Big Ten set to reveal plan to return to football

naptownskinsfan

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Considering this season doesn't matter I'd be fine with if we just got Michigan and Sparty. Higher quality games and less travel than making Rutgers fly from NYC.

This is absolutely where I am too. I'd rather OSU got a good crossover game...I'd love to get Wisconsin or Minnesota with the physical Wisconsin factor and the PJ Fleck factor instead of someone else. Even Iowa would be welcome over some other options.

Notre Dame VS. Ohio State in the CFP title game would be a real feel-good story for the whole nation. Though the South consistently has the best teams every year, the majority of the American population (62 percent as of last estimate) lives on the other side of the Mason-Dixon Line. And a vast majority of non-Southerners want to see more non-Southern teams win the national title. Besides, Clemson is due for a regression.

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Notre Dame VS. Ohio State in the CFP title game would be a real feel-good story for the whole nation. Though the South consistently has the best teams every year, the majority of the American population (62 percent as of last estimate) lives on the other side of the Mason-Dixon Line. And a vast majority of non-Southerners want to see more non-Southern teams win the national title. Besides, Clemson is due for a regression.

As a buckeyes fan, I am with you. I'd love to see ND v tOSU or OU v tOSU (we owe them from planting a flag on our O at the 50). Clemson and Bama are the big problems there. They have proved season after season that they deserve to be there by beating teams from up north. It sucks but I have to say "get better?" for it to happen. 

That is all

MC

I did some research, and I found that 48 of the last 70 national titles (all in the two-poll era that began in 1950) have been won at least in part by a team from the South - 9 split titles (all of them with a non-Southern team) and 39 outright.

The longest period in which a Southern team failed to win a national title is three years from 1966-68: the titles were won in those years by Notre Dame, USC and Ohio State.

There were only four other instances in which the South failed to claim the national title in back-to-back years:

1959-60 (Syracuse followed by Minnesota)
1971-72 (Nebraska followed by USC)
1976-77 (Pittsburgh followed by Notre Dame)
1994-95 (Nebraska both years)

The Bowl Alliance (1995-97) is the only system in place any time from 1992 in which the majority of the titles were won by non-Southern teams, the 1995 and 1997 BA titles were both won by Nebraska (now-conference rival Michigan won the AP title the latter year).

Meanwhile, the only school to officially win a BCS or CFP title that was not in the South is Ohio State, winning the BCS in 2002 and the first CFP in 2014 - the only season since 1992 which had no Southern teams in the title game.

USC won the 2004 BCS title on the field, but they had to vacate it because it was revealed years later that Reggie Bush was ineligible.

So, we need more Northern (and even Western/Pac-12, though I'd like the Big 12 to add Boise State and BYU) teams to win national titles. The Big Ten would play a huge role in this happening.

If the CFP were willing to stage title games in outdoor stadiums in cold-weather cities, it would help any Northern teams that advance to such title games since they'd be more used to cold weather.

I'm heavily in favor of Cleveland hosting a game. First Energy Stadium is the oldest NFL stadium to have never hosted an NFL playoff game in any form, and we have Art Modell to thank for that. It has never seen postseason football at the college level either. I mean it is a good stadium, I have been there a few times, but so many venues which are newer have already seen postseason NFL games. In the current most extreme instance, it took only 2 seasons for US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis to host its first NFL playoff game, and it got to do so before staging the Super Bowl there even (which was to be in that very season). And that game had a very memorable ending which I witnessed on TV.

As it stands, 4 of the 6 CFP title games have been staged in venues newer than First Energy Stadium. Three more such venues are scheduled to host the CFP title game by the end of the 10th season of the CFP format.

If by the 2024 season the Browns have not hosted a playoff game yet, the CFP title game should be played there that year. In fact regardless of that, it should be held there. The city needs it.

42 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Not a goddamn chance

• Like 2