How Are Those Rookies Doing?

notthatbluestuff

Colts 

RB Jonathan Taylor looks electric with the ball in his hand and, contrary to preseason reports, looks like a fully capable receiver. Excited to see him as the lead rusher going forward. 

WR Michael Pittman didn't get a lot of action, only targeted twice. Still, he was on the field for more than 50% of snaps. 

S Julian Blackmon was ruled out with an injury.

OL Danny Pinter came on as a sixth lineman for 5 plays.

Defensive rookie contributions were all made on special teams. 

K Rodrigo Blankenship made four of five kicks, missed from 30 yards. 

Titans

OT Isaiah Wilson: Out of shape, gotten in trouble multiple times, including a DUI in Nashville where he was doing doughnuts at an intersection near downtown.  On his way to Pacman status.

CB Kristian Fulton: Forced into the lineup early with Adoree Jackson injured.  Played OK, had four tackles, but got juked by Jerry Juedy badly.  Allowed both of the targets toward him, but two total targets ain't bad.

RB Darrynton Evans: Injured in game one, but has been lauded in camp.

DT Larrell Murchison: Didn't play in the opener.

QB Cole McDonald: Already off the team.  Late round QBs are clearly not Robinson's specialty.

CB/S Chris Jackson: Forced to play game one, and despite a very bad PFF grade, played very well for a seventh round rookie out of a small school.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

You got a few productive moments out of Zach Mettenberger, right? Wasn't that a Robinson special?

That was his predecessor, Ruston Webster, the worst GM in Titans history.  But hey, you make enough picks, you get one or two right.  Plus it's not like Mettenberger stuck around long anyway.

Robinson has only taken Luke Falk and McDonald so far, neither of whom made the team.

• Like 2

Andrew Thomas was the lone bright spot on an otherwise abysmal OL performance. He more than held his own against Bud Dupree. Did well in both the run and pass game. Very surprising. I think he allowed 2 or 3 pressures total and that was it. Great debut.

Darnay Holmes had a missed tackle, but was aggressive and successful and in on a ton of tackles otherwise. Was the victim of a couple rub routes that Pitt ran that confused the whole secondary, but I won't fault him much for that.

Carter Coughlin got a few snaps on special teams. That's it.

1. LB Jordyn Brooks - Saw about 7 snaps on defense, had one tackle. 

2. DE Darrell Taylor - [PUP]

3. G Damien Lewis - Started at RG, played every snap. Had 3 penalties and got his lunch money taken by Jarrett on a few occasions. But overall, looking like a good fit there.

4. TE Colby Parkinson - [PUP]

4. RB Deejay Dallas -  healthy scratch

5. DE Alton Robinson - healthy scratch

6. WR Freddie Swan - 1 catch for 17 yards, and a fumble recovery on special teams. Should be in the mix for 5th WR snaps moving forward.

7. TE Stephen Sullivan - Practice Squad

Jaguars are full of rookies and beat the Colts week 1, so as you can imagine some guys stepped up:

CJ Hendo- About as good of a game as you can have. Physical/tackled well in the open field, multiple PBUs, first interception of his career. Great start.

Chaisson - Pretty ehhh game for him. Had an interception called back on an bad call that wasn't close to the play. Instincts and athleticism on display but not much pass rush.

Viska - Very productive, and holy hell is this guy going to be fun. Gruden had him lineup in wildcat, ran out of the backfield once, had him in motion all over the field. Opened up things for others, especially on that Chark TD. Only rookie receiver to have a TD week one.

Davon Hamilton - Didn't get a ton of run in the first half, but made his presence known in the 2nd. Massive human being and had a couple nice run stops. Tossed Ryan Kelly aside on one play. This was one of my favorite picks early on, and he needs to work on his pass rush, but I like what I saw in the run game which is needed on this team.

Collin Johnson- Unfortunately our WR group is deep so didn't get a ton of run, but I expect him to get a chance soon. Had one key third down grab.

James Robinson - Not a burner but when holes were opened, he hit then with good acceleration. Did well in pass pro. Had that highlight of him jumping over two defenders on the catch he took 20-25 yards. Good start.

Chris Claybrooks - Primarily just a kick/punt returner but due to injuries got thrown out there at corner. Held his own and kept things in front of him.

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Andrew Thomas was the lone bright spot on an otherwise abysmal OL performance. He more than held his own against Bud Dupree. Did well in both the run and pass game. Very surprising. I think he allowed 2 or 3 pressures total and that was it. Great debut.

Are you sure? I remember seeing a figure during the 4th quarter that had Dupree at about 7 pressures, with Watt at about the same.

Burrow- You could see growth from the first quarter to the final drive. Had to deal with a horrible right sided OL going against Bosa, made some good plays with his feet, needs to hit some deep passes that he left on the field. Shows good vision and bounces back after mistakes. That final drive was a thing of beauty. Should have won his first game. 

Higgins- Didn’t contribute much, but as the season progresses I could see him being a weapon in the redzone. 

Wilson/Davis-Gaither- Both linebackers played very well, showed great speed and tackling. The future looks bright at LB

Kareem- Didn’t notice him much, rotational player

Adeniji- OL Coach is high on him, but apparently not too high as Bobby Hart still somehow is starting

Bailey- Inactive first game 

Raiders after week one:

1. Ruggs - Looked super explosive. I really liked how we were utilizing him with different routes, screens and reverses. Caught one bomb and a few smaller ones before getting dinged up, where we seemingly used him as a decoy in the second half.
  2. Arnette - Had a PBU and was decent in coverage, but did bite hard on a double move from Anderson and allowed a 75 yard TD. Also bounced off McCaffrey by not wrapping up but he is playing with a broken thumb/cast.
  3. Bowden Jr. - LOL
  4. Byran Edwards - There was so much hype around him and with Tyrell Williams lost for the season, most thought Edwards was going to be heavily involved in the passing game. Ended up only having 1 catch for 9 yards. I expect his role to get bigger each week.
  5. Tanner Muse - On IR.
  6. John Simpson - Backup G. Didn't play.
  7. Amik Robertson - Don't actually recall his name once. He's a backup to Joyner (who kinda sucks) so could press for PT later in the year.
  • Like 2