GDT 9/20/20 Week 2: 1-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-1 Houston Texans

DreamKid

Going through the game again, random notes for the first half:

Bradley Bozeman is our best offensive linemen after two games. I would not have thought of that. Several critical blocks, especially on pulls. Hold his ground in the passing game.

Queen and Harrison plays too passive on "read" plays. Much better when they are told to blitz/blow up a blocker. Harrison has a play where he follows a blocker for Watson on an outside run, but never go through the blocker who turns his back. Then he end up getting blocked and Watson gets extra yards. Had he been aggressive and went through the blocker, it would have been tackle for loss.

Our blocking on kickoff returns is not good. Saw several guys in the middle never square up gunners but trying to "shield" them. Saw Board do it twice. He did however have a nice tackle on kickoff though

I don't think Justin Ellis does much. I see him get stonewalled on pass plays, doesn't hold his ground that well in the run game. A little surprised he got more snaps than Washington in this game

On the sack on Lamar Jackson with 2 minutes left of the second quarter, I think we can put a little blame on Lamar for that one. Zeus only hold Watt away for 2 seconds, but he guides him around the arc creating a huge hole to the right for Lamar to scramble through. Stanley was beat on this play as well. Push all the way into Lamar which might have forced him to move back into Watt

Dobbins does not look good in pass pro, too undecisive

Chuck Clark formtackles, I love it

Gotta give credit to Judon, he beats the right tackle with 33 to go in the 2. quarter, doesn't make the sack though. Bowser comes from the other side and beats a double team, Queen on a loop, I think it is, takes advantage of the space created by Bowser. This was the play with the bogus penalty on Averett

• Like 2

3 hours ago, berlin calling said:

so you love coaches throwing players under the bus for not replacing an all pro adequately?

I don’t think this is a fair equation. It’s not, “throw Averett under the bus” or “gas Averett up.”

Coach speak also extends to the idea of criticizing a player while simultaneously seeming to compliment him. Saying things like, “I think Averett worked hard out there. I’m sure there are a few plays he wish he could’ve had back, but he’s practiced very well and he’s done well for us on special teams, he’s got a great opportunity to show his development now and we’re excited to see what he can do. I’m happy for him.”

Basically saying the same thing... only acknowledging there were concerning aspects. It’s not throwing Averett under the bus, but it’s also not gassing him up and presenting his play as how one might describe Marlon Humphrey out there.

So along with the notion that Harbaugh actively made similar statements regarding Tony Jefferson for years before injury eventually forced us into rolling with Chuck Clark, the far superior player, and other secondary players in the past and while you hope this is just coach speech, there is an element to this that can’t be simply looked past. Harbaugh can be loyal to a fault, he’s shown it. So even if EDC can somehow find a way to add another talented corner to man the nickel or something, with comments like this, it does make one have to pause and wonder if Harbaugh would provide said player a chance to overtake Averett.

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Seems just a taaaaaaaaaad bit slower to me so far this year 

Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t me. He didn’t seem to have that extra gear he was hitting last year. Hopefully it can come back sometime during the year.

• Like 1

Yeah I mentioned it in the game day thread. I was pretty sure I noticed a speed decrease in the first game against the Browns but I wanted to give it another game before saying it out loud.

He’s definitely slower. He looks to be at about the same speed as his rookie season. Which is slower than he’s looked as a college junior and his MVP season.

I’m thinking it has more to do with the offseason. He probably was focusing less on speed and more on drilling his footwork/passing fundamentals.

So I’m thinking either he couldn’t train his speed as rigorously because of COVID-19, he wasn’t focused on training his speed as much because he was focused on his footwork, or... he’s pacing himself. Perhaps he felt he burnt out some by the end of last season and thus isn’t pushing himself as hard? Who knows, but he’s definitely slower.