VanS

What rookies do you think you have already missed on after Week 1?

On 9/21/2020 at 6:04 PM, Abe56 said:

Mekhi Becton.  Had him as the 5th OT, but has easily looked like the best of the group so far

This was my biggest one. Almost everyone said he was raw so it'd take time for him to be good but I didn't think he'd ever reach that potential. Wasn't a fan at all. However he's proven me and his supporters wrong by coming out the gate looking strong.

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Just curious, how so? Outside of the (amazing) 84 yard TD, I don't think he's done much else has he?

He also had an absurd toe tapper against the Giants. He's got three good WRs ahead of him so as a rookie he's default the 4th option but he's made some big, noticeable plays already. As with all of this it's too early to say anything definitive but he's looked good so far.

• Like 1

So far, definitely Becton. He has looked extremely polished and impressive, and I thought he was going to underwhelm. We'll still see how he lasts from a longevity perspective with that build, but looking that dominant against Bosa shocked me. 

-Going back and looking at those Pre-Draft critiques on Becton is going to be glorious

-Also @VanS, whats your take on your boy Chase Young this far?

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-Also @VanS, whats your take on your boy Chase Young this far?

I haven't watched him play for an entire game but I did catch stretches of the Cardinals game.  He looked as I expected.  Not that explosive.  Not that strong.  Not that fluid.  I know he's racked up stats thus far but I haven't seen anything to make me think I'm wrong.

Jerry Jeudy didn't look as I expected.  That's why I made this thread.  What I don't do is fall for short sample size statistics.  For example, before the 2018 draft I said Baker Mayfield was the most likely bust of the 1st round QBs.  I watched him as a rookie and was still unimpressed despite the decent numbers he put.  Over time his stats have regressed to where I viewed his talent level to be which is a below average NFL QB.

I don't see Chase Young as an elite NFL player.  He looks like a mediocre NFL DE.  I expect over time his production will regress to that level.  

Edited by VanS

Becton was my OT1 and there's no way I even saw this level of play coming.

Makes me feel better that CJs had a strong start/Cam Robinson is playing well thus far...

1 hour ago, VanS said:

I haven't watched him play for an entire game but I did catch stretches of the Cardinals game.  He looked as I expected.  Not that explosive.  Not that strong.  Not that fluid.  I know he's racked up stats thus far but I haven't seen anything to make me think I'm wrong.

Jerry Jeudy didn't look as I expected.  That's why I made this thread.  What I don't do is fall for short sample size statistics.  For example, before the 2018 draft I said Baker Mayfield was the most likely bust of the 1st round QBs.  I watched him as a rookie and was still unimpressed despite the decent numbers he put.  Over time his stats have regressed to where I viewed his talent level to be which is a below average NFL QB.

I don't see Chase Young as an elite NFL player.  He looks like a mediocre NFL DE.  I expect over time his production will regress to that level.  

This is a joke, you need your eyes checked

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rackcs said:

This is a joke, you need your eyes checked

We'll see.  If I am wrong then he should be a perennial All-Pro/Pro-Bowl caliber player.  If I am right then he'll be an average to above average NFL starter who plays for multiple teams throughout a rather unremarkable career. 

Edited by VanS

4 hours ago, VanS said:

We'll see.  If I am wrong then he should be a perennial All-Pro/Pro-Bowl caliber player.  If I am right then he'll be an average to above average NFL starter who plays for multiple teams throughout a rather unremarkable career. 

This isn't even about results of his career or anything like that. I don't think you've watched Young's two games so far if you think he hasn't played strong, explosive, or fluid. That's just flat out wrong.

15 hours ago, VanS said:

The gift that keeps on giving.....

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

This isn't even about results of his career or anything like that. I don't think you've watched Young's two games so far if you think he hasn't played strong, explosive, or fluid. That's just flat out wrong.

I had the same views about him in college while everyone else fawned over him.  And yes the results will tell us who is right.  If he's as good as the hype then he should be a perennial star.  If he's rarely making Pro Bowls and is not among the highest paid at his position after his rookie deal then he will not be as good as the hype.

For the record I had similar views of Leonard Williams before the 2015 draft.  If you remember, he was touted as the safest/best player in that draft.  He had tons of hype to the point that when he fell to the Jets it was considered a surprise.  I watched him in college like I did Chase Young and saw an unremarkable player/prospect.  I didn't think Leonard Williams would be a star in the NFL.  5-6 years into his NFL career and he's been very average with unremarkable results.  If Chase Young has a similar career then I believe most will say he was not as good as his pre-draft hype. 

I think of Chase Young like I did Leonard Williams.  Very average player/prospect who I never understood what others saw in him. 

Edited by VanS

Just now, VanS said:

I have seen enough.  Had the same views about him in college while everyone else fawned over him.  And yes the results will tell us who is right.  If he's as good as the hype then he should be a perennial star.  If he's rarely making Pro Bowls and is not among the highest paid at his position after his rookie deal then he will not be as good as the hype.

For the record I had similar views of Leonard Williams before the 2015 draft.  If you remember, he was touted as the safest/best player in that draft.  When he fell to the Jets it was considered a surprise.  I watched his college tape and saw an unremarkable player.  I thought he would not he a star in the NFL but rather an average player.  5-6 years into his NFL career and he's been very average with unremarkable results.  

I think of Chase Young like I did Leonard Williams.  Very average player/prospect whose I never understood what others saw in him. 

This isn't about projections. I'm saying that if you watch Young and don't see a strong, explosive, or fluid player then you either are lying about watching or you don't know what you're talking about. It's that simple. I'm going to straight up accuse you of not watching the college tape either because Young was constantly getting through the line and putting pressure in the backfield even when the stats didn't reflect it. And even now when he's dominating NFL players you're still holding on to your bad takes? Ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, rackcs said:

This isn't about projections. I'm saying that if you watch Young and don't see a strong, explosive, or fluid player then you either are lying about watching or you don't know what you're talking about. It's that simple. I'm going to straight up accuse you of not watching the college tape either because Young was constantly getting through the line and putting pressure in the backfield even when the stats didn't reflect it. And even now when he's dominating NFL players you're still holding on to your bad takes? Ridiculous.

I watched stretches of the Cardinals game on RedZone.  He was getting stonewalled play after play by the Cardinals tackles.  I saw nothing that impressed me.  I even caught his "sack" which came on a play where Kyler was trying to scramble back to the line of scrimmage after someone else applied pressure.  Several Redskins players fell on/near Kyler and Chase Young just happened to be awarded the sack.  It was one of those lucky sacks a defender gets where others do the work and the QB just falls near them.

Once again I saw the same things in college.  I also had the same views.  Just because everyone else fawns over Chase Young doesn't make it true that he's actually a great player.  You have to prove your greatness with results.  If he's as good as you and most people claim, then he should have a career better than Leonard Williams (for example).  

Edited by VanS

1 minute ago, VanS said:

I watched stretches of the Cardinals game on RedZone.  He was getting stonewalled play after play by the Cardinals tackles.  I saw nothing that impressed me.  I even caught his "sack" which came on a broken play where Kyler was trying to scramble back to the line of scrimmage.  Several Redskins players fell on/near him and they awarded the sack to Chase Young.

Once again I saw the same things in college.  I also had the same views.  Just because everyone else fawns over Chase Young doesn't make it true that he's actually a great player.  You have to prove your greatness with results.  If he's as good as you and most people claim, then he should have a career better than Leonard Williams (for example).  

The bold is absolutely false. You're basing your ideas about a player on a few plays on RedZone, that's an absolute joke. And again, Chase Young could be a complete washout but to say that he isn't explosive or strong or fluid is factually wrong and frankly a ridiculous thing to say.

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

100%. Dude has lived up to the hype so far. What a terrible take "seeing a couple of plays on Redzone"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

but to say that he isn't explosive or strong or fluid is factually wrong and frankly a ridiculous thing to say.

He didn't compete at the combine so how is it "factually wrong"?  All we have on Chase Young when it comes to verified athletic testing comes from his time in high school when he competed at Nike's The Opening.  Here are the numbers he put up:  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/212159/chase-young

4.94 40 yard dash and 30.3" vertical leap at 226 lbs.  

Those numbers don't scream out "explosive".  And FTR I said during the combine it didn't surprise me that he chose to not compete because I suspect he didn't improve that much on these numbers during his time in college.  So rather than damage his draft stock which was built on the idea that he was an elite Myles Garrett level athlete, Chase Young and his handlers decided against doing the athletic testing at the combine. 

Edited by VanS