Week 2- Lions (0-1) @ Packers (1-0)

Louis Friend

I can hardly imagine Matt Patricia making it through the end of the season and looking at the rest of the schedule I only see losses. So the question becomes when does it happen as opposed to when. This will also severely test Bob Quinn, for obvious reasons. In the end they both should be gone imo.

If ownership decides to fire Patricia early I would bet Bevell gets the opportunity to show what he can do. This will also bring some continuity and hopefully allow the young players to still develop. Not sure he is the right fit exactly but he might legitimately be the best choice to take over permanently.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Typical_Lions said:

I can hardly imagine Matt Patricia making it through the end of the season and looking at the rest of the schedule I only see losses. So the question becomes when does it happen as opposed to when. This will also severely test Bob Quinn, for obvious reasons. In the end they both should be gone imo.

If ownership decides to fire Patricia early I would bet Bevell gets the opportunity to show what he can do. This will also bring some continuity and hopefully allow the young players to still develop. Not sure he is the right fit exactly but he might legitimately be the best choice to take over permanently.

I was thinking this very thing while watching the game. Fire Matty P and put Bevell in.  Might be the only way BQ can save his job.

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I was thinking this very thing while watching the game. Fire Matty P and put Bevell in.  Might be the only way BQ can save his job.

I want Quinn gone more than Matty P, but want them both gone.  Quinn has had Long enough to put a defense together and we ignore important positions.  The pass rush has been neglected.  His LB selections have been awful.  He traded our best CB for scraps. And he has no depth at S with questionable starters.  I would be highly disappointed if he is still here next year. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Michael1976 said:

Sigh......

But remember that play, 5 years ago, when Patricia, who was working for New England, made Seattle throw it from the 1 instead of handing it off and remember when Patricia made Malcom Butler pick off the throw Patricia made Wilson throw?

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I want Quinn gone more than Matty P, but want them both gone.  Quinn has had Long enough to put a defense together and we ignore important positions.  The pass rush has been neglected.  His LB selections have been awful.  He traded our best CB for scraps. And he has no depth at S with questionable starters.  I would be highly disappointed if he is still here next year. 

As do I, I was speaking more in terms of if I was BQ, I now need to show it is the coaching and not the team I built.

I never wanted these guys, I had a wait and see approach and now I'm done with them.  This team gets significantly worse each and every year.  They are continually injured. At some point, you have to wonder if the injuries are due to these grueling practices they supposedly run.

I wasn't able to watch the game this weekend but it probably was the best thing that could have happened. 

The way that I was approaching this season is that "the past is in the past, they have built the team that they wanted to be/have had the time to implement the things they wanted to implement". Clean slate and the like. I am willing to give a new staff, whether it's Patricia/Quinn or the next regime, the time to implement their plans. They've bought the groceries and made the meal. Now we're seeing what kind of skills they have in the kitchen. If only Gordon Ramsay could do his thing against Patricia. 

If we were sitting at 2-0 because we had dominated the Bears and won a game that we should have won plus upset the Packers, we would all be singing a different tune. None of that has happened, we're sitting at 0-2 and there isn't a whole lot to hold onto for hope and optimism. I can't see a scenario where we beat the Cardinals or the Saints. We are likely going into the bye at 0-4.

I was just listening to the POD cast and they brought up something that was interesting: Is Bob Quinn a bad drafter or is Matt Patricia a bad developer of players? Both things can be true but I would place more of that on Patricia because he would/should have some say on the draft plan and the selection of players. Once the players are on the roster it is his job to then develop their talent. 

If we do go 0-4, Quinn should fire Patricia on the Monday morning after the Saints game. The new coaching staff should be given the bye week to prepare for the Jaguars. Use the next few weeks as an evaluation period and begin moving pieces up until the trade deadline to help the future rebuild. With all of the injuries going on in the league there will be a number of teams in need of healthy bodies.

• Like 2