What are the Chiefs getting for Alex Smith?

Forge

7 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

Mahomes needs to sit 2 years so smith should be going nowhere.

It's more the 20 million dollar price tag, but I'm not to sure about the cap situation @KC_Guy is more knowledgeable than I am on those matters.

Id think we'd try to keep him depending on how well he ends up doing this year

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

It's more the 20 million dollar price tag, but I'm not to sure about the cap situation @KC_Guy is more knowledgeable than I am on those matters.

Cutting Tamba Hali, Spencer Ware, and Charcandrick West would put the Chiefs roughly about $13-ish million under the cap for 2018 (assuming they rollover their unused space they have currently, and a modest cap increase for next season.

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Right now, according to spotrac, you're 8 million over the estimated cap for next year with 40 players under contract, and you lack a few picks, including a first rounder. I think in order to keep Smith, you just have to shed too many players / let too many go in free agency that would rob your roster of quite a bit of talent. Is it worth it to keep Smith, even with a great season, if you have to shed a bunch of talent in order to make it work? 

21 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Cutting Tamba Hali, Spencer Ware, and Charcandrick West would put the Chiefs roughly about $13-ish million under the cap for 2018 (assuming they rollover their unused space they have currently, and a modest cap increase for next season.

Just checked - seems like spotrac and over the cap have about a ten million difference in the estimated cap for next year. That could certainly be a huge factor in deciding what the Chiefs do. 

31 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

So that means cutting those 3 would allow us to keep Smith at his 20 mill price tag? Because that's doable, Derrick Johnson might also retire although I don't know his contract situation. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right now, according to spotrac, you're 8 million over the estimated cap for next year with 40 players under contract, and you lack a few picks, including a first rounder. I think in order to keep Smith, you just have to shed too many players / let too many go in free agency that would rob your roster of quite a bit of talent. Is it worth it to keep Smith, even with a great season, if you have to shed a bunch of talent in order to make it work? 

Lot of factors go into play. Expected cap, how well Alex does and free agency

of The UFAs id like to keep would be: 

Bennie Logan

Albert Wilson 

About it honestly. But there's others out there who hit the market that we may want.

Cutting Tamba/West/Ware gives the Chiefs some working space. Derrick Johnson as well, he's got a bigger cap hit than Tamba, that would really give us breathing room. All these players are older or not necessarily effective on game days.(Sorry DJ & Tamba)

Really if Alex can get the Chiefs far into the playoffs(Playoffs!?!) possibly even a SB do you still cut/trade him? Hes worth a lot on the books, but it'd be worth it I imagine. Even without a 1st round pick.

Just now, Chiefer said:

Really if Alex can get the Chiefs far into the playoffs(Playoffs!?!) possibly even a SB do you still cut/trade him? Hes worth a lot on the books, but it'd be worth it I imagine. 

No. That's a coach / GM out-smarting himself. Especially if much of your offense will remain intact.

3 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

So youre saying you wouldn't trade him correct? 

I mean, it depends on the compensation and whether he not he maintains his current level of play. Two 2nds? I'd rather roll with Smith for another year and keep the offense intact. Mahomes isn't going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I mean, it depends on the compensation and whether he not he maintains his current level of play. Two 2nds? I'd rather roll with Smith for another year and keep the offense intact. Mahomes isn't going anywhere.

Just hypothesizing but How about a Jacksonville 1st?

14 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Just hypothesizing but How about a Jacksonville 1st?

So much of it depends on how this year goes. I don't think you make that deal if you make it to the AFC Championship game. There's also a huge variable that we as fans have no knowledge of: how is Mahomes progressing during practice and in the film room? That is a massive part of the internal debate and we can really only make guesses.

If the Chiefs have some cap room this year, they could ask him to restructure and give him an immediate roster bonus to count against the 2017 cap.  Roster bonuses aren't amortized like signing bonuses are and they could lump it all into this year without changing the base structure of his current contract.  I don't think they would want to, but they could also convert some future salary to a signing bonus and push the cap hit into '19, but that would make it tough after 2018.

Wouldn't that be wild if he led the Chiefs to a SB victory and then got traded.  I watched him (Bay Area guy - half Niners/half Raiders fan - lived in both cities at various points) in his first several seasons shaking my head.  And we could have had Cal standout Rogers was the mantra.  Somehow he put it together.  I suspect the Niners would have to offer him a pile of cash after dumping him.  But who knows, maybe he likes the city.

I'd say 2nd round pick at least.  He could move a weak team up several notches.

Archived