2020: Week 2 - v San Francisco 49ers

Bianconero

5 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

What's incredible is that our game plan didn't feature either TE. I can't for the life of me understand the thought process there.

To be fair, Herndon did drop two passes including a TD pass that hit him in the numbers. But I agree, we needed to run way more 2TE2WR1RB sets to try and create some running looks that we could throw out of for mismatches.

6 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

What's incredible is that our game plan didn't feature either TE. I can't for the life of me understand the thought process there.

Yup I almost started Herndon thinking who else can we go to... and I didn’t. And I’m glad I didn’t (we will see how Henry does 😉).

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s 100% to blame as well. But he’s a DC let’s not forget. Not a HC.

We blamed Schotty for our offense under Rex, also Sparano, Mornhinweg, Morton, Gailey, Bates, etc...

He's coaching them soft, they're playing far too much spot drop and off man. We dont have the pass rush for that. 

Just now, drew39k said:

To be fair, Herndon did drop two passes including a TD pass that hit him in the numbers. But I agree, we needed to run way more 2TE2WR1RB sets to try and create some running looks that we could throw out of for mismatches.

All thru the years all great TE's go over middle to make big plays. Herndon doesn't do that.

2 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Herndon's only target in the first half was a bubble screen & Griffin was non existent. Gases inability to adjust his offense to fit personnel has never been more on display. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Defense has been just as bad. Everything matters. Everyone should be held accountable. 

Everything matters, but not necessarily equally. When the offense looks that bad, the defense is going to be an afterthought. It's an offensive league, it is what it is.

Just now, NJC33 said:

Everything matters, but not necessarily equally. When the offense looks that bad, the defense is going to be an afterthought. It's an offensive league, it is what it is.

Its an all 3 phases league. The good teams aren't discrediting the impact all 3 phases has on the game. The defense put us in a hole the first play of the game. The offense didn't respond, the defense continued to play soft. It forces our offense into scenarios where we need chunk plays and that allows the defense to key on us. We were moving the ball decently, nothing great but we weren't exactly terrible but it wore us down. The team is bad right now in all phases. 

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Herndon's only target in the first half was a bubble screen & Griffin was non existent. Gases inability to adjust his offense to fit personnel has never been more on display. 

I don't disagree. With the WRs we trotted out there, there is no reason our TE production for the pair of them should have totaled 1 catch for 5 yards.. Griffin looked decent at times last year and Herndon should be more of a threat than he is. I'm just pointing out that if Herndon doesn't drop those balls his numbers would have been better and he could have been trusted to go to more.

Just now, drew39k said:

I don't disagree. With the WRs we trotted out there, there is no reason our TE production for the pair of them should have totaled 1 catch for 5 yards.. Griffin looked decent at times last year and Herndon should be more of a threat than he is. I'm just pointing out that if Herndon doesn't drop those balls his numbers would have been better and he could have been trusted to go to more.

I hear ya, but those opportunities came when the game was out of reach. I don't care about his number looking better. I can't understand why the game plan didn't call for two TE sets from the jump. Feed Herndon/Griffin early. Work the middle of the field. Utilize play action. This is rudimentary level stuff, lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, NJC33 said:

I hear ya, but those opportunities came when the game was out of reach. I don't care about his number looking better. I can't understand why the game plan didn't call for two TE sets from the jump. Feed Herndon/Griffin early. Work the middle of the field. Utilize play action. This is rudimentary level stuff, lol. 

We ran two TE sets just didn't feature them enough in the passing game. Play action is developed when the run game is established(see what Stefanski did with Chubb and the Browns on Thursday)

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Its an all 3 phases league. The good teams aren't discrediting the impact all 3 phases has on the game. The defense put us in a hole the first play of the game. The offense didn't respond, the defense continued to play soft. It forces our offense into scenarios where we need chunk plays and that allows the defense to key on us. We were moving the ball decently, nothing great but we weren't exactly terrible but it wore us down. The team is bad right now in all phases. 

I don't disagree, but Gase as the OC & HC is going to take the brunt of it - rightfully so.