What are the Chiefs getting for Alex Smith?

Forge

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting. Most 49er fans thought the same in 2012, and I had the same thought as you when I first thought about this. Like, where's the market? But he's playing good football right now, and I Think teams will give value to that.  I don't know that every team that flops will have the chance to get their franchise guy (I mean, how many of those guys are legitimately out there even in this upcoming draft) but trying to figure out the market could certainly be difficult. If you're Arians, and Palmer retires, what do you do? You're likely headed out the door soon, and no other quarterbacks out there would really be an ideal match for you outside of Brees, but you can't bank on a rookie if you're wanting to save your job...would the Cardinals be in that market? What about Washington if Cousins bolts? Jags could immediately upgrade themselves with Smith. So I think that there may be some decent interest, but I'm not sure how much. 

Washington will franchise Cousins, Jags have Tom Coughlin calling the shots now and I doubt he'd pull the trigger on smith, Cards I could see it but Smith doesn't really Fit Arians "Gunslinger/throw it deep" offense. 

3 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Washington will franchise Cousins, Jags have Tom Coughlin calling the shots now and I doubt he'd pull the trigger on smith, Cards I could see it but Smith doesn't really Fit Arians "Gunslinger/throw it deep" offense. 

I figured Smith is the type of quarterback that Coughlin and Marrone would love to have. I guess it all depends on the cost that they are willing to pay, what else really is available, etc. As you said, Cousins could get tagged...even at 35 million. As bizarre as it sounds, even Jimmy G may not make it to market. Teddy B or Bradford should be available, but while you may prefer Bradford over Smith, it'd be hard to take Bridgewater there given he hasn't played in 2 years (obviously, he could get some time in later this year) if you want to "win now". 

It's really weird, because I could see paths to where the market would be pretty good for Smith, and there are other times, where as I said a couple of posts ago, I have a hard time seeing any real path to a trade partner and a good return. 

Arizona would be a nice fit in terms of a team that has the talent to compete, but Smith isnt a Arians type of QB, so Im not sure Arians would even want him.

Jags wouldnt be bad either, but the Chiefs might not want to trade him in conference to a team that is an efficient QB away from being a contender.    They might do it, but it might cost the Jags more to acquire him than it might take a team like the 49ers.

I dont think the 49ers are an option, and I also think they will hard target Kirk Cousins next offseason.     If the Redskins lose Cousins, they could be an option. 

So, the Cards and Redskins seem the most likely from the NFC.   From the AFC, Jags and Jets look like viable options.    Browns could be too, but I dont think the Chiefs would try to screw over a guy who has helped them as much as Smith has.  

This is something that's going to get really interesting as the season progresses. Smith's performance is genuinely becoming impressive. The sacks continue to be a problem, but the tradeoff for them has been the league's best completion percentage and passer rating, and a YPA that's 3rd in the NFL. Basically he's taking sacks in lieu of throwing contested or less than ideal passes, and it has been oddly beneficial. But if he can even kind of maintain that performance, if he ends the season top 5 in some stats and top 10 in some stats, someone will bite. Someone will believe Alex has legitimately turned the corner (and honestly, who is to say he hasn't?) and will fork over more than we would've expected over the offseason. I would've been very happy with a 3rd before the season. That value is starting to climb quickly now.

But the other interesting angle to this is, what if KC decides not to move on? All signs before the season pointed to us moving on. Smith appeared to be holding a talented roster back. Or at least setting a soft limit on how far we were going to get. He arguably was underperforming his contract. He's aging. Plenty of reasons to move on before. But if this level of play is legit, some of those motivations weaken. We are up against the cap a bit next year (though honestly, we have been every year for awhile now.) But all of our pending free agents are either restricted or low $ value guys. We have a few other money saving moves available (a Hali cut gets us $7M, DJ took a pay cut this year and I wouldn't be shocked to see a repeat, etc.) We're basically projected to be even against next year's cap as is. But we don't have many glaring needs we're looking to fill through free agency either. But if Smith can play like this for a full season, or even almost a full season, it might be worth stretching the cap for another year to give him another go at it.

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Then we're saved. Whew. 

I mean....I get there are hard feeling there and I dont think Smith would do well there with the current roster, but he would still be better than anything the 49ers currently have....easily. :|

11 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Here's the thing about value, it's all perception. No one in the AFC really needs a QB besides the browns,jets,jaguars. NFC wise only the 49ers,Cards, Giants (if Eli sucks) will be in the market for a QB. 

Almost all of those teams are more than likely going to go after a QB in FA (Bradford,Cousins,Garapollo etc.) or draft one. 

Plus the chiefs are going to be in cap hell and will have an expensive QB they're going to have to keep, most teams will call their bluff.

Exactly - which is why it's too early to answer this question. The Chiefs are off to a brilliant start. If they keep it up and Smith wins the Super Bowl (or at least gets there), he  won't have that "good but not good enough" cloud over his head anymore, and his value to other teams will rise.

Thing is, Smith only plays at this level when there's a younger QB breathing down his neck. Look at the start he had in 2012 before he got hurt and Kaepernick took over. He was having a career year up to that point as well. Given that track record, I'm not sure what his trade value actually is. At this stage in his career (he'll be 34 at the start of next season) he's a stopgap for any team that acquires him and it seems like the only way to get him to play up to his full potential is to give him the impression he's playing for his job, which means investing a high draft pick in a QB regardless.

Archived