What are the Chiefs getting for Alex Smith?

Forge

Part of Smith's "value" will obviously depend on how he plays and whether he can sustain this.  Any team acquiring him also has to be aware of the level of surrounding talent and the perfect offensive scheme fit he's doing this under as well.  At least, any smart front office has to be aware of that.

The other part though, is out of the Chiefs control.  It could vary quite a bit depending on what happens with some of the other QB situations around the league and in the draft.  Still lots of time to sort out just how many teams see a potential "franchise QB" within their reach in the draft.  That could change the amount of draft capital we see left floating around on potential offer for an aging guy like Smith.  And what happens with some of the impending FAs will shape the landscape and certain possibilities have the potential to completely shift the QB market outlook.

Without knowing what's happening with guys like Drew Brees, Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Bridgewater/Bradford...it's hard to say who is going to be left without a dance partner at the end of FA.  Which i think probably influences Smith's value, in the sense that certain teams seem more poised to go spendthrift on Alex Smith out of desperation and immediacy of their need for a competent QB.  The Jaguars for instance, appear to be a team that might be more inclined to "overspend" relative to other suitors due to where the rest of their team may be at and where they're at least supposed to be at in their rebuild process.  If they land a different option or go in a completely different direction, that likely puts a dent in the Alex Smith market value.

17 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Here's the thing about value, it's all perception. No one in the AFC really needs a QB besides the browns,jets,jaguars. NFC wise only the 49ers,Cards, Giants (if Eli sucks) will be in the market for a QB. 

Almost all of those teams are more than likely going to go after a QB in FA (Bradford,Cousins,Garapollo etc.) or draft one. 

Plus the chiefs are going to be in cap hell and will have an expensive QB they're going to have to keep, most teams will call their bluff.

You listed a half a dozen teams there.  No one needs a QB except for almost 1/5th of the NFL. 

Two of the three free agent quarterbacks you listed would leave a substitute team in need of a QB.  Bradford could sign somewhere else.  That would leave the Vikings in need of a quarterback.  Cousins to go to the 49ers, but that would leave Washington in need of a quarterback. 

22 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Whatever Minny got for Bradford. There will be some team convinced they can win a Super Bowl with him and not want to wait for a young QB to develop

That was a pretty unique case. Unless Smith gets traded during the preseason to a team that loses its starting QB in camp, I don't see him having that sort of value.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

That was a pretty unique case. Unless Smith gets traded during the preseason to a team that loses its starting QB in camp, I don't see him having that sort of value.

I would agree. I think it'll be a little less. I can easily see two seconds though

17 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

He would be a decent fit while you find the QBOTF. And it would be funny. 

If we want the QBOTF I don't want a decent fit. I want a lackluster starter so the team losses games and can get a higher draft pick. Mediocrity only screws the team over in the long run by keeping players around longer than they should be. That's why Alex stuck around so long in SF. Fortunately, we have Brian Hoyer who is doing a mighty fine job of making his tenure with SF short while also getting the team a top three pick. Thanks buddy!

What can Andy Reid swindle a team for? Andy Reid the coach that convinced the NFL Jay Fiedler and AJ Feeley were future stars. Buyer beware when trading for someone coming out of an Andy Reid System. 

Chiefs will easily get a high second in value for him, although I could also see them content to just keep him another season. They don’t have to deal him. 

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

What can Andy Reid swindle a team for? Andy Reid the coach that convinced the NFL Jay Fiedler and AJ Feeley were future stars. Buyer beware when trading for someone coming out of an Andy Reid System. 

Chiefs will easily get a high second in value for him, although I could also see them content to just keep him another season. They don’t have to deal him. 

Who is going to give a high second for 34 year old Alex Smith without Andy Reid's help?

If he continues playing anything like he is currently I would expect no less than a 2nd.  There should be plenty of suitors willing to give that up for competent QB play.  Jags, 9ers, Broncos, Dolphins or Redskins(if Cousins signs elsewhere) would all make sense.

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He’s exactly what the Jags need.

They can have our 2nd round pick in a heartbeat. 

Give me 3 to 4 years with Smith and let’s ride. He makes us a playoff contender.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Who is going to give a high second for 34 year old Alex Smith without Andy Reid's help?

Well this was.... unfortunate. 

Archived