Investing In Linebackers

LETSGOBROWNIES

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, they’re not as important as a QB or DE, but there’s no position that’s so devalued you can ignore it completely with talented players.  There’s no position group we’ve invested less in.

Fair call. 

I guess 20 years of incompetence just burns. 

This roster benefits from 1 pick prior to 2016 and that's Joel Bitonio.

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Fair call. 

I guess 20 years of incompetence just burns. 

This roster benefits from 1 pick prior to 2016 and that's Joel Bitonio.

Yeah it’s hard to catch up talent wise when you’re always starting from scratch.

Other teams keep good players and develop talent.  We do neither tbh.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just getting the temp of the room on how people view off ball linebackers?  

I get the hesitation in spending big bucks on them if they’re not elite, and I understand they probably aren’t valuable enough for a top 5-10 pick, but I feel like our biggest defensive issues over the last 2 decades have been due to horrific play at the second level of the defense.

As of now (obv early and subject to change) I think I’m all in on multiple early investments at LB.

Thoughts?

I would argue the 3rd most important position on defense  behind EDGE/CB is sideline to sideline LBs. People dont value them for whatever reason, but you def. can tell every week when your team is getting torched by TEs and RBs. You cant tell me having Patrick Queen in the middle of our defense wouldnt make a world of difference.

Its 2020 where there are TEs that run like WRs and every team has a change of pace receiving RB. You need LBs who can cover now more than ever.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I would argue the 3rd most important position on defense  behind EDGE/CB is sideline to sideline LBs. People dont value them for whatever reason, but you def. can tell every week when your team is getting torched by TEs and RBs. You cant tell me having Patrick Queen in the middle of our defense wouldnt make a world of difference.

Its 2020 where there are TEs that run like WRs and every team has a change of pace receiving RB. You need LBs who can cover now more than ever.

I don’t care if they’re somewhat antiqued “thumpers”, if you have a guy who can shut ish down between the tackles when teams try to establish the run, that’s valuable.

Maybe one of these young guys show out this season or next, that would be great, but just like the Ravens or Steelers, we need to start having talented players in reserve roles too, not scouring the waiver wire after the first injury.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t care if they’re somewhat antiqued “thumpers”, if you have a guy who can shut ish down between the tackles when teams try to establish the run, that’s valuable.

Maybe one of these young guys show out this season or next, that would be great, but just like the Ravens or Steelers, we need to start having talented players in reserve roles too, not scouring the waiver wire after the first injury.

Agreed. Ive said it on here 1 million times. Im tired of the Ravens/Steelers kicking out arses because they invest HEAVY in their front 7s (LB particularly) and the Browns essentially do the complete opposite. Schobert was a guy like that and they let him walk. They clearly dont prioritize LB which is why we have Bert and Ernie currently starting and we let teams run all over us and we STILL cant guard a TE to save our lives.

We invested heavy in CB/S and all of them a injured haha

Edited by AkronsWitness

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I definitely wouldn't mind if we used our first next year on a stud LB. Or a DE, or a safety, or a CB if Greedy can never get healthy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pnies20 said:

TBH, The LBs have looked better than I thought they would. They aren’t great by any stretch of the imagination, but they’re showing signs of life. 

What? Maybe you’re thinking of the d line. The line is great but the LBs haven’t done a damn thing but miss tackles and blow coverage. 

It’s hard to evaluate them so far imo.

Week one they all were awful.  That’s not a question or point for discussion.

Last night they made some tackles and made Joe work for his yards, but it’s a rookie QB in his second start on a short week on the road.  Not the toughest test.

Small sample size too.

At no point have they looked “good” though.

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

What? Maybe you’re thinking of the d line. The line is great but the LBs haven’t done a damn thing but miss tackles and blow coverage. 

No I’m thinking of the LBs. Week 1 everybody was terrible. Like absolutely horrendous. Last night they were better. Notice I said “they were better than I thought.” That’s basically saying better than a high school team’s LBs.