Hogwarts Legacy

Kiltman

It's amazing how much JK Rowling's opinions have hurt this franchise.

Don't want to get into the details of that, but it's hard to ignore how much it has hurt the brand. Steam is stopping people from review bombing (for now), but people are flooding the Tags for the game with some really bad stuff to try and get people to boycott.

27 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's amazing how much JK Rowling's opinions have hurt this franchise.

Don't want to get into the details of that, but it's hard to ignore how much it has hurt the brand. Steam is stopping people from review bombing (for now), but people are flooding the Tags for the game with some really bad stuff to try and get people to boycott.

How much has it really hurt it though?  For someone who follows HP very casually, but is close with hardcore fans (wife, and best friend) the universe seems to keep expanding and generating a ton of revenue, regardless.  They continue to pump money into their theme park expansions.  Their little mobile games reported reaching over $1 Billion in revenue, a few months ago. 

Do you think the review bombs and boycotts are going to hurt the sales of the game?  I'm assuming it's still going to be one of the top selling games of the year, if not number 1, with the Feb release.  I'd guess it will sell over 5 million, by the end of Feb, and that feels conservative.  That's before it releases on the last gen consoles, too.  As long as it's not a broken game, it's just going to keep selling from there.  It's selling preorders really well right now.  It's been a console mover, which hasn't been common this gen.  It could legit sell 20M copies, across all consoles, over its lifetime.

I don't think Rowling has hurt the franchise near as much as the online community likes to pretend.  Maybe her personal marketability, but not HP as a whole.  It's still a behemoth.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

How much has it really hurt it though?  For someone who follows HP very casually, but is close with hardcore fans (wife, and best friend) the universe seems to keep expanding and generating a ton of revenue, regardless.  They continue to pump money into their theme park expansions.  Their little mobile games reported reaching over $1 Billion in revenue, a few months ago. 

Do you think the review bombs and boycotts are going to hurt the sales of the game?  I'm assuming it's still going to be one of the top selling games of the year, if not number 1, with the Feb release.  I'd guess it will sell over 5 million, by the end of Feb, and that feels conservative.  That's before it releases on the last gen consoles, too.  As long as it's not a broken game, it's just going to keep selling from there.  It's selling preorders really well right now.  It's been a console mover, which hasn't been common this gen.  It could legit sell 20M copies, across all consoles, over its lifetime.

I don't think Rowling has hurt the franchise near as much as the online community likes to pretend.  Maybe her personal marketability, but not HP as a whole.  It's still a behemoth.  

I was also thinking of the movie franchise, but hard to figure out the reasons for that collapse. Was it because of what she said? Her poor writing? The actor controversies?

Unfair of me to blame it all on what she has said, so that's on me. I guess we won't know if it's hurt this game until it actually gets released.

14 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I kinda agree. I think there is a loud minority, but people are still spending. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I kinda agree. I think there is a loud minority, but people are still spending. 

Definitely a loud minority. Unfortunately I would bet there are many, many more people who agree with her bigotry than there are people who boycott Harry Potter over it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I was also thinking of the movie franchise, but hard to figure out the reasons for that collapse. Was it because of what she said? Her poor writing? The actor controversies?

Unfair of me to blame it all on what she has said, so that's on me. I guess we won't know if it's hurt this game until it actually gets released.

Is that meaning the Fantastic Beasts movies?  I don't know enough about them to make a claim either way, if it is.  I'm not even sure if they were failures or maybe just viewed in that light relative to the HP movies.  They had to do at least half decent to get the sequels, no?  I honestly didn't even know they were "Harry Potter" movies until the 2nd one was coming out.  Like I said, I'm a pretty casual fan, but it's something that is kind of in my peripherals, so I'm only speaking on what I see from my vantage point.  How did the book sell that was written like a play?  I remember negative feedback around its release, but it seemed like it did well.

Edited by OkeyDoke21

WB mismanagement, JK Rowling, the Fantastic beast movies being kinda bad, Ezra Miller/Actor controversies have been non-stop annoying from anything harry potter for a while. 

Hogwarts legacy is the one piece of media without significant issues so far since the last non-canon playbook lmao.

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Is that meaning the Fantastic Beasts movies?  I don't know if enough about them to make a claim either way, if it is.  I'm not even sure if they were failures or maybe just viewed in that light relative to the HP movies.  They had to do at least half decent to get the sequels, no?  I honestly didn't even know they were "Harry Potter" movies until the 2nd one was coming out.  Like I said, I'm a pretty casual fan, but it's something that is kind of in my peripherals, so I'm only speaking on what I see from my vantage point.  How did the book sell that was written like a play?  I remember negative feedback around its release, but it seemed like it did well.

Regarding the Fantastic Beasts movies: the 1st was a solid success ($234 million domestic, $814 million worldwide), the 2nd was a disappointment ($160 million domestic, $655 million worldwide), and the 3rd was a certified bomb ($96 million domestic, $407 million worldwide). They are the 3 lowest grossing movies in the entire extended franchise, with 2 and 3 being the lowest by a significant margin. Rowling announced a few years ago that this was a 5-movie series and it won't even get to 4.

It is a play (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) and the script was released as a "book". It sold very well with at least 4.5 million copies, but it was released 6 years ago and thus happened before any controversies. It also is very poorly regarded among Potter fans...because it's awful.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Regarding the Fantastic Beasts movies: the 1st was a solid success ($234 million domestic, $814 million worldwide), the 2nd was a disappointment ($160 million domestic, $655 million worldwide), and the 3rd was a certified bomb ($96 million domestic, $407 million worldwide). They are the 3 lowest grossing movies in the entire extended franchise, with 2 and 3 being the lowest by a significant margin. Rowling announced a few years ago that this was a 5-movie series and it won't even get to 4.

It is a play (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) and the script was released as a "book". It sold very well with at least 4.5 million copies, but it was released 6 years ago and thus happened before any controversies. It also is very poorly regarded among Potter fans...because it's awful.

Oh, ok.  Thanks for the info, and correction on the book/timing.  It feels like Rowling's comments, and the backlash, were a lot longer ago to me than they actually were.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 7:28 PM, JBURGE said:

😂

I think mine is a Mare or something

I got a damn pine marten.... which upon research is basically a ferret. Although I did get Slytherin as expected and Sycamore for a wand which fits pretty decent IMO as stupid as that whole thing is...

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 10:12 AM, OkeyDoke21 said:

I do think it hurts anything she personally creates going forward but I don't think it hurts anything within the universe itself or the creative license. I think its a lot easier to separate the hundreds of people involved in any of the movies or Hogwarts Legacy from her opinion but it will be a much bigger pill to swallow if she writes another book herself IMO. 

I just don't understand why someone who was so beloved would find this a worthy hill to die on... Such a stupid stupid decision. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I got a damn pine marten.... which upon research is basically a ferret. Although I did get Slytherin as expected and Sycamore for a wand which fits pretty decent IMO as stupid as that whole thing is...

LMAO

I think I am going to re-do mine because I answered to get Ravenclaw.