2020: Week 2 - v San Francisco 49ers

Bianconero

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Its an all 3 phases league. The good teams aren't discrediting the impact all 3 phases has on the game. The defense put us in a hole the first play of the game. The offense didn't respond, the defense continued to play soft. It forces our offense into scenarios where we need chunk plays and that allows the defense to key on us. We were moving the ball decently, nothing great but we weren't exactly terrible but it wore us down. The team is bad right now in all phases. 

The offense stalled. But I agree, the defense played much worse today.

We’re just a bad team. Like every year, we have a bunch of guys that should be second or third options. We don’t have impact players. We need a #1 WR, #1  Edge and #1 Corner.

Our OL looks good though.

Edited by SDotNova

Most of GW's problems came from guys missing tackles and not getting to their gap assignments, not really the plays he was calling. He should still do better, but it's not all on him. 

Gase biggest problem is his play calling and decision making. We all knew the injuries were a problem. But he never took shots down the field and never set up plays for the TE. After a while, the defense knew the ball was either going to go to the 2-3 WRs or to Gore and they never had to worry about the ball going outside of the box. The defense didn't have to think at all. 

Edited by rickyt31

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Most of GW's problems came from guys missing tackles and not getting to their gap assignments, not really the plays he was calling. He should still do better, but it's not all on him. 

Gase biggest problem is his play calling and decision making. We all knew the injuries were a problem. But he never took shots down the field and never set up plays for the TE. After a while, the defense knew the ball was either going to go to the 2-3 WRs or to Gore and they never had to worry about the ball going outside of the box. The defense didn't have to think at all. 

GW's problems aren't his playcalling but Gase's is? Laughable. 

GW is calling way too much spot drop Cover 2. Our linebackers cannot cover well enough to do that. Its leaving huge holes in our pass D. Guess when he started blitzing? When Mullens came in. He's also letting guys play soft coverage on 3rd and short and we cant get off the field. Why not blitz Jimmy on a bum ankle and force him to make plays on the move?

Same critiques for Gase apply right? 

Also how do you take shots down the field with Barriers, Hogan and Malone?

Gase should have took 3 when he went for it on 4th and 1. We would have been down 1 score at best going to the half ended up down 3 scores. Then he kicks the FG down 3 scores that still has us down 3 scores. Poor decision making there. 

GW was bad, Gase was bad. No excuses for one and not the other.

At what point are we starting over?!? 

Week 4? Week 10? End of the season? 

Meh. Not even angry watching them this week. Pathetic excuse of a franchise from top to bottom. Makes you question just how the hell when we’ve tried many GM, HC, DC, OC, QB you name it and we still are ******* ****e!

Maybe Joe really did make a deal with the devil back in 69. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We ran two TE sets just didn't feature them enough in the passing game. Play action is developed when the run game is established(see what Stefanski did with Chubb and the Browns on Thursday)

I think we both know we were woefully prepared today. The game plan was a disaster & there was no attempt to deviate until it was too late. We literally started the second-half with Gore inside zone x2 and the same quick out we had been running all game - that's inexcusable.

When you aren't good enough to win with talent, you have to rely on creativity to give yourself a chance - motion, misdirection, RPO, roll outs, play action, pick plays etc. We trotted out Gore, Hogan, Berrios & co and asked them to go win their assignments.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Who's defending him? By saying our defense was crap? My bad Gregg Williams called an amazing game. If not for those broken plays by SF we would have shut them out. 

That’s not what i said.  I’m not talking about the defense, which has been horrible.  I’m talking about your defense of Gase when there is no excuse for how bad his offense has been, especially how bad his play calling is.  The dude doesn’t have game situation awareness either. He absolutely should have kicked the FG to make it 14-6 but didn’t. However he did kick the FG to make it 24-6, when they were out of it. 3rd and 10 and you throw a bubble screen.  3rd and goal and you throw a 3 yard out.  The guy has ALWAYS been terrible play calling.  

im sure you know I was joking though. I just don’t get how you can be on this guys defense.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

GW's problems aren't his playcalling but Gase's is? Laughable. 

GW is calling way too much spot drop Cover 2. Our linebackers cannot cover well enough to do that. Its leaving huge holes in our pass D. Guess when he started blitzing? When Mullens came in. He's also letting guys play soft coverage on 3rd and short and we cant get off the field. Why not blitz Jimmy on a bum ankle and force him to make plays on the move?

Same critiques for Gase apply right? 

Also how do you take shots down the field with Barriers, Hogan and Malone?

Gase should have took 3 when he went for it on 4th and 1. We would have been down 1 score at best going to the half ended up down 3 scores. Then he kicks the FG down 3 scores that still has us down 3 scores. Poor decision making there. 

GW was bad, Gase was bad. No excuses for one and not the other.

So letting them simply run a 9 route ONCE or twice to target them is a challenge? Seriously. Simply just taking a shot and giving them a chance to spread the defense or even make the defense believe they are willing to go deep is something we couldn't do? Bosa, Ford, and others were gone and still didn't try? Nah. You have a fair point with GW but not attempting to spread the ball or even designing legit plays for your TE's with a stripped WR core is trash play calling. He folded and didn't bother giving guys a shot even when we had nothing to lose. 

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

I think we both know we were woefully prepared today. The game plan was a disaster & there was no attempt to deviate until it was too late. We literally started the second-half with Gore inside zone x2 and the same quick out we had been running all game - that's inexcusable.

When you aren't good enough to win with talent, you have to rely on creativity to give yourself a chance - motion, misdirection, RPO, roll outs, play action, pick plays etc. We trotted out Gore, Hogan, Berrios & co and asked them to go win their assignments.

MIght as well run the wildcat while we're at it. 49ers have a disciplined defense, I had no faith in Malone and Berrios beating them Hogan did well until he went out. We were just outmatched, outcoached and out executed. It's really simple.

2 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

That’s not what i said.  I’m not talking about the defense, which has been horrible.  I’m talking about your defense of Gase when there is no excuse for how bad his offense has been, especially how bad his play calling is.  The dude doesn’t have game situation awareness either. He absolutely should have kicked the FG to make it 14-6 but didn’t. However he did kick the FG to make it 24-6, when they were out of it. 3rd and 10 and you throw a bubble screen.  3rd and goal and you throw a 3 yard out.  The guy has ALWAYS been terrible play calling.  

im sure you know I was joking though. I just don’t get how you can be on this guys defense.

I'm not defending him, I literally pointed out multiple things I took issue with. But since everyone is only discussing the offense I'm talking about the issues with our pass defense. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

MIght as well run the wildcat while we're at it. 49ers have a disciplined defense, I had no faith in Malone and Berrios beating them Hogan did well until he went out. We were just outmatched, outcoached and out executed. It's really simple.

THEY HAD THEIR 3 BEST PLAYERS OUT.  The offense looked worse today then last week. 

3 minutes ago, xenajets said:

At what point are we starting over?!? 

Whether we get better or not, we have to be active in FA. Get one of the WRs and one of the edge rushers. Pay up.

I don’t think anything we do changes that strategy. I don’t see a change in strategy. Only thing that’ll happen is we fire the coaching staff.

But we will be looking at QB regardless of what happens.