Hogwarts Legacy

Kiltman

Correct me if Im wrong, but from what I have seen this is strictly a 1P game and not online? If thats the case I feel like they really missed the boat here on taking a good game and turning it into a great sustainable online game.

The HP world is so easy to turn into a MMORPG type of game like New World or even a open world multiplayer like GTA V. Heck, you already have 'factions' with different magic styles with the different houses from the sorting hat.

Keeping it a 1P story type game seems to be doing it a massive disservice.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Correct me if Im wrong, but from what I have seen this is strictly a 1P game and not online? If thats the case I feel like they really missed the boat here on taking a good game and turning it into a great sustainable online game.

The HP world is so easy to turn into a MMORPG type of game like New World or even a open world multiplayer like GTA V. Heck, you already have 'factions' with different magic styles with the different houses from the sorting hat.

I can see what you mean, but that’d really water down certain things. You are right that it doesn’t have any of that.

I’m biased as a primarily single player person. But if this was a live service game I don’t think I’d be that interested. Been on that train too many times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I can see what you mean, but that’d really water down certain things. You are right that it doesn’t have any of that.

I’m biased as a primarily single player person. But if this was a live service game I don’t think I’d be that interested. Been on that train too many times.

True, there are definitely more pitfalls with a live service game but it just seems like they could do so much more than just a basic 1P RPG where you put 30hrs into it, beat it, then delete it. Maybe not go crazy with it, it would just be nice to be able to play with friends. There has to be a way where the game is still centered around the 1P story but you could also do quests/objectives with other players.

At this point in my life I play games almost exclusively play with friends and social interaction on/off. I dont have the time to sit here for hours by myself grinding 1P campaign style games anymore.

Now if any AAA studio decides to finally make a LOTR game that is MMORPG---whoof. Where do I sign. I still cant believe that hasnt been done yet to a proper scale from a big budget studio.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

True, there are definitely more pitfalls with a live service game but it just seems like they could do so much more than just a basic 1P RPG where you put 30hrs into it, beat it, then delete it. Maybe not go crazy with it, it would just be nice to be able to play with friends. There has to be a way where the game is still centered around the 1P story but you could also do quests/objectives with other players.

I feel like I am just trying this out now with the Avengers game and it's a big woof.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

At this point in my life I play games almost exclusively play with friends and social interaction on/off. I dont have the time to sit here for hours by myself grinding 1P campaign style games anymore.

I actually have the same problem but in reverse.  I don't have time to find someone to play a game with online, I prefer to just fire up my single player game and get going on it because I might need to save and sign off at any minute and pick it back up again later.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I actually have the same problem but in reverse.  I don't have time to find someone to play a game with online, I prefer to just fire up my single player game and get going on it because I might need to save and sign off at any minute and pick it back up again later.  

This is the same for me.  I never really viewed it in the inverse, but I guess it really just depends on what you want to prioritize.  I need to be able to just pause and put it down in a moments notice, and not really know when I'll be able to pick it back up.  Videogames are one of the only things I really do alone.  Everything else in my life involves other people.  Having a toddler has pushed me even further away from online.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Now if any AAA studio decides to finally make a LOTR game that is MMORPG---whoof. Where do I sign. I still cant believe that hasnt been done yet to a proper scale from a big budget studio.

It’ll be interesting how much choice you get in the story. Apparently you can make various friends to bring with you and obviously what your house is will make your experience different. If there are some larger choices that’d be even better for replayability 

Its just to me, what excites me is a fully realized Hogwarts experience that I can just immerse myself in. The nature of those live service games would break that. Like I don’t want to juggle 10+ currencies. Or have weekly caps on leveling up certain skills while seeing people run around  professors who never move, teabagging them in robes that look like fire is coming off of them ($9.99 on the Wizard Store). I can 100% see that game working for people who like them, but yeah I much prefer a good single player experience nowadays. Like none of those games launch well, and if not enough people grit through it they get killed off quick.

I could see them doing a online dungeon model, where you can go into the forbidden forest and it’s an ever changing thing. Let’s you team up with friends and get new items for the game. Like new sweater designs for your house, relics lost to time, a way to get rarer ingredients / seeds at higher drop rates. Or doing raid style content very similar to Destiny, just without the grind fest surrounding it. Maybe in a sequel or they make an Auror spinoff.

I used to just do party chat when I wanted to play single player games. Can still get that experience of talking with friends but could just play what I wanted. Harder to do very story heavy games though.

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

It’ll be interesting how much choice you get in the story. Apparently you can make various friends to bring with you and obviously what your house is will make your experience different. If there are some larger choices that’d be even better for replayability 

Its just to me, what excites me is a fully realized Hogwarts experience that I can just immerse myself in. The nature of those live service games would break that. Like I don’t want to juggle 10+ currencies. Or have weekly caps on leveling up certain skills while seeing people run around  professors who never move, teabagging them in robes that look like fire is coming off of them ($9.99 on the Wizard Store). I can 100% see that game working for people who like them, but yeah I much prefer a good single player experience nowadays. Like none of those games launch well, and if not enough people grit through it they get killed off quick.

I could see them doing a online dungeon model, where you can go into the forbidden forest and it’s an ever changing thing. Let’s you team up with friends and get new items for the game. Like new sweater designs for your house, relics lost to time, a way to get rarer ingredients / seeds at higher drop rates. Or doing raid style content very similar to Destiny, just without the grind fest surrounding it. Maybe in a sequel or they make an Auror spinoff.

I used to just do party chat when I wanted to play single player games. Can still get that experience of talking with friends but could just play what I wanted. Harder to do very story heavy games though.

Doesnt Red Dead have both? The regular game and then 'Red Dead Online' which is the multiplayer version? Would that be feasible I wonder?

Either way, I hope the game kicks butt. I have been waiting on a real big budget studio to make a HP and LOTR game for years, not only because of my childhood and love for both of those series but because they are such easy games with a blueprint already in place to make a bad*** video game on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Doesnt Red Dead have both? The regular game and then 'Red Dead Online' which is the multiplayer version? Would that be feasible I wonder?

Either way, I hope the game kicks butt. I have been waiting on a real big budget studio to make a HP and LOTR game for years, not only because of my childhood and love for both of those series but because they are such easy games with a blueprint already in place to make a bad*** video game on.

They do, really the only one that caters to both. And they kinda lag behind on the content for online like GTA. It takes one of the biggest games/studios to really do it.

I’m really hoping we get some new LOtR games too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Oh God no. Anything but that. MMORPGs are so riddled with anti-consumer practices and focus-group data driven gameplay due to the massive team size required to keep them up to date and relevant they lose almost any personality, charm, and atmosphere that an existing IP of this weight absolutely needs to lean into to be any good at all. I also won't give credence to the 'There's still a single player mode. You don't have to play online if you don't want to.' argument since a clear focus on online play relegates the single player experience to an after thought and syphons resources away from the truly creative types that want to make an actual game and not a glorified social media simulator with some Mario party games attached.

That said I'm approaching this with cautious optimism. I'm not a Harry Potter fan by any stretch because of all the kids I went to school with that only read Harry Potter and never made the jump to even slightly better fantasy material like The Worm Ouroboros or even the bloody Elric stories, but I can still see that the world lends itself perfectly to an open world rpg. Combat does look a little simplistic, but you can hardly expect the draw you're going to get from the Harry Potter fans to jump right into a Baldur's Gate or even jrpg turn based combat system. Obviously those aren't your only options, but I'm just using them as an example. I'll probably give the combat generous endorsement as long as it doesn't use the same old earth/water/fire weakness/resistance elemental magic system that I'm personally really sick of. The one major pitfall I can see bringing this game down is that the universe is pretty much set with not much design space left for anything that could surprise the fans without deviating from the source material. Adding to any cannon is really tricky like that... Just ask that stupid mouse that defiled Star Wars' long dead corpse.

3 hours ago, KuechTheCat said:

Oh God no. Anything but that. MMORPGs are so riddled with anti-consumer practices and focus-group data driven gameplay due to the massive team size required to keep them up to date and relevant they lose almost any personality, charm, and atmosphere that an existing IP of this weight absolutely needs to lean into to be any good at all. I also won't give credence to the 'There's still a single player mode. You don't have to play online if you don't want to.' argument since a clear focus on online play relegates the single player experience to an after thought and syphons resources away from the truly creative types that want to make an actual game and not a glorified social media simulator with some Mario party games attached.

That said I'm approaching this with cautious optimism. I'm not a Harry Potter fan by any stretch because of all the kids I went to school with that only read Harry Potter and never made the jump to even slightly better fantasy material like The Worm Ouroboros or even the bloody Elric stories, but I can still see that the world lends itself perfectly to an open world rpg. Combat does look a little simplistic, but you can hardly expect the draw you're going to get from the Harry Potter fans to jump right into a Baldur's Gate or even jrpg turn based combat system. Obviously those aren't your only options, but I'm just using them as an example. I'll probably give the combat generous endorsement as long as it doesn't use the same old earth/water/fire weakness/resistance elemental magic system that I'm personally really sick of. The one major pitfall I can see bringing this game down is that the universe is pretty much set with not much design space left for anything that could surprise the fans without deviating from the source material. Adding to any cannon is really tricky like that... Just ask that stupid mouse that defiled Star Wars' long dead corpse.

I mean the good news is the HP universe is actually quite massive so I don't see them having trouble keeping up with a expansive space that still stays true to the novels/movies.

They have the blueprint already there and I doubt they have enough time to include all of the different areas, but I hope they make it more than just being at Hogwarts and include some of the other settings towards the back half of the series.

Bad news is that since the HP world is sort of catered to kids, I don't think they magic system is going to be anything ground breaking or difficult to master. They have to keep it kid friendly so that usually means simplistic.