a QB besides the browns,jets,jaguars. NFC wise only the 49ers,Cards, Giants (if Eli sucks) will be in the market for a QB. 

Almost all of those teams are more than likely going to go after a QB in FA (Bradford,Cousins,Garapollo etc.) or draft one. 

Plus the chiefs are going to be in cap hell and will have an expensive QB they're going to have to keep, most teams will call their bluff.

Archived