Week 2- Lions (0-1) @ Packers (1-0)

Louis Friend

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I wasn't able to watch the game this weekend but it probably was the best thing that could have happened. 

The way that I was approaching this season is that "the past is in the past, they have built the team that they wanted to be/have had the time to implement the things they wanted to implement". Clean slate and the like. I am willing to give a new staff, whether it's Patricia/Quinn or the next regime, the time to implement their plans. They've bought the groceries and made the meal. Now we're seeing what kind of skills they have in the kitchen. If only Gordon Ramsay could do his thing against Patricia. 

If we were sitting at 2-0 because we had dominated the Bears and won a game that we should have won plus upset the Packers, we would all be singing a different tune. None of that has happened, we're sitting at 0-2 and there isn't a whole lot to hold onto for hope and optimism. I can't see a scenario where we beat the Cardinals or the Saints. We are likely going into the bye at 0-4.

I was just listening to the POD cast and they brought up something that was interesting: Is Bob Quinn a bad drafter or is Matt Patricia a bad developer of players? Both things can be true but I would place more of that on Patricia because he would/should have some say on the draft plan and the selection of players. Once the players are on the roster it is his job to then develop their talent. 

If we do go 0-4, Quinn should fire Patricia on the Monday morning after the Saints game. The new coaching staff should be given the bye week to prepare for the Jaguars. Use the next few weeks as an evaluation period and begin moving pieces up until the trade deadline to help the future rebuild. With all of the injuries going on in the league there will be a number of teams in need of healthy bodies.

I'm pretty much with you on this.  I've said I'd give them 5 years, but year 3 is where I'm going to start looking for progress.  We are a long ways from being good and we are getting worse, not better.  There is a very real possibility we could be playing for Trevor Lawrence.  The issue I have now, is not when to fire MP, but what to do with Stafford.  Do you trade him for draft picks? If so, what if BQ doesn't get fired and we trade Stafford? For me, that would be about worse case scenario.

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'm pretty much with you on this.  I've said I'd give them 5 years, but year 3 is where I'm going to start looking for progress.  We are a long ways from being good and we are getting worse, not better.  There is a very real possibility we could be playing for Trevor Lawrence.  The issue I have now, is not when to fire MP, but what to do with Stafford.  Do you trade him for draft picks? If so, what if BQ doesn't get fired and we trade Stafford? For me, that would be about worse case scenario.

I think Stafford should be traded by week 7 if this whole thing is going to implode. It seems to be on that track with nothing telling us otherwise. I want to see Stafford go somewhere where he has a better chance at being successful. With this in mind, I really don't know if this is a better situation for Stafford but it is what it is. 

Cleveland Browns... yes.. the same Browns who have been awful for many many years. By this time, the Browns will know what they have in Mayfield. They have the cap space to absorb Stafford's contract. There is a lot of talent in OBJ, Landry, Hunt, Chubb and the defense has several pieces like Garrett and Ward. It's a tough division and it might even be tougher than the NFC North. Still, it could be a fit. Washington and Denver are the two other potential trade destinations IMO. If Drew Lock is out for any lengthy period of time, it is certainly a possibility that they want to add a veteran QB to go with the talent they have on their roster. The Chiefs rule the roost but the Raiders and Chargers are beatable teams.

Washington has some stud players on defense and they could view Haskins as holding them back from competing. They have cap space and could let DH develop a bit longer and see if he can be their QBOTF.

Cleveland and Denver seem to be the two more likely trade destinations to me.

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I think Stafford should be traded by week 7 if this whole thing is going to implode. It seems to be on that track with nothing telling us otherwise. I want to see Stafford go somewhere where he has a better chance at being successful. With this in mind, I really don't know if this is a better situation for Stafford but it is what it is. 

Cleveland Browns... yes.. the same Browns who have been awful for many many years. By this time, the Browns will know what they have in Mayfield. They have the cap space to absorb Stafford's contract. There is a lot of talent in OBJ, Landry, Hunt, Chubb and the defense has several pieces like Garrett and Ward. It's a tough division and it might even be tougher than the NFC North. Still, it could be a fit. Washington and Denver are the two other potential trade destinations IMO. If Drew Lock is out for any lengthy period of time, it is certainly a possibility that they want to add a veteran QB to go with the talent they have on their roster. The Chiefs rule the roost but the Raiders and Chargers are beatable teams.

Washington has some stud players on defense and they could view Haskins as holding them back from competing. They have cap space and could let DH develop a bit longer and see if he can be their QBOTF.

Cleveland and Denver seem to be the two more likely trade destinations to me.

I'd feel awful trading Stafford to Cleveland.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, Karnage84 said:

I wasn't able to watch the game this weekend but it probably was the best thing that could have happened. 

The way that I was approaching this season is that "the past is in the past, they have built the team that they wanted to be/have had the time to implement the things they wanted to implement". Clean slate and the like. I am willing to give a new staff, whether it's Patricia/Quinn or the next regime, the time to implement their plans. They've bought the groceries and made the meal. Now we're seeing what kind of skills they have in the kitchen. If only Gordon Ramsay could do his thing against Patricia. 

If we were sitting at 2-0 because we had dominated the Bears and won a game that we should have won plus upset the Packers, we would all be singing a different tune. None of that has happened, we're sitting at 0-2 and there isn't a whole lot to hold onto for hope and optimism. I can't see a scenario where we beat the Cardinals or the Saints. We are likely going into the bye at 0-4.

I was just listening to the POD cast and they brought up something that was interesting: Is Bob Quinn a bad drafter or is Matt Patricia a bad developer of players? Both things can be true but I would place more of that on Patricia because he would/should have some say on the draft plan and the selection of players. Once the players are on the roster it is his job to then develop their talent. 

If we do go 0-4, Quinn should fire Patricia on the Monday morning after the Saints game. The new coaching staff should be given the bye week to prepare for the Jaguars. Use the next few weeks as an evaluation period and begin moving pieces up until the trade deadline to help the future rebuild. With all of the injuries going on in the league there will be a number of teams in need of healthy bodies.

Really? Of course we would be singing a different tune. If Patricia won the Super Bowl last season he’d be mayor of Detroit. But.....he hasn’t.

He hasn’t won anything. Of course in Detroit losing coaches are rewarded and winning coaches get fired for not winning in the playoffs.